Madison Scouts 2012

So I found this link on Face Book promoting the Scouts Honor Documentary...in certain

parts, you can hear the current hornline playing "Promanade" and "Great Gate of

Keiv". Sounds nice and lush...can't wait to hear the music that's inside the frame

of Pictures! Oh, an I also can't wait to see the finished product of the film. :)

hey this is cool, if everyone would just take a moment and cool down and enjoy some great teaser of the Scouts this year.

I was responding to this...

As for 'hate'...note that I did not use the word "hate" at all.

Your own slanted description of BD's show design approach and Madison's show design approach are evidence enough of your thoughts about what BD does. You did not even try to make it balanced, which is fine.

I win again. thanks for trying. oh and I wasn't aiming for Fox news fair and balanced, I was aiming for accuracy in facts.

that said I do look forward to enjoying the MadMens 2012 production

• Like 2

I win again. thanks for trying. oh and I wasn't aiming for Fox news fair and balanced, I was aiming for accuracy in facts.

Accuracy??? Hardly. But...whatever.

that said I do look forward to enjoying the MadMens 2012 production

It does sound great, for sure.

No, this one wasn't really to create an over the top response to my comment. This one was pretty true. I think, as well as others, that they were the crowd favorite.

But overwhelmingly? No chance.

Their standing ovation started over a minute before the corps even played their final note and grew in intensity until about 21 bass drum taps off the field. In total about 3+ minutes of non-stop ovation and cheer. To say nothing of other moments in the show itself that grabbed the audience just as hard, such as the long note at the end of the intro to the show which had a very similar (though not as long) ovation as ESOM.

I don't know what your definition is, but to me, that's pretty "overwhelming".

• Like 3

...I don't know what your definition is, but to me, that's pretty "overwhelming".

I'm jumping in with a lot of trepidation knowing what can happen to dissent in a thread like this ...

Still, I have to agree with the view that doubts that Madison was "overwhelmingly the crowd favorite." I know too many people who put Phantom and Crown as their favorite. That doesn't even account for the many who favored Cadets or even Blue Devils.

Yes, lots of folks loved Madison. But 2011 wasn't a desert island where only one decent disc played. Last year more than most had so many favorites. To say Madison was overwhelmingly the favorite doesn't jibe with an extraordinary year in which we loved so many so much.

HH

Edited by glory
  • Like 2

I'm jumping in with a lot of trepidation knowing what can happen to dissent in a thread like this ...

Still, I have to agree with the view that doubts that Madison was "overwhelmingly the crowd favorite." I know too many people who put Phantom and Crown as their favorite. That doesn't even account for the many who favored Cadets or even Blue Devils.

Yes, lots of folks loved Madison. But 2011 wasn't a desert island where only one decent disc played. Last year more than most had so many favorites. To say Madison was overwhelmingly the favorite doesn't jibe with an extraordinary year in which we loved so many so much.

HH

I can accept that as a fair statement. I think the main point would be that Madison's ovation topped the others this year. At least, from my listenings and viewings of the Blu Rays and the CDs, as well as my view from the stands at finals. I wouldn't say that there was "no comparison", but a tipping of the scale to say the last. Phantom and Cavies came the closest, but Madison's crowd reaction had a little more length and a little more "high end volume" wich gives evidence of "louder and more vocal cheers". I would also agree with Crown and Cadets not being too far off. Now, "Blue Devils"? Actually, I find myself disappointed in their ovation. I actually loved that show and thought that the somewhat classic BD sounds that existed in it would have indeed created a deservingly bigger crowd response. Yet, all I hear at the end of the recordings is a "golf clap". Which I don't agree with at all. I thought they deserved better than that.

Back to the original point. To me, the 3ish miniute length of the ovation is to me what ultimately makes me view it as "overwhelming". Nobody else quite got one that long and starting that far before the last note of the show. Cavie's ovation started when the conductor when upside down, which was less than a minute before the ending of the show. Not even sure if it was a full 30 seconds, though I may now need to double check that out of curiosity.

Edited by drumcorpsdrummerman2012
  • Like 1

Exactly this attitude that draw the ire of so many DCP posters.

IMO most posters on DCP are *drum corps* fans first and then *xyz corps* fans second. They talk about ALL the corps -- not just their favorites. They have both positive and negative things to say -- not just flowers and hearts and super hype.

And that's works pretty well for the most part -- except for Madison fans who feel they have exclusive rights to discuss "their corps", react out of all proportion to any comment that might be the least bit critical, etc... The Madison thread is for *all* of DCP to discuss Madison.

First DCI souvie I ever bought was from Madison. My daughter swore she was gonna be the first girl to march there. I have pix of her (1996 - 5 years old) and some random Scout sop (had to be 6'6" -- he was taller than me) we stopped in 96 at East for a pic. Nice kid -- stopped and talked for a bit. I've *always* liked how Madison played the game and put entertainment first.

But a small group of "FANS" on DCP decided I must secretly hate Madison and are pretty silly red button pushers on every post I make. Seems silly but those folks actually changed how I feel about the corps a bit.

But *I* am the one pissing in your cornflakes?

OOOk.

Unlike you, I don't "hate" any corps. Was never really a honk for any corps 'til my kid started marching. Have a little fun honking here but I'd disagree that Crown honks are the most vocal on DCP. Not by a long shot.

Anyway my post was directed to Jeff -- not you. He's pretty much the only hard core Madison poster who doesn't turn red with the first critical post. I respect him a lot for it.

Sorry you took it that way. Wasn't talking about anyone pissing in my corn flakes. I was referring to your inference that we're all just a bunch of blind homers who have no match. There's legit discussion and there's trolling. The two are not the same. Obviously you don't read many of my posts, because I tend to be pretty honest in my assessments, for good or bad. Beyond that, if you had read my post, you'd see that the majority of it was directed at GTC, not you. I only brought up Crown honks because you are one.

And yeah, the Crown honks have been pretty bad the last few years, but the difference is, I don't go at them about it. Who cares? Like I said above, my intense hatred for Bluecoats still doesn't spur me to go look for trouble on here. Anyone is free to come in this thread and discuss. I welcome it. I know there are a few who like to pick a fight with any negative thing posted here, but they are in the minority (if, unfortunately, the most vocal). Trolling, on the other hand, is going to be met with resistance, understandably.

I pretty much ignore 99% of it any more. Like I said, don't be a dick. No need for it. (also directed at GTC)

Edited by BigBadMadMan
  • Like 4

Sorry you took it that way. Wasn't talking about anyone pissing in my corn flakes. I was referring to your inference that we're all just a bunch of blind homers who have no match. There's legit discussion and there's trolling. The two are not the same. Obviously you don't read many of my posts, because I tend to be pretty honest in my assessments, for good or bad. Beyond that, if you had read my post, you'd see that the majority of it was directed at GTC, not you. I only brought up Crown honks because you are one.

And yeah, the Crown honks have been pretty bad the last few years, but the difference is, I don't go at them about it. Who cares? Like I said above, my intense hatred for Bluecoats still doesn't spur me to go look for trouble on here. Anyone is free to come in this thread and discuss. I welcome it. I know there are a few who like to pick a fight with any negative thing posted here, but they are in the minority (if, unfortunately, the most vocal). Trolling, on the other hand, is going to be met with resistance, understandably.

I pretty much ignore 99% of it any more. Like I said, don't be a dick. No need for it. (also directed at GTC)

This was certainly not the case in 2011. Anyway glad to see more open-minded-ness here. As for the Crown honks, we're harmless :-)

• Like 2

This was certainly not the case in 2011. Anyway glad to see more open-minded-ness here. As for the Crown honks, we're harmless :-)

until someone insults you

:tongue:

• Like 3