Santa Clara Vanguard 2012

I just finished watching (again) the 25th Anniversary special performance of Phantom of the Opera from the Royal Albert Hall ... and one thought came to my mind at the end regarding Vanguard:

What if Vanguard slightly changed the soft ending of their show to where it ended with a short silence, the corps singing "It's over now ... the Music of the ... " and end with the final chords of "Music of the Night?" I think that would be AMAZING! :babies:

• Like 1

I just finished watching (again) the 25th Anniversary special performance of Phantom of the Opera from the Royal Albert Hall ... and one thought came to my mind at the end regarding Vanguard:

What if Vanguard slightly changed the soft ending of their show to where it ended with a short silence, the corps singing "It's over now ... the Music of the ... " and end with the final chords of "Music of the Night?" I think that would be AMAZING! :babies:

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes YES YES YES FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING GOOD YES

icon_4.gificon_4.gificon_4.gificon_4.gificon_4.gificon_4.gificon_4.gif

• Like 1

Its funny that the most recent comment on Vanguard's show is about the ending...I just watched the Atlanta performance again and came here to say that I think the ending as it is written is one of my favorites of all time. I'm not always a fan of soft endings, but the drill is incredible and the impact of the V and the flag painting is wonderfully dramatic.

• Like 3

Its funny that the most recent comment on Vanguard's show is about the ending...I just watched the Atlanta performance again and came here to say that I think the ending as it is written is one of my favorites of all time. I'm not always a fan of soft endings, but the drill is incredible and the impact of the V and the flag painting is wonderfully dramatic.

Oh, don't get me wrong ... I love the ending as it is. I just feel like it would be even more touching and better for GE if they did were to end up doing what I posted earlier. :thumbup:

One issue I have though is their color guard, which I mentioned during the webcast today in that specific thread. After watching SCV once more in the replay, it's their flag work that's really bothering me. So many stickouts and asynchronous choregoraphy that's supposed to be synchronous. Their rifle and saber work seemed pretty good though. Comparing their flag work to other corps, unfortunately, just doesn't compare.

Cmon SCV. FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT!

I agree to an extent, but my perception, at least with the final segment, is that the flags look "off" partially because they aren't identical. Each one is a different part of the starry night painting at the end. Maybe its bad design, but I think they may actually be more together than they look.

Idk... Their program is so classy, I think it would be a shame to throw something cheesy like that in.

• Like 3

I must get something off my chest...

I'll preface by saying that while I'm a PR homer, SCV is the only corps where I've never met a show I didn't like since I started watching in 1993. This year is no different. I like SCV 2012.

...but when I saw the show announcement, I peed a little. I thought I'd love it. But I really only (quite) like it.

I never knew what was wrong with Key Poulan, never understood why he got so much grief. And now I definitely don't understand it. I would argue that these arrangements sound nothing like JD Shaw (whose arrangements I generally like tremendously), but also that they aren't as good as what Key Poulan was producing for much of the last decade. Is it because JD Shaw was the caption head at PR, continuously adding "excitement" throughout the season (e.g., rewrites, dynamics)?

I must get something off my chest...

I'll preface by saying that while I'm a PR homer, SCV is the only corps where I've never met a show I didn't like since I started watching in 1993. This year is no different. I like SCV 2012.

...but when I saw the show announcement, I peed a little. I thought I'd love it. But I really only (quite) like it.

I never knew what was wrong with Key Poulan, never understood why he got so much grief. And now I definitely don't understand it. I would argue that these arrangements sound nothing like JD Shaw (whose arrangements I generally like tremendously), but also that they aren't as good as what Key Poulan was producing for much of the last decade. Is it because JD Shaw was the caption head at PR, continuously adding "excitement" throughout the season (e.g., rewrites, dynamics)?

I watched SCV's ensemble rehearsal last night .. and visual block this morning. JD just flew in last night and was pretty quiet for the ensemble rehearsal but was in the ear of caption head making tweaks and adjustments the entire time. By the time the run went down ... they were monsters! As I understand it ... JD will surely become more vocal for the rest of the week. If it were me .. i would do the same. Take some time to soak in how the caption head is interpreting his writing .. see how the corps is performing .. then kick it in to gear ... make some changes for the better ... and push them to the finish.

People have to realize that just because you write a book doesn't mean you're there teaching the line to play your material. That's the caption head and brass staffs job. However, with JD on tour with the corps this week, I IMMEDIATELY noticed marked improvements in phrasing, sustaining builds, maxing impacts .. all the little things that brings music to life. Just his presence there makes a difference ... his sidebar input makes a difference .. and any work he does with the corps for the next 6 days is sure to make a difference. This is just the boost that SCV needed at just the right time.

The guard was making some changes and even adding some difficulty to their work. Jennifo is a master tactition and knows how to get results by giving instructinos in a short, concise and masterful manner.

There were also a couple of drill moves being adjusted to allow the new guard work to be featured and staged more effectively. It just feels like Vanguard as a whole is doing all the right things at just the right time.

I can't even tell you how clean Rennick's line was last night. They've also been working on adding emotional impact to their playing in order to enhance what the brass have been working on. It's funny how just asking a battery LOOK more aggressive for the last 2 counts of a phrase makes them sound more aggressive. Pretty cool to witness this corps drive to the end.

I wish they rehearsed with a bit more drive and energy ... but the weather does suck pretty bad. Even if I were 19 again ... I would feel like crap out there working in 96% humidity at 92 degrees. Not fun. But let's be clear .... when it's time to go full game ... they're a different animal.

I'm pumped to see them live and in uniform tonight at J. Birney Crum ... and I won't be surprised at all if they jump up to 3rd as I've expected for about a month now. It's TIME!!

Edited by supersop
  • Like 3