Blue Knights 2012

Ok back to what the topic at hand is. Blue knights is going to have great design, guard, percussion and the muisc itself is going to be crazy because of jay and ralfie but the horn lines musical skill is going to be lower than it has been in the past

I'm going to have to disagree with you about the hornline on this one. Andy Smart was awesome. Amazing musician. Fantastic teacher. He KNEW the activity and the art of performing like the back of his hand. But the new caption head, Brad Toth, is pretty incredible as well. He marched in the Cadets from '97 - '01 along with many fellow staff members, got a music education degree from Texas State, and currently teaches at a successful Texas school. Something cool and unique about BK is that EVERY single one of their staff members is connected educationally in some way. They either marched together, taught together, or were taught together. So, no matter what block the BK hornline kids are in, they will be getting the exact same information. That's one thing that has been an issue for them in the past and has definitely held them back - mixed signals. I actually think that the hornline will be one of the strongest in the corps.

People look at brass caption head changes as constantly negative. Especially when it's to some no-name guy. Not always the case. When Cavies got Bertman back in the day, he led them to the most recent 3-peat in DCI history and 5 total championships. Maybe not this year, but I think BK could do the same.

Opinions?

• Like 1

It's about the experience not the score.

well said.

I think drum corps would be better off if everyone understood this. It's not to say the competitive aspect is NOT important, but it shouldn't be MORE important.

• Like 1

I'm going to have to disagree with you about the hornline on this one. Andy Smart was awesome. Amazing musician. Fantastic teacher. He KNEW the activity and the art of performing like the back of his hand. But the new caption head, Brad Toth, is pretty incredible as well. He marched in the Cadets from '97 - '01 along with many fellow staff members, got a music education degree from Texas State, and currently teaches at a successful Texas school. Something cool and unique about BK is that EVERY single one of their staff members is connected educationally in some way. They either marched together, taught together, or were taught together. So, no matter what block the BK hornline kids are in, they will be getting the exact same information. That's one thing that has been an issue for them in the past and has definitely held them back - mixed signals. I actually think that the hornline will be one of the strongest in the corps.

People look at brass caption head changes as constantly negative. Especially when it's to some no-name guy. Not always the case. When Cavies got Bertman back in the day, he led them to the most recent 3-peat in DCI history and 5 total championships. Maybe not this year, but I think BK could do the same.

Opinions?

Andy smart was it? well i loved what he did with the corps i mean one of my favorite youtube video is the "andy takes them to 11" i mean I loved the 2010 BK hornline. I am not saying BK is going to suck im just saying if you'd have to guess id put the hornline at the bottom i mean from what i heard people focus more on the visual portion (which is understandable since Marc Sylvester is there) than the music i feel like they fill spots in certain sections because of the visual part rather than the musical talent and i have one of my friends that made the corps this year and honestly i think he has no musical skill what so ever

Edited by FJMyourself
  • Like 2

Andy smart was it? well i loved what he did with the corp i mean one of my favorite youtube video is the "andy takes them to 11" i mean I loved the 2010 BK hornline. I am not saying BK is going to suck im just saying if you'd have to guess id put the hornline at the bottom i mean from what i heard people focus more on the visual portion (which is understandable since Marc Sylvester is there) than the music i feel like they fill spots in certain sections because of the visual part rather than the musical talent and i have one of my friends that made the corps this year and honestly i think he has no musical skill what so ever

Although Andy is the better musician, Brad is a better teacher. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. They definitely don't put more emphasis on the visual program.

• Like 1

We did...

Are you talking about the Youtube vidoes? i mean it WAS the first camp i mean and Stravinsky is hard music so im surprised that any corps is playing, and i see that your marching Academy and your show has to be the hardest Stravinsky repertoire out there. so good luck. But still the sound of the videos were terrible.

• Like 1

Andy smart was it? well i loved what he did with the corp i mean one of my favorite youtube video is the "andy takes them to 11" i mean I loved the 2010 BK hornline. I am not saying BK is going to suck im just saying if you'd have to guess id put the hornline at the bottom i mean from what i heard people focus more on the visual portion (which is understandable since Marc Sylvester is there) than the music i feel like they fill spots in certain sections because of the visual part rather than the musical talent and i have one of my friends that made the corps this year and honestly i think he has no musical skill what so ever

Sorry, it's hard to take anyone seriously when they can't even spell "corps" correctly.

• Like 1

I sometimes think there an unstated list of tunes you just don't do for various reasons. One reason is that a tune has been done so much, by so many, so well. In the case of "Firebird" , it is on the list I would make of tune I would avoid.

Drum corps and many bands have done this music extremely well. A lot of it works on the field, I feel much of it does not.

I am eager to see and hear what they bring to it. Like last year's show, the aesthetic they are going for may be somewhat a bit of nostalgia.

• Like 1