Pioneer 2012

Pioneer is still seeking members to fill out the 2012 corps! Our 2012 production "Irish Immigrants: The Hands that Built America" is starting to shape up nicely, with the horn line already having learned the opener from Dvorak's New World Symphony. The drum line has been busy learning technique and working on the street beat. The guard has been strong at the first couple camps, but is not required to be back at camp until March due to many of them participating in WGI. Overall, attendance at our November & December camps has been better than previous years, but we can definitely use more members! If you're still considering marching in 2012 or are looking for a corps you can call home, I would encourage you checking us out!

Next Pioneer Camp:

January 13th - 15th

Cudahy Middle School

Free Camp Transportation Information

Pioneer provides free transportation to camp from Chicago's O'Hare Airport (Friday-6PM-Terminal 1-Lower Level "Baggage" - Carousel #1) and Milwaukee's Mitchell Airport (Friday-7:15 PM- Lower Level (Baggage-South end of building "Delta Airlines").

After camp is over on Sunday at 4PM, you will be taken to the same airports (Milwaukee before 5PM) and (O'Hare before 6:30 PM).

Please schedule your flights to arrive at the airports early enough on Friday so that our buses can leave promptly to get you to camp on time! When scheduling flights back home, please schedule your flight late enough in the day on Sunday so you do not have to leave camp early (and so we don't have to make a special trip to the airport).

If you wish to take a train or bus to Milwaukee, let us know in advance and we will make arrangements to pick you up!

Click Here For More January Camp Information and to Register for Camp

Citgo Fueling Good Program

Pioneer will be participating in the next round of the Citgo Fueling Good Program with a chance to earn up to $5,000 in gas for this upcoming season. In 2011, the Fueling Good program gave 24 charities, including the Racine Scouts, $120,000 in gas prizes. Voting for the latest round begins on January 12th!

More Information on Citgo Fueling Good Program

Pioneer is still seeking members to fill out the 2012 corps! Our 2012 production "Irish Immigrants: The Hands that Built America" is starting to shape up nicely, with the horn line already having learned the opener from Dvorak's New World Symphony. The drum line has been busy learning technique and working on the street beat. The guard has been strong at the first couple camps, but is not required to be back at camp until March due to many of them participating in WGI. Overall, attendance at our November & December camps has been better than previous years, but we can definitely use more members! If you're still considering marching in 2012 or are looking for a corps you can call home, I would encourage you checking us out!

Next Pioneer Camp:

January 13th - 15th

Cudahy Middle School

Free Camp Transportation Information

Pioneer provides free transportation to camp from Chicago's O'Hare Airport (Friday-6PM-Terminal 1-Lower Level "Baggage" - Carousel #1) and Milwaukee's Mitchell Airport (Friday-7:15 PM- Lower Level (Baggage-South end of building "Delta Airlines").

After camp is over on Sunday at 4PM, you will be taken to the same airports (Milwaukee before 5PM) and (O'Hare before 6:30 PM).

Please schedule your flights to arrive at the airports early enough on Friday so that our buses can leave promptly to get you to camp on time! When scheduling flights back home, please schedule your flight late enough in the day on Sunday so you do not have to leave camp early (and so we don't have to make a special trip to the airport).

If you wish to take a train or bus to Milwaukee, let us know in advance and we will make arrangements to pick you up!

Click Here For More January Camp Information and to Register for Camp

Citgo Fueling Good Program

Pioneer will be participating in the next round of the Citgo Fueling Good Program with a chance to earn up to $5,000 in gas for this upcoming season. In 2011, the Fueling Good program gave 24 charities, including the Racine Scouts, $120,000 in gas prizes. Voting for the latest round begins on January 12th!

More Information on Citgo Fueling Good Program

any staff changes worth noting?

any staff changes worth noting?

The staff for 2012 does look considerably different than previous years:

Brass Staff

Arranger - Ken Norman

Caption Head - Lansing R. Dimon

Low Brass Consultant - Dr. Jason S. Ladd

Brass Consultant - Dr. Cecil Austin

Brass Technicians - Christopher Reid

Percussion Staff

Caption Head - Tyrell Carver

Technician - Lukas Snyder

Guard Staff

Caption Head - Seth Pearson

Visual Staff

Visual Designer - Rick Morey

Visual Caption Head - Sean McDermott

Obviously, there are still some spots that need to be filled as spring approaches, but that's the core of our staff for the 2012 season.

Brass Staff

Arranger - Ken Norman

Percussion Staff

Guard Staff

Visual Staff

Obviously, there are still some spots that need to be filled as spring approaches, but that's the core of our staff for the 2012 season.

I would agree wholeheartedly with your assessment. Many changes from last year. When was the last time Ken Norman wrote for you guys? Does he still write the Kilties brass book?

Brass Staff

Arranger - Ken Norman

Percussion Staff

Guard Staff

Visual Staff

Looking forward to seeing them again next summer. I'm a bit concerned though: Can you field a hornline without Howdy's "expertise"? :tongue:

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 4

I would agree wholeheartedly with your assessment. Many changes from last year. When was the last time Ken Norman wrote for you guys? Does he still write the Kilties brass book?

It's been 20+ years since Ken Norman last wrote anything from us. We were still playing a couple of his standstill charts when I came to the corps in 1992, but those were a couple years old at the time. Not sure on the Kilties at the moment, but I believe he has been putting together charts for several groups on the DCA level and also SDCA.

On the whole, the staff is looking to be pretty solid for the upcoming season. We've also got a handful of alumni that are helping tech/instruct at the camps that aren't reflected in the list above. As I've stated in previous threads, there's more interest in the corps right now than there has been in probably 15 years. We have to capitalize on that interest and make the best of it for this upcoming season.

Our biggest challenge at the moment is recruiting members. There's been a lot of interest in the corps during the fall and early winter, but we would like to convert more of those "prospective" members in actual marching members. We've got an awesome tour schedule laid out for this upcoming summer and would love to have 100+ members on the field to experience it. I would encourage anyone in the Midwest who has considered marching in 2012 to at least give us a chance. Fill out our online application for more info, give our office a call, drop by our Facebook page or hit us up on Twitter @PioneerDBC. Either way, we want to hear from you and we want you to hear from us!

Looking forward to seeing them again next summer. I'm a bit concerned though: Can you field a hornline without Howdy's "expertise"? :tongue:

Our horn line will be fine with the staff we have listed. Michael, despite all of the negative attention that he receives, did provide usefull instruction to some of our members during his time on tour and we appreciate the time that he spent on tour with us.

• Like 2

Tyrell is a great caption head. Took a bunch of 14 years olds and made us into a top 8- Open Class line in DCA

• Like 3

I'm really looking forward to the show this year. I hope you can get a membership over 100 again. I remember back in the 90's how nice it was to see DII corps marching 110-128 members. I think you guys were pretty close to 128 in 96.

It would also really be nice to see some more young member sticking with Pioneer for more than a season or 2. The quality of shows is very nice at Pioneer, and if they had a higher retention rate, they could easily be a top 17 corps again. But I will say I usually really enjoy Pioneer's shows, and think more people would if they got there early enough to see them. I remember the crowds being very pleasantly surprised in 2010 when they made their opening statement.

Good luck for a safe and enjoyable season. Hopefully we will be able to see come clips before the start of the season in June.

I'm really looking forward to the show this year. I hope you can get a membership over 100 again. I remember back in the 90's how nice it was to see DII corps marching 110-128 members. I think you guys were pretty close to 128 in 96.

It would also really be nice to see some more young member sticking with Pioneer for more than a season or 2. The quality of shows is very nice at Pioneer, and if they had a higher retention rate, they could easily be a top 17 corps again. But I will say I usually really enjoy Pioneer's shows, and think more people would if they got there early enough to see them. I remember the crowds being very pleasantly surprised in 2010 when they made their opening statement.

Good luck for a safe and enjoyable season. Hopefully we will be able to see come clips before the start of the season in June.

Truth.

:thumbup: