Santa Clara Vanguard 2012

As a result of this discussion and the horrible and damaging effects it has done on my ego and general persona, I plan to do the following:

1. Throw my PC and cell phone off my balcony and only use smoke signals to communicate from now on.

2. Sell my car and only take horse-drawn transit from now on.

3. Never plan to accept any "new" thoughts that might enhance my life.

4. Never use electricity again.

5. Never shave my beard again.

Good bye modern world. DCP and the Santa Clara Vanguard 2012 thread have affected me in ways you can't imagine......

Haha,

Post pics of the beard! tongue.gif

CloudHype made sense, and I think you're being difficult, but you had to give a beard reference, so I'll give you ( thumbup.gif) for being a crazy DCPer!

We're all like that at times!

• Like 1

I'm upgrading at seasons end but how much of a memory hog is it?

Memory is sooo cheap now, it doesn't even matter. You can get 12GB or 32 GBs for like $100 bucks!

Haha,

Post pics of the beard! tongue.gif

CloudHype made sense, and I think you're being difficult, but you had to give a beard reference, so I'll give you ( thumbup.gif) for being a crazy DCPer!

We're all like that at times!

A voice of reason, but I've always looked at what you have posted and had that sense.

Sense or not, I'm a fan and this is a fan's perspective. I like his earlier drill and to tell you, I think this year it's really watered down. If people are going to make comparison's to Myron, what the "heck" happened to Pete's stuff (and I'm saying that telling you full well that I am a huge fan of Myron).

Or how about a link to some of your "design?"

You know what, I would like to separate some of the argument here. I know nothing of Cloudhype's designs and I can't comment on anything as such.

I will sum this up by saying I think some of Pete Weber's stuff is brilliant. As a fan, that is my opinion because I've viewed it and have seen Vanguard struggle with it and then master it.

Edited by LincolnV

A voice of reason, but I've always looked at what you have posted and had that sense.

Sense or not, I'm a fan and this is a fan's perspective. I like his earlier drill and to tell you, I think this year it's really watered down. If people are going to make comparison's to Myron, what the "heck" happened to Pete's stuff (and I'm saying that telling you full well that I am a huge fan of Myron).

Eh,

I like Myron's writing; I like Pete's writing. I like Gaines writing... I like Sylvester's drill too. You get the drill ( pun intended!)

I'm more of a visual kinda guy. I see what CloudHype is saying about the design of the drill and staging issues with Pete; it sometimes doesn't enable the performers to do as well competitively as it should. I respect what he has to say about it as a designer. I also see what what you're saying about the drill being a fan favorite. As a fan, I see what you're saying as well. It looks cool. It's gotta be both though, and I personally believe that quite a few designers in DCI are missing the mark when it comes to the drill being wow... They've got the staging down, but the excitement is an afterthought.

So, I just see two passionate people having a DCP spat... You both love the activity and this is the kind of stuff that NFL, NHL, and NBA fans do all the time....

Eh, no biggie but I wouldn't try and get on each other's cases about it. cool.gif

I like Myron's writing; I like Pete's writing. I like Gaines writing... I like Sylvester's drill too. You get the drill ( pun intended!)

I'm more of a visual kinda guy. I see what CloudHype is saying about the design of the drill and staging issues with Pete; it sometimes doesn't enable the performers to do as well competitively as it should. I respect what he has to say about it as a designer. I also see what what you're saying about the drill being a fan favorite. As a fan, I see what you're saying as well. It looks cool. It's gotta be both though, and I personally believe that quite a few designers in DCI are missing the mark when it comes to the drill being wow... They've got the staging down, but the excitement is an afterthought.

So, I just see two passionate people having a DCP spat... You both love the activity and this is the kind of stuff that NFL, NHL, and NBA fans do all the time....

Eh, no biggie but I wouldn't try and get on each other's cases about it. cool.gif

Thanks!

People are saying "Vanguard is back!" They aren't quite. Their percussion and brass programs are MUCH better. Yet somehow visual is down - including guard. A few years ago visual was a driver with their program including a top notch guard.

This isn't a question of balance. IMO this is a question of a visual program that is suddenly sub-par with brass and percussion - not equal. It's not about taming drill and better placements, it's about making drill almost anonymous in comparison to other captions.

They are the VANGUARD and that means a lot.

I don't care what judges think. I am a huge fan of Vanguard and have been since I watched them first on the 1981 DCI Midwest broadcast on PBS and then in person during their subsequent tour through Ontario into Quebec.