"Heart Is More Than Winning"

very cool, in many ways.

Rich, that was one, if not the best, I have read on here. Thanks for sharing it.

Jimmy

Well, 1976 was a very bitter sweet season for me persoanlly. I was marching in the Dutch Boy Cadets and we had the best horn line we had ever had that year. Our guard and drum line were just as good and we stood a chance at making finals at some of our favorite shows.

We made finals in "A" Class in Butler, PA. and beat our crosstown rivals the Flying Dutchmen in prelims and the world seemed perfect, all beit for just that moment in time. After the Butler show we went to Marion for the U.S. After we did our prelim show we came back to the school and practised. After we were done, the corps director sat us down and told us we were merging with the Flying Dutchmen to form a super corps. I went to be by myself and think about this.

I had been with Dutch Boy from day one in 1969 and didn't want this to end.

We came home and practised that whole week for Nationals that week end. Going on for retreat, we formed both corps together to make one huge corps. I was in tears all retreat because I didn't want this merger to take place. Something inside me just didn't seem right.

I stood there and thought about all the great times we had from getting new horns in 1972, going to Germany in 1974 and all the firends I had made during those......seven years.......

Northstars lasted 2 years and then folded.

Edited by ODBC

Well, 1976 was a very bitter sweet season for me persoanlly. I was marching in the Dutch Boy Cadets and we had the best horn line we had ever had that year. Our guard and drum line were just as good and we stood a chance at making finals at some of our favorite shows.

We made finals in "A" Class in Butler, PA. and beat our crosstown rivals the Flying Dutchmen in prelims and the world seemed perfect, all beit for just that moment in time. After the Butler show we went to Marion for the U.S. After we did our prelim show we came back to the school and practised. After we were done, the corps director sat us down and told us we were merging with the Flying Dutchmen to form a super corps. I went to be by myself and think about this.

I had been with Dutch Boy from day one in 1969 and didn't want this to end.

We came home and practised that whole week for Nationals that week end. Going on for retreat, we formed both corps together to make one huge corps. I was in tears all retreat because I didn't want this merger to take place. Something inside me just didn't seem right.

I stood there and thought about all the great times we had from getting new horns in 1972, going to Germany in 1974 and all the firends I had made during those......seven years.......

Northstars lasted 2 years and then folded.

I know how you feel...we merged with the Frontiersmen and had to take their name and majority of their music. It was a sad summer.

Were you guys at the London, Ontario show in '76?

Don't forget winning the NT Open...was that '74 or '75? I say 1975.

Original post edited. (there were a few more "circuit" shows in '75 - all in all, we probably broke even :) )

Here are the compiled results from both corpsreps.com, and fromthe pressbox.com:

Sunday June 22, 1975

San Bruno CA

Position Corps Score

1 Blue Devils 72.950

2 Santa Clara Vanguard 71.850

Tuesday July 1, 1975

Boise ID DCI West Championships

Position Corps Score

2 Santa Clara Vanguard 77.700

3 Blue Devils 77.050

Tuesday July 8, 1975

Seattle WA

Position Corps Score

1 Blue Devils 79.950

2 Santa Clara Vanguard 79.350

Wednesday July 9, 1975

Position Corps Score

1 Vanguard 81.40

2 Blue Devils 80.95

Saturday August 2, 1975

Whitewater WI DCI Midwest

Position Corps Score

2 Santa Clara Vanguard 85.400

3 Blue Devils 83.550

Friday August 8, 1975

Lynn MA World Open - Class A Prelims

Position Corps Score

1 Santa Clara Vanguard 89.050

3 Blue Devils 88.250

Saturday August 9, 1975

Everett MA World Open

Position Corps Score

Class A

1 Blue Devils 91.050

2 Santa Clara Vanguard 89.050

Monday August 11, 1975

Boston MA CYO Nationals

Position Corps Score

3 Blue Devils 87.450

4 Santa Clara Vanguard 86.800

Friday August 15, 1975

Philadelphia PA DCI World Championships - Prelims STADIUM: Franklin Field DCI

Position Corps Score

2 Santa Clara Vanguard 88.750

3 Blue Devils 87.150

Saturday August 16, 1975

Philadelphia PA DCI World Championships STADIUM: Franklin Field DCI

Position Corps Score

2 Santa Clara Vanguard 91.000

3 Blue Devils 88.600

I know how you feel...we merged with the Frontiersmen and had to take their name and majority of their music. It was a sad summer.

Were you guys at the London, Ontario show in '76?

I believe we were but that's a bit foggy right now !! :blink:

• 7 years later...

Great story

I moved from NJ in 76 to march with Madison and competed against you BD a lot that year.

I remember seeing those North drums and they were soo cool looking.

The BD's were awesome that year.

I had to learn 2 shows that year cause of you guys !!!

A good friend of Mine, Patti Ann Rago, also moved from NJ and Marched with SCV in the guard that year.

1976 was a great year in my book.

I marched with Patti Ann Rago in the Falcon Cadets rifle line, 1973-74. She was the only female in the rifle line.

• 3 weeks later...

I love it when these old threads appear out of nowhere, especially if I missed it first time around. Great story.

• 10 months later...

Has it really been 12 years since I wrote this?

Where has the time went?

• Like 1