Did this really happen?

There are people here who are ACTUALLY sympathetic to the drummer?! :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Clearly not as many as the self righteous people on this board who can't wait to throw stones...

• Like 5

The irony that I'm surprised has been missed here so far, is that apparently the Blue Devils marched a performer on Finals Night in 2000 that was not a member of their Corps. Their 3rd place finish was never challenged. The message means that any Corps can march anyone they want on Finals Night, provided they are not overage. We did learn that he was not a member of the Blue Devils the day of Finals, no ? And yet the Corps marched a non member ( albeit unknowingly by staff according to reports ) on Finals Night, but the Corps was not disqualified afterwards, and their 3rd place placement stood nonetheless. Amazing when you think about the consequence of this. This opens the door in the future for any Corps to bring in "ringers " for Finals Night alone to perform if they so choose and it could not be legally challenged as such Corps could point to the BD incident in 2000 where the BD Corps successfully marched a performer that according to the BD staff was officially and legally not a member of the BD Corps for the Championship night performance back then either.

Wow. Deep end...........................................you.

• Like 3

Most of you seem to be ignoring how this event also re-enforces some of what's amazing about Drum Corps... loyalty, camaraderie, passion etc.

• Like 3

Wow. Deep end...........................................you.

Lighten up Francis. You take it too seriously.

• Like 2

Are there any members who actually marched with BD that night on here?

It seems that so far all of the recollections are from people who were there, or heard about it, or had a friend of a friend. You can't see anything on the DVD - the only thing I did notice is that there are 5 bass drums during the show - and 4 bass drums stacked up at retreat. So it would seem that it really did happen.

It would be interesting to hear from a member what went on right after the show.

Later,

Mike

• Like 1

Lighten up Francis. You take it too seriously.

Lol, I just thought your statement about what it could potentially lead to was a bit of a stretch. :-)

• Like 1

The irony that I'm surprised has been missed here so far, is that apparently the Blue Devils marched a performer on Finals Night in 2000 that was not a member of their Corps. Their 3rd place finish was never challenged. The message means that any Corps can march anyone they want on Finals Night, provided they are not overage. We did learn that he was not a member of the Blue Devils the day of Finals, no ? And yet the Corps marched a non member ( albeit unknowingly by staff according to reports ) on Finals Night, but the Corps was not disqualified afterwards, and their 3rd place placement stood nonetheless. Amazing when you think about the consequence of this. This opens the door in the future for any Corps to bring in "ringers " for Finals Night alone to perform if they so choose and it could not be legally challenged as such Corps could point to the BD incident in 2000 where the BD Corps successfully marched a performer that according to the BD staff was officially and legally not a member of the BD Corps for the Championship night performance back then either.

I agree that this is a stretch... In fact unless you have prior knowledge that a new roster for the corps had been submitted to DCI without the bass drummer on it, there could possibly be no official status on the bass drummer being kicked out of the corps as far as DCI was aware. I also believe that DCI is not in the business of enforcing individual corps policies within the ranks of said corps. Please do let me know if you have knowledge otherwise... Also the only ringer one would be able to bring in would be the ringer that WAS ALREADY A MEMBER OF THE CORPS IF THIS IS THE EXAMPLE WE ARE TO USE OF THE SLIPPERY SLOPE WE ARE STANDING NEAR! UNLESS THERE WAS A BASS DRUM SOLO I AM UNAWARE OF THAT NEEDED A RINGER TO REALLY LET IT SCREAM!!!!!

Edited by Big Bad Bari
  • Like 1

You can't see anything on the DVD --the only thing I did notice is that there are 5 bass drums during the show-- and 4 bass drums stacked up at retreat.

That was good thinking to look at the retreat.

Tipping at windmills.....but that's what we do here in the off season. satisfied.gif