Santa Clara Vanguard 2012

The main themes have their similarities for sure. I thought it was the main theme from Contact for a second the first time I heard them. Funny, because that would of fit just as well

with the Starry Night theme.

Hymn to a Blue Hour was written 2 years ago, so it wasn't sourced for the soundtrack from 1997.

Exactly what I was thinking! The similarities brings back memories of when I first heard the opening music from SCV's 1999 show and the opening credits for the new Battlestar Galactica.

1st: Holy hell this show is awesome. Love hearing SCV with a "non-cavaliers hornline" again.

2nd: SCV's website says Pete Weber is still the drill designer. Is Myron Rosander consulting at all in the visual department? If Weber is channeling his inner Rosander he is doing it exceptionally well; I honestly thought this was Rosander drill at first glance. Very large groups doing movement at once, very fluid, and lots of incredibly large angular forms...

1st: Holy hell this show is awesome. Love hearing SCV with a "non-cavaliers hornline" again.

2nd: SCV's website says Pete Weber is still the drill designer. Is Myron Rosander consulting at all in the visual department? If Weber is channeling his inner Rosander he is doing it exceptionally well; I honestly thought this was Rosander drill at first glance. Very large groups doing movement at once, very fluid, and lots of incredibly large angular forms...

I agree. I thought it looked very "Rosander," as well. Still looks like they are having some interval issues. I thought they were holes, but then they would fill in later. some people of have said that their drill is too easy. I don't think it is too easy, but I do think that they will fill in some of the holds with visuals later.

Pete is doing the drill for SCV. Myron hasn't done the drill since 2005

• Like 1

This is the first video that captures the sound that they had when I hear them live last week! So good!

Surely you don't think all that amped sound is "so good"? Admittedly camera placement makes a difference in this video, but if that's how they sounded live to you, I sure hope they dial back the amplification!

Please tell me this is just a troll attempt, and that you DO see the huge black box which is called a speaker RIGHT in front of the camera.

Who's the troll here? Read tromddumj's post again, which said that SCV, heard live, sounded like they did in that video with the speaker right in front of the camera. (Did you not notice that I said "camera placement makes a difference in this video"?) If you think that's how SCV should sound live, then we have vastly different ideas about what drum corps should sound like.

• Like 1

YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Words cannot begin to describe the joy in my heart now that SCV has a good hornline again. If they keep this staff for more than a year or two, it will just keep getting better!

Edited by cmathis
  • Like 2

Who's the troll here? Read tromddumj's post again, which said that SCV, heard live, sounded like they did in that video with the speaker right in front of the camera. (Did you not notice that I said "camera placement makes a difference in this video"?) If you think that's how SCV should sound live, then we have vastly different ideas about what drum corps should sound like.

Don't want to argue, here....... just thought I'd give my impressions of SCV live at Stanford. I had great seats at about the 50 yd line, and about 1/2 way up the stands (not real high, and not too low). I'm usually pretty aware of the "thunderous goo" you all talk about, as well as over-amped sound. I didn't get any of that, that night..... from where I was sitting. I was only blown away by the gorgeous, lush, and really LOUD sound of Vanguard's brass. It was wonderful. I guess it might depend upon where you are seated. Anyway.... just my .02. :smile:

• Like 2