Madison Scouts 2012

Don't know if this has been addressed...or commented on...but is there any chance of the Scouts adding a red sash this year? And why the white at the end of the show? The visual scores are telling something...drill, I assume...and some technique? Color has to be some of the issue....like the uniform...just rather dull.

Color..? Lets take a look at the Staff's past efforts..

STAR: And their lack of color in the drum corps proper uniforms..1993. Cadets and Crown are also doing this Exact "Blank page" with the Corps proper uniform and used the guard for color.

BLAST: Didn't their performers wear all Black and used lights and guard for color splashes..?

Scouts 2010 2011 2012 : With the Blast and Star and Crown staff.. And they dressed Scouts in a dark color and only in 2012 did they utilize color to the guard costume (nice job Chad)..

So my guess in NO! Based on the Scouts design staff and the history of the Scouts staff, I don't think that the staff is going to add any color to the palette...

(and don't even bother to ask about spats, only a fool would ask at this point in time...)

• Like 1

Don't know if this has been addressed...or commented on...but is there any chance of the Scouts adding a red sash this year? And why the white at the end of the show? The visual scores are telling something...drill, I assume...and some technique? Color has to be some of the issue....like the uniform...just rather dull. Guard look is cool....except for the end of the show...just don't get that. I am sure there is some meaning to it...what, I don't know. Otherwise...love the show. Saw them per season in Franklin, IN...a real improvement overall....so surprised that they are placing where they are. To me they are way better than that.

I think if they add the red sash itll be a mess for us red green colorblind peopletongue.gif

Color..? Lets take a look at the Staff's past efforts..

STAR: And their lack of color in the drum corps proper uniforms..1993. Cadets and Crown are also doing this Exact "Blank page" with the Corps proper uniform and used the guard for color.

BLAST: Didn't their performers wear all Black and used lights and guard for color splashes..?

Scouts 2010 2011 2012 : With the Blast and Star and Crown staff.. And they dressed Scouts in a dark color and only in 2012 did they utilize color to the guard costume (nice job Chad)..

So my guess in NO! Based on the Scouts design staff and the history of the Scouts staff, I don't think that the staff is going to add any color to the palette...

(and don't even bother to ask about spats, only a fool would ask at this point in time...)

Zing! Go Scouts! Can't wait to see them this Saturday!

After seeing this show live a couple of times & watching & listening to it numerous times, I have a few observations;

While I really like this show, I wish the arrangements were more traditional. The chopped up musical pieces & dissonant chords leave me wondering why corps cant pick a song & play it as originally written.

The drill just isn't interesting enough to compete with the top 6, & the Scouts aren't very good at marching.

The Drum line is very very good. The Scouts snare line was the cleanest line at the Lisle Cavies show. They are being underscored right now.

The uniform needs some red on the hats & sashes. I don't understand why the white belts were replaced with black. The uni is just too dark & too dull.

The first few weeks of the season it looked like the Scouts could make a run for top 6 or 7, but now they are in the pack of corps battling for the 8 to 10 spot, with Cavies & Spirit.

I hope that this show has legs & that the Scouts can continue to improve their scores.

• Like 1

Scouts drum line with 3 consecutive solid shows sandwiching the disappointing Minnie result. Beat Phantom's line last week. This line is for real!!! Only 0.5 in back of Cadets tonight. GO SCOUTS! Well done

Scouts drum line with 3 consecutive solid shows sandwiching the disappointing Minnie result. Beat Phantom's line last week. This line is for real!!! Only 0.5 in back of Cadets last night. GO SCOUTS! Well done. Hopefully the judges are becoming more comfortable with giving the line their just rewards.

Edited by Storkysr
  • Like 1

I had a chance to watch their rehearsal last Sunday at Osseo High School. I really like the positive approach that Lee Beddis and his staff have with this line. They are a great group of young men. I am very impressed with how respectful they are with regard to instructors, alumni, and the Scouts traditions.

:thumbup:

• Like 1

I like Beddis. but the way he tunes snares bugs me. They are way way way too choked. If you get the chance to hear one real close, up close the Scouts snare drums sound like a plastic bucket. Because of this choked tuning, their snares don't project like other lines. My Son & I noticed this at the Lisle Cavies show. The difference between the Scouts & all of the other snare lines was obvious.

Edited by FlamMan

Lots of suggestions, but dont you think the staff know the kids capabilities?

With the group of guys they have and their talent level, the uniforms work. Not visually strong and the dark colors help hide it. White belt change to black was smart. Made company fronts look dirty because the belts weren't all at the same height, something they have no control over.

As mentioned, a dark, color minimum uniform allows the colorguard flags to really do their part in selling the show visually.

Lots of suggestions, but dont you think the staff know the kids capabilities?

With the group of guys they have and their talent level, the uniforms work. Not visually strong and the dark colors help hide it. White belt change to black was smart. Made company fronts look dirty because the belts weren't all at the same height, something they have no control over.

As mentioned, a dark, color minimum uniform allows the colorguard flags to really do their part in selling the show visually.