Pioneer 2012

Hi Folks...

Just a quick recap of the St. Patricks Day weekend camp. Very successful weekend for the group - many new faces, especially in the low brass!

We still have spots left in the hornline, especially Trumpet and Mellophone to meet our goal of 44. We would actually like to shoot for 50.

We also have a few spots open still in the FRONT ENSEMBLE and GUARD. If you know of anyone, please send them our way!

One thing we have noticed with this economy... several potential members who were very interested... are finding difficulty coming up with funds, even for us as one of the more inexpensive groups to tour with. If anyone has ideas of how to help, or know of people who can sponsor members, please let me know. How exciting would it be to have some of these kids who cannot meet the entire tour fee have a chance at the DCI experience! If you have ideas too, let me know... we have the SOPY sponsor program, and many kids utilize this but it's always nice to find fresh ideas of who to ask for sponsorships or programs that might be around to help them fill in the $ gap.

This past weekend, the corps performed at the St. Patricks Day Parade in New London, WI and did a great job for a first time performance this year! The hornline also read through "Shipping Up To Boston", and the arrangement is pretty solid... in fact we might be finding ways to extend it!

There's a few other exciting ideas in development, but it's too early to announce them yet. Keep checking the website for more info!

www.pioneer-corps.org

Thanks for reading.

Lansing

Brass Caption Head

• Like 1

The hornline also read through "Shipping Up To Boston", and the arrangement is pretty solid... in fact we might be finding ways to extend it!

So hyped we're going to get to hear Dropkick Murphys on the field... Get it Pio!!!

• Like 2

Hi Folks...

Just a quick recap of the St. Patricks Day weekend camp. Very successful weekend for the group - many new faces, especially in the low brass!

We still have spots left in the hornline, especially Trumpet and Mellophone to meet our goal of 44. We would actually like to shoot for 50.

We also have a few spots open still in the FRONT ENSEMBLE and GUARD. If you know of anyone, please send them our way!

One thing we have noticed with this economy... several potential members who were very interested... are finding difficulty coming up with funds, even for us as one of the more inexpensive groups to tour with. If anyone has ideas of how to help, or know of people who can sponsor members, please let me know. How exciting would it be to have some of these kids who cannot meet the entire tour fee have a chance at the DCI experience! If you have ideas too, let me know... we have the SOPY sponsor program, and many kids utilize this but it's always nice to find fresh ideas of who to ask for sponsorships or programs that might be around to help them fill in the $ gap.

This past weekend, the corps performed at the St. Patricks Day Parade in New London, WI and did a great job for a first time performance this year! The hornline also read through "Shipping Up To Boston", and the arrangement is pretty solid... in fact we might be finding ways to extend it!

There's a few other exciting ideas in development, but it's too early to announce them yet. Keep checking the website for more info!

www.pioneer-corps.org

Thanks for reading.

Lansing

Brass Caption Head

Then the 14 member horn line that showed up for the St. Pat's Day Parade was just a fluke? I wasn't there in person but a good friend of mine was. She gave me this bit of news. Just asking.

• Like 2

So, how about adding some Pogues into the show? Can't get much more Irish than The Pogues. Would love to hear "If I should Fall From Grace of God" on the field, or use "Fairytale of New York" as a ballad.

Either way, can't wait to see what Pio does this year. Would like to see them back up in the competitive ranks, and this kind of show is right up Pioneer's alley, just like the late 1990s shows. :thumbup:

Edited by fsubone

So, how about adding some Pogues into the show? Can't get much more Irish than The Pogues. Would love to hear "If I should Fall From Grace of God" on the field, or use "Fairytale of New York" as a ballad.

Either way, can't wait to see what Pio does this year. Would like to see them back up in the competitive ranks, and this kind of show is right up Pioneer's alley, just like the late 1990s shows. :thumbup:

Dirty Old Town would be an amazing ballad.

Technically, the Pogues were English; but they sure played some mean post-punk celtic! Fairytale of New York would make a great ballad as well. :thumbup:

True, but they are really credited with making Celtic Punk, and they were banned from the BBC, which seems pretty Irish to me. :thumbup:

The staff for 2012 does look considerably different than previous years:

Brass Staff

Arranger - Ken Norman

Caption Head - Lansing R. Dimon

Low Brass Consultant - Dr. Jason S. Ladd

Brass Consultant - Dr. Cecil Austin

Brass Technicians - Christopher Reid

Percussion Staff

Caption Head - Tyrell Carver

Technician - Lukas Snyder

Guard Staff

Caption Head - Seth Pearson

Visual Staff

Visual Designer - Rick Morey

Visual Caption Head - Sean McDermott

Obviously, there are still some spots that need to be filled as spring approaches, but that's the core of our staff for the 2012 season.

I congratulate you on your excellent choice for designer staff...Ken Norman, Tyrell Carver, and Rick Morey...Competent, resourceful, and most of all soooo talented! Wish I was there...great people to work with!

Then the 14 member horn line that showed up for the St. Pat's Day Parade was just a fluke? I wasn't there in person but a good friend of mine was. She gave me this bit of news. Just asking.

We had 21 horns for the St. Pat's Day parade. With all due respect to your friend, the pictures are up on the website. Count them yourself. 5 trumpets, 2 mellos, 8 baritones and 6 tubas. www.pioneer-corps.org

We still have 6 coming from across the pond (heck of a commute, don't you think?) and several who had school commitments or a medical issue, and could not be there that weekend. Unlike other corps, we allow you to meet your school responsibilities and don't consider doing so a lack of dedication.

That was along with 10 snares, 3 tenors, 4 bass drums, and 5 cymbals. 6 guard; most of our guard are in winterguards and will be in attendance at the April camp.

If you know of others that would like to join, you know where to find us.

Lansing

• Like 1