Drum Corps History and 75 year old movies

So last night I'm at home sick with a cold that's going around and Kris is out at her folks. Starting watching the 3 plus hour "The Great Zeigfeld" on TCM with the dog and kleenex box. Not a bad flick for the era with some good music (1936) and dance here and there (and lot of overblown musical bits also here and there).

Corps songs I recognized "Rhapsody In Blue" - actually a screw up as RiB was written after the year it was performed in the movie. "Il Paglicca"(sp) for a few seconds, yada, yada.

The kicker came a few minutes before the end of the move (ca 1929).. Ziegfeld (according to the movie) had four shows out at once. The marquees were shown as a few seconds of a song from each show was heard..... heard from "Showboat" "Ol Man River" (another corps song) and one from a show I never heard of called "The Three Musketeers"... Song heard had a familiar melody and words started with "We Are The Musketeers..". Few seconds later I wondered if Jimbalaya was watching and hearing his old corps theme song. Sure woke me out.... :blink:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

So last night I'm at home sick with a cold that's going around and Kris is out at her folks. Starting watching the 3 plus hour "The Great Zeigfeld" on TCM with the dog and kleenex box. Not a bad flick for the era with some good music (1936) and dance here and there (and lot of overblown musical bits also here and there).

Corps songs I recognized "Rhapsody In Blue" - actually a screw up as RiB was written after the year it was performed in the movie. "Il Paglicca"(sp) for a few seconds, yada, yada.

The kicker came a few minutes before the end of the move (ca 1929).. Ziegfeld (according to the movie) had four shows out at once. The marquees were shown as a few seconds of a song from each show was heard..... heard from "Showboat" "Ol Man River" (another corps song) and one from a show I never heard of called "The Three Musketeers"... Song heard had a familiar melody and words started with "We Are The Musketeers..". Few seconds later I wondered if Jimbalaya was watching and hearing his old corps theme song. Sure woke me out.... :blink:

Hey Jim, I remember that Three Musketeers movie. There were three musketeers - Porthos, Athos, and Aramis (he later went into men's toiletries). A fourth guy - Haring - wanted to join them, but he was opposed by the forces of evil - Comte de Peashey, Lord Lisko, and Baron TennTux. The whole movie revolves around him trying to save the heroine - Nanci, La Comtesse de Whoville - from the clutches of just about EVERYONE. At the very end, after many swordfights and a lot of swinging from chandeliers, Haring is finally allowed to become the fourth musketeer, at which point he dramatically throws his Hawaiian shirt into the moat and dons the garb of a musketeer (black pants and a red overblouse). The closing scene shows him walking off into the sunset humming "Lord and Master."

Hey Jim, I remember that Three Musketeers movie. There were three musketeers - Porthos, Athos, and Aramis (he later went into men's toiletries). A fourth guy - Haring - wanted to join them, but he was opposed by the forces of evil - Comte de Peashey, Lord Lisko, and Baron TennTux. The whole movie revolves around him trying to save the heroine - Nanci, La Comtesse de Whoville - from the clutches of just about EVERYONE. At the very end, after many swordfights and a lot of swinging from chandeliers, Haring is finally allowed to become the fourth musketeer, at which point he dramatically throws his Hawaiian shirt into the moat and dons the garb of a musketeer (black pants and a red overblouse). The closing scene shows him walking off into the sunset humming "Lord and Master."

I forget... does everyone run in horror from the Hawaiian shirt.. get blinded... or thorw up?

Happy New Year Mr Roo...

I forget... does everyone run in horror from the Hawaiian shirt.. get blinded... or thorw up?

Happy New Year Mr Roo...

As I remember the movie, as the Hawaiian shirt falls into the moat, all the alligators in the moat leap out of the water in fear.

And a very Happy New Year to you, Jim.

"Oldies but Goodies":

The VERY old B & W epic "Seahawk" spawned a terriffic drum corps classic. Both St Kevins Enerald Knight and the Garfield Cadets used it.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

"Oldies but Goodies":

The VERY old B & W epic "Seahawk" spawned a terriffic drum corps classic. Both St Kevins Enerald Knight and the Garfield Cadets used it.

Elphaba

ewwwwww! Look below, how could you forget that Bucs played that also in 80....very disappointed.

• Like 1

ewwwwww! Look below, how could you forget that Bucs played that also in 80....very disappointed.

Yeah but they "only" repeated as DCA champs that year.... :devil:

• 1 month later...

Korngold wrote some fantstic film music, didn't he? I remember Seahawk, nice arrangement- and very, very well played.

I was always suprised Bucs never did the music from "Captain Blood", another Korngopld masterpiece.

lol

clever Roo.... clever

but you could get into trouble for giving the QUEEN a reduction in rank to Countesse

Follow up with a newer (1953 - heh) reference.

Finally watched something I DVR'ed (man I love that thing) a month or so back. AMC showed an episode of "Your Show Of Shows" with Sid Ceasar, Carl Reiner, Howard Morris, et al. Reason was "My Favorite Year" that dealt with a 50s comedy show like YSoS was to be shown. So AMC showed a skit from the series.

Skit was a take off of "This Is Your Life" called (I think) "This Is Your Story" and is in the top 10 YSoS skits (including in case it's on YouTube or somewhere). Gag at the end was the host (Reiner) brought out a "childhood memory" for the guest (Ceasar). Memory was the "Northern New Jersey Drum & Bugle Corps" which was a handful of guys in scout uniforms, straight bugles and drums coming out and marching around the stage.

Howard Morris as "Uncle Lumpy" :tongue:

Edited by JimF-LowBari