"Heart Is More Than Winning"

Actually my brother got me into the Bluecoats. He marched from 1979-1982 (he joined in 79 but they folded that year) He introduced me to corps and then I joined in 1982. 83 we folded again but when the corps started again I was there. He tried to join midseason in 84 to age out but then his hours at work changed and he wasn't gonna be able to do it. He did support my efforts the whole time I marched and was even a bus driver in my age out year and beyond. One thing I will always remember him for is the week before finals in 1987 when it looked like we were gonna be in he handed me an ohio state flag that he had purchased so we could hang it from our bass drum stack at finals showing the drum corps world that Ohio Drum Corps had finally made finals. I still have that flag, and until recently (i changed jobs) it was hanging in my office.

great story.........DC can move you in some wonderful ways..........

Here's a story that is along the same lines as part of your story.

In 1988 we had a number of shows with BD and our two hornlines started getting along very well to the point that they would exchange bags of candy on retreat with each other.

Well at finals retreat we happened to be set up next to BD on the field and since the placements for semi's were not announced that year BD didn't know that they weren't still undefeated going into finals, so they were pretty much expecting to win that year. Well we all know that Madison took the crown.

A mellophone player in our corps, after the announcement of scores and such, happened to look over at BDs horn line and noticed an alto player. He watched her take of her gloves and shoes to place on the field (she was obviously aging out that year), and when she squated down to put them on the field he noticed she just started sobbing.

He stepped out of ranks and walked over to her and placed his hand on her shoulder, she stood up, gave him a long hug while crying on his shoulder and all she said was - "seven years and this is how it ends"

Now we had a rather rough season that year and by the end of tour all of us were so burned out that we just couldn't wait for the season to end, and when that mellophone player recounted the story of the girl in BDs horn line on our bus ride home it really hit home to me. you see I had been with the corps for 7 year, it was my age out year, and I just realized that my last season as a bluecoat ended with my wishing the last week or so would just get over with. Needless to say I started crying on my bus partner's shoulder right then and there because "seven years and that's how it ended"

again....a VERY touching situation.......I can only imagine what she, and you also felt like.

I can say that I felt a similiar feeling after '78.

We had made up a huge deficit with SCV and PR that year, and were bunched within .5 of each other in prelims.

I can only say that I feel fortunate in what was accomplished that season.

Edited by Blue Devil Legend

Phil and Rich...will you two stop!! I keep blubbering with tears as I read this thread. Seriously, there is no way to understand the depth of emotion that one goes through as they age out, but you two have managed to portray it extremely well.

Thanks Mama!!!!!!!!!.......

My junior year of college had just ended towards the end of May 1984, and I was looking for a summer job. One night, after I arrived home from taking my girlfriend out, my parents set me down and told me that they had made a few calls and found out that the Cavaliers had one opening for the summer, and that it was mine if I wanted to go. They knew how much of a DC freak I was at the time, because I could hear about 2 notes from any corps from the previous 6 years, and tell them which corps, which year and which song they were playing. I was strictly a fan at the time (I had only marched high school band previously), and they wanted to give me an early graduation present since it would be my age-out year, and it was the first, and last opportunity I'd ever have to march. Needless to say, I couldn't pack fast enough, because I was to catch the first flight the next day to meet up with the corps before they left on tour.

My first real goosebump moment was at DCI- Midwest in Whitewater. After our finals performance, while marching off the field, the tears were streaming down my face, because I finally felt what countless others had felt before me while marching in a place such as Whitewater. The crowds, the adoration, etc. I had finally made it! I had played solos with my high school band in front of 60,000 fans at Dallas Cowboys games, but that experience didn't come close in comparison to what I felt that night in Whitewater.

My second moment was the week before finals in Atlanta. One of our stops along the way was the annual Dallas show. Coincidentally, the show has always been hosted by my high school alma mater, on the very field where I had marched so many Friday nights. So there I was, marching at the very highest level, in front of my family and countless friends on my "home field". I almost couldn't finish that show, because I was watching the elation on my parents' faces, and I lost it.

Of all the shows that summer, that one show in Dallas, 19 years ago, is the one where I have the most vivid memories of that glorious summer.

THAT.....just hit home with me.............thanks. :)

so thank you guys for making me bawl my eyes out. Such beautiful stories.

Two memories I have as a fan: both from Finals '92

1992 SCV. My Boyfriend (then husband then ex husband...) aged out that year. So I pretty much fallowed the corps around the West and then flew out to Madison to watch him age out. 1992 was emotional for so many reasons. 20 year anniversary, Gail's last year, Shawn's age-out year, "Tradition"...

First... when SCV marched on the field. My heart just swelled with so much pride. I knew how hard it had been on the corps, not doing as well as they hoped. There were still many in the corps that had marched in 89 and knew what it felt to be a champion... All of them knew what it felt to hold their head in pride though.

Ok.. on w/ the story (hehe) They start their warm up on the end zone.... no one knew what they were going to play. They started so very quietly, you couldn't even tell. Peopel were still adjusting and finding their seats in the last seconds before the show started.... talking, rustling, etc... and then, as if it was all at once, we all suddenly realized....they're warming up with Music of the Night. A emotional hush fell over the entire stadium. If not for the horns and drums, you really could have heard a pin drop. Tears flew freely from men and women alike in the audience. Before the last few notes were played, a standing (and screaming) ovation ensued through out the stadium.

The second memory was after the performance, back at the busses...the horn line arced up and the few bystanders sat for what they thought would be a replay of their show. No. Clowns. I've not heard it so beautifully played since. Every ounce of emotion these kids had in their souls came out of their horns. Some could barely hold on by the end, and I just bawled my eyes out. At the end, Gail passed by me, my mother and some age outs we were standing with and under his breath he said "I just hope it was enough".

It was Gail. It was.

-_-