Santa Clara Vanguard 2012

I can see your point on a lot of this. I do have to say though as someone who marched a few years ago, walking from the buses to warm up we didn't march in step. But once stretching was over it was complete game face on.

That being said, after talking to another alum from my years in the corps I am interested to see them in the lot.

until then, just keep marching....

I marched 87 SCV and remember the idea of "the performance begins in the lot" was a huge hype for the hornline. I'm not saying we started marching in step from the minute we got off the bus, but any time we lined up - whether it was before visual warm-up or whatever - our game face was on and being in step was a big deal. (But even we didn't take this to the extreme that I saw Phantom take it the other night). Still, the idea of "work like dogs, sweat like pigs, march like Gods!" was very much ingrained. I'm not saying SCV 2012 doesn't live by this, but I didn't see that same marching intensity as I have in years past. But again, the corps' standstill blew me away and I am rooting big time for Santa Clara. Go Mr. Moto and GO SCV!

• Like 1

Haven't read through this entire thread, but some points I've seen I agree with.

One point is the power of the brass line, and equal "dirtiness" in their drill.

It has been confirmed to me by Phantom staff of years past that, Music is a major focus for Phantom and their Brass staff to the point that they Air and Valve during their Visual Rehearsals. Even play sections of the music while playing drill.

Perhaps the constant push by the first year "premier" brass staff from Phantom is overpowering the Visual guys for field time and focus.

Perhaps it is the staff's focus to make sure that the hornline is sounding great, and the visual will come with time.

Because certainly there are not as many visual errors in the Drumline as there are in the Brass.

And from Experience the Curva-linear, fluctuating interval drill style SCV has, is hard to clean as there are very few reference points for the members to gauge.. They really have to rep the drill a lot to nail it down, and it will take them a least a couple more weeks to get clean.

But once it is clean look out. SCV has the package to medal and as huge fan of SCV, I hope they do.

Just hope they are clean by ATL, when Ill see them live for the first time.

Edited by Glenn426
  • Like 4

Haven't read through this entire thread, but some points I've seen I agree with.

One point is the power of the brass line, and equal "dirtiness" in their drill.

It has been confirmed to me by Phantom staff of years past that, Music is a major focus for Phantom and their Brass staff to the point that they Air and Valve during their Visual Rehearsals.

Perhaps the constant push by the first year "premier" brass staff from Phantom is overpowering the Visual guys for field time and focus.

Perhaps it is the staff's focus to make sure that the hornline is sounding great, and the visual will come with time.

Because certainly there are not as many visual errors in the Drumline as there are in the Brass.

And from Experience the Curva-linear, fluctuating interval drill style SCV has, is hard to clean as there are very few reference points for the members to gauge.. They really have to rep the drill a lot to nail it down, and it will take them a least a couple more weeks to get clean.

But once it is clean look out. SCV has the package to medal and as huge fan of SCV, I hope they do.

Just hope they are clean by ATL, when Ill see them live for the first time.

I thought JD Shaw was really the only Regiment person involved with the Brass side of things. And he is just the arranger. I thought much of the Brass staff is from Bluecoats.

Not as many visual errors in the drumline as there are in the brass??? That is pretty much a given for every drum corps drum line ever. Yeah, drumlines might have some tough drill moves, and a lot of the time they march like a bag of ###. But form to form is much easier for them, as their forms are often just variations on a line or curve, and the order hardly changes. Yes they have their fancy indoor drumline moves they put in, and a good drill designer won't be afraid to do a little more with the drums... but they just are not moving as much as the horns... as they really are not able to because of their equipment. Not that they aren't running around like crazy themselves, it's just a little easier to clean the smaller section, and the less complex drill forms.

Yes, they need some time to clean. As does everyone. But they are bit behind and got some catching up to do.

And I agree they could have the package to medal. And by ATL I'm sure they will put on a great performance. Atlanta is always when the performance level goes to the next level.

Kinda SCV related, I guess? A guy created Van Gogh's "Starry Night" using 7,000 dominoes. The painting doesn't "fill in" until he tips them over about 90 seconds in...

Music is a major focus for Phantom and their Brass staff to the point that they Air and Valve during their Visual Rehearsals.

Air and valve? Back when I marched, we used to sing and valve our parts. We started airing and valving in 2000 to some degree, but we still sang most of the time. And we took our singing so seriously that we'd have our section leaders play pitches so that we could sing in tune.

Air and valve? Back when I marched, we used to sing and valve our parts. We started airing and valving in 2000 to some degree, but we still sang most of the time. And we took our singing so seriously that we'd have our section leaders play pitches so that we could sing in tune.

I know SCV air and valved in 1989. Saw them rehearsing that way at the Centerville show during their afternoon practice....

I like the Cavies, but if you want to be one, catch a flight to Illinois ... GO SCV! ;)

Hmmm... I guess that is why I said I was an SCV alum? You misread my post. I said the relaxed approach works for the Cavaliers, but I like drum corps a little differently (which is why I wouldn't go to the Cavaliers). You didn't read the entire post, did you?

Hmmm... I guess that is why I said I was an SCV alum? You misread my post. I said the relaxed approach works for the Cavaliers, but I like drum corps a little differently (which is why I wouldn't go to the Cavaliers). You didn't read the entire post, did you?

Upon rereading, maybe you were saying that the current Vanguard members that want to be like Cavies should go to Cavies? Just trying to understand what you meant.

Upon rereading, maybe you were saying that the current Vanguard members that want to be like Cavies should go to Cavies? Just trying to understand what you meant.

My apologies for the confusion! That was meant as a general comment, not a dig against you or any current Vanguard members. As always, GO SCV! :)