Should my 14 year-old march

I have been a devoted fan of the activity for 25 years and honestly my wife has never gotten into it. I took my son to a show last year and loved it. He went to an open house and essentially has a spot for a lower tier world class corps. My wife is VERY nervous about him spending all of this time away being the youngest kid in the corps at 14. What do you guys have to offer? Is she right to be very nervous and am I letting the fan in me get the best or not?

I didn't know that I should say what corps it is or not.

I started when I was 11 and it was the best thing that I ever did. I became much more confidant, independent and outgoing and since drum corps was contingent on getting good grades - I made sure that I studied hard too.

Even today - I can see how drum corps changed my life and and that I wouldn't be where I am today or have the career that I have without it.

So that would be a BIG "YES" from me.

Later,

Mike

• Like 5

The best thing you can do is talk to the corps director and your son's prospective caption head. Also, you would be well-served by doing some independent research on the corps. Just be careful to not take rumor as fact. If your son is fully bought in on the hard work it is going to take, he will have a great summer (which will hopefully lead to a long, rewarding drum corps career). Just be sure he knows what he is getting into.

• Like 2

I have made it perfectly clear the work, although I never marched. I have never seen him work so much on his horn as when he decided to switch from trombone to baritone 10 days before the open house. I am pretty familiar with the corps and I am aware of no issues past or present with them. I will be helping at the next camp, in part to get a feel for that corps and to talk to people in the corps.

Thanks for your reply.

• Like 1

I have been a devoted fan of the activity for 25 years and honestly my wife has never gotten into it. I took my son to a show last year and loved it. He went to an open house and essentially has a spot for a lower tier world class corps. My wife is VERY nervous about him spending all of this time away being the youngest kid in the corps at 14. What do you guys have to offer? Is she right to be very nervous and am I letting the fan in me get the best or not?

Depends on how mature he is. If he is in a lower tier world class corps the average age will probably be relatively low, but he'll still be hanging out with people who are up to 8 years older than him, and will be expected to work just as hard as any of them. Some kids can handle that, some aren't ready.

Most World Class corps I know do not offer a spot to a 14 year old. There's just too much social difference between a 14 year old and an 18-22 year old. There's a good chance he could feel isolated socially. As much as a drum corps can be a family, there's a reason why the young adults don't appreciate sitting at the kids' table at holidays. I think you see what I am getting at. Also, in my experience, he'd be in for a tough summer marching wise. There is just no way a 14 year old can march like an 18 year old. Play...yes...I've heard 14 year old phenoms on almost every instrument. The separation is when you add that extra step of moving and playing. Then there's all the memorization, the show changes...so much to keep in the head of a hormonal 14 year old young person. It's a very tough age to grasp so many adult concepts continually.

My kids were fortunate enough to march with a Div. II/III (now Open Class) corps with members more their age and on a far less competitive level with a much shorter season. It was the only way my wife and I would let them march. When my youngest was 14, he auditioned for the Phantom Regiment. It was nearby. We wanted him to get the experience. Albert Lo was his auditioner. Our son played very well as he had prepared for the audition since August. One of Mr. Lo's first questions was to ask his age. Our son answered 14. Mr. Lo asked him if it was his father outside and he invited me in for our son's critique. There was so much education given in the next 10 minutes...as a brass player myself, I was really impressed with the depth of his suggestions. Then he said to our son, "If you were 2-3 years older, we would take you. Please come back." The long and short of it was, our son did not go back there but marched nearby in Madison as a 17 and 19 year old.

I'm glad he went back and marched a smaller corps with members closer to his age as a 14 year old. His time with a World Class corps could wait.

Edited by Tom Brace
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Most World Class corps I know do not offer a spot to a 14 year old. There's just too much social difference between a 14 year old and an 18-22 year old. There's a good chance he could feel isolated socially.

That DOES kinda depend on the corps culture, tho. In 84 we had quite a few 14 year olds...one marched next to me, in fact. I don't recall John having any issues...

Al's comments to your son, however, DO carry some weight, especially considering the age involved.

In the end, it's got to be a judgment call by the OP. The fact that he'll be there helping out is a good thing.

absolutely

Sit down with the corps director and talk about it! Talk to other parents at a camp.

Anyway short answer is: YES! Go for it.

Edited by corpsband
  • Haha 1

As Tom said in the post above, there can be some awkward dynamics when mixing 18-22 year olds with 14 year olds. That said, it can be done... and done successfully depending on the circumstances. I started marching with Pioneer when I was 13, so I completely understand the awkward part of things. Luckily, there were some awesome vets that took me under their wing and helped me adjust to the corps activity my first year. Given the family atmosphere found within most corps, I think it's natural for older members to take on that role as somewhat of a mentor/leader. At the same time, it may not always be possible with every corps to have that nurturing/fostering relationship at the same level. Going to camp and feeling things out for yourself is probably the best way to go. If it seems like he's going to be outcast/isolated due to his age, there may be other corps that are a better fit for him the next season or two. Otherwise, if everything seems good, I would let him say "have at it!".