Is there a time when a penalty is worth it?

Just recently watched the Jersey Surf show again when they took the penalty at the end of the show for stepping onto the track. This was such a great drum corps moment, and one of my favorites from over the years. I really think it was worth the .5(if I remember right) penalty that they got for this. I also seem to remember Madison Scouts may have gotten a penalty for drum major kicking over a cone.

Are there ever times where you think a penalty is worth it? I know sometimes in sports a coach will get a technical called just to spark up the team and the crowd. I think Jersey Surf pulling the "Take the Penalty" wheel was one of the more exciting moments of that year. It is too bad they were Open Class still, and more people didn't get to see that part of their show.

Are there other penalties that corps may take that actually enhance the show, even though they may lower their score or placement? I personally like it when Corps do things to really work up the crowds. Are there any other instances you can think of when a corps actually took a deliberate penalty, rather than change something about their show, or to enhance their show? I do remember one instance where a marching band used pyrotechnics during the final 30 seconds of their show. I am thinking maybe one drum corps did that back in the 80s too, but I could be mistaken.

It was a cute moment and I agree it was entertaining from the stands.

But if they were "in the hunt" and really competing, I dont believe it would have ever been added.

They were second to last place in prelims almost 2 and half points above last place. They knew it was not likely going cost anything as far as upward or downward movement. Yes, "anything can happen", but someone making up two full points from prelims to finals is rare. especially on the lower end of Div 2.

So again, it was cute, but not quite the heroic moment it was made to be. I had 7 of my high school students who were in that show and based on what they told me back then, this move wasnt necessarily embraced by all. Many felt that it was an act of "giving up". The types of kids who march drum corps have a very competitive spirit. Even in the corps not necessarily contending. I know I wouldnt embrace giving away points regardless of the circumstances.

I do see what they were going for. They were not competitive so "play to the crowd". Thats commendable, but again I am just pointing out the context.

Thought Cadets should have taken the 1 pt penalty for "Amen" back at 1978 Finals (they held up a sign instead). Saw and heard it at an exhibition and... well they should have done it...

Oh yeah I remember that. I guess they figured they would take a serious hit so they decided to play it safe.

I think the Surf thing was meant to be fun and exciting. The corps is in finals, they aren't contending for a championship, why not let it all hang out? A two point margin over the next closest corps makes it comfortable fur sure. I think Surf might have let it all hang out, not just on the last bars of the show, but the whole show. Taking the phrase "Stepping it up a notch", up one more notch. By the way (I wasn't there), didn't Surf have a wheel that said "take the penalty OR finish show", and they when they spun it they had to move it manually to "take the penalty"? Must have been a fun moment regardless.

In '83 (or was it '84?), Crusaders were taking a penalty for playing "Axle F" on a keyboard/synth. Can't remember when they stopped using it, but I know it was before finals week.

BAC (Boston at the time) in 1984 did use a synthesizer to play "Axel F". We did it knowing a penalty was forthcoming (1.5). It wasn't going to make an impact on placement but we did it to be the first to use electronics and to entertain ourselves as well as the audience. It was played at DCI prelims in Madison. That is for sure. It was fun and a forward look at Drum Corps..little did we know it at the time.

All I can remember when I marched was a drummers worst nightmare....dropping a stick. That was an automatic 10th. If you picked it up it was a full point PLUS the 10th, so you had to simulate and march around like an idiot until (hopefully) a kind-hearted judge gave it back to you. Oh man. I'm going to have some bad dreams tonight.

I remember reading somewhere on here (forgot which thread) that sometimes certain drummers would purposely drop their sticks in front of the judge during a particularly difficult lick that they didn't have nailed yet as to rather have a 0.1 penalty for dropping their sticks instead of a few execution ticks. Guess that may be a time where a penalty is worth it in the end.

BAC (Boston at the time) in 1984 did use a synthesizer to play "Axel F". We did it knowing a penalty was forthcoming (1.5). It wasn't going to make an impact on placement but we did it to be the first to use electronics and to entertain ourselves as well as the audience. It was played at DCI prelims in Madison. That is for sure. It was fun and a forward look at Drum Corps..little did we know it at the time.

It was 1985. I remember watching from the side after we finished. "Do they really have a KEYBOARD?"

We did something similar in 86. We played rock that year, so our drum guy, Pat Petrillo, got Simmons to give us a pair of pads and Korg gave us a sound board and we miked the marimba. We took the voluntary 2-point penalty in DCM shows until DCI informed us that we risked disqualification at every show. It got us a little bit of publicity, which I suspect was the point.

• Like 1

It was 77 when garfield sang amen not 78 believe me i know they squeezed us out of finals. ugh.

It was 77 when garfield sang amen not 78 believe me i know they squeezed us out of finals. ugh.

LOL, checked corps reps and Cadets played "I Don't Know How to Love Him" as a closer 76-78. But 1977 was the only one of the three years when they made Finals (76-14th, 77-12th, 78-14th). I pulled 78 from a picture caption in the Cadets write up in History of Drum Corps II.

Then I probably saw the show live in 76 but still can't remember how I saw an end of show exhibition at a DCA show. We were standing in a walkway at to the top of the stands and houls have been getting ready for retreat. :blink:

Are there any other instances you can think of when a corps actually took a deliberate penalty, rather than change something about their show, or to enhance their show?

Madison Scouts 1997: drum major held a final chord long, took a pic of the corps, took a pic of the crowd, threw a pirate flag into the stands, turned around & finished the show. Crowd went ape s$$t. I think it definitely enhanced the moment

I read an article that said the Boston Crusaders took penalties for marching bells, as they were not yet legal. I do remember the year they became legal was '74 and Rick Odello was the one playing Xylophone for BD in his age out year.

If you listen to various recordings of the Boston Crusaders in 1969, you'll hear Tim VanCamp playing the marching bells at the Shriners International, but not the National Dream or VFW Nationals.

Ed Denon's explanation at the time was that - unless there was a potential national title on the line - the added "General Effect" upon the music was strong enough to warrant a penalty for playing un-sanctioned bells.

Part of Boston's "We don't GAVA" mind-set, I suppose.

• Like 2