Should my 14 year-old march

As Tom said in the post above, there can be some awkward dynamics when mixing 18-22 year olds with 14 year olds. That said, it can be done... and done successfully depending on the circumstances. I started marching with Pioneer when I was 13, so I completely understand the awkward part of things. Luckily, there were some awesome vets that took me under their wing and helped me adjust to the corps activity my first year. Given the family atmosphere found within most corps, I think it's natural for older members to take on that role as somewhat of a mentor/leader. At the same time, it may not always be possible with every corps to have that nurturing/fostering relationship at the same level. Going to camp and feeling things out for yourself is probably the best way to go. If it seems like he's going to be outcast/isolated due to his age, there may be other corps that are a better fit for him the next season or two. Otherwise, if everything seems good, I would let him say "have at it!".

Overall it depends on the corps as to whether someone so young should march. Will he be the only one in the age group, or does the corps cater to younger members? I know many of the DCI level corps of the 70’s and early 80’s had younger members. Judging from Legacy DVD’s, corps such as Guardsmen, 27th, and Garfield had younger remembers and, many corps had cymbals players who looked as young as twelve. Based on my experience as a teacher, fourteen year olds today tend to be smarter than a few years back, due largely to technology, but they can be far less mature and sophisticated. Younger kids today do not have as many responsibilities and maturity comes later. This is not as much cold hard fact as observation.

Only you and your wife know your son. Is he as mature as he is talented? That should be consideration one. Second, has he been way from home without friends and family members at summer camp, Boy Scout events, church or school activities? How did he manage? This would be critical during tours. Finally, what about supervision? Chances are all instructors and chaperons have had criminal background checks, so they are safe as far as criminal behavior is concerned, but do they know and understand the emotional needs of younger teens? Are they willing set boundaries and expect that it is only natural they may need to be reinforced to a fourteen year old? Are you welcome at any moment to make sure he is safe? If sleeping arrangements are involved, do younger teens share space with older members? Are there separate sleeping quarters for boys and girls? Some of these questions would not have been thought of back in the day, but they are real concerns for 2012.

Also, gut can be an important factor. If you need to ask, and your wife is uncertain, it may be best to wait.

A few years ago, I made arrangements for the mother of a 14-year-old boy to meet staff and management of Pioneer at a show. (I knew them both from community band.) The boy joined the corps the next year as a 14-year-old and did very well. He's now with another corps, but he's stayed with drum corps and will age out in corps. It's been an incredible experience for him and he's learned to balance his life with drum corps.

If your child is mature, eager to learn and one who will thrive on challenge, they will do well. If they feel they are ready for drum corps, they may be more mature than a couple guys I marched with who were 20 or 21. Take the spouse to a corps weekend and let the whole family meet and talk with management and staff. I've known of spouses who were initially not very excited about the prospect of sending their child away for the summer who, once seeing what drum corps did for other kids (from talking with parents who were there), became the biggest proponents of marching I've seen.

There's no one more committed to an idea than someone who is a convert to the cause. In my years with the activity, I've seen many. They are the best advertising we've got.

One word:

Pioneer.

As a perennial volunteer with a mid-lower tier corps, I think your idea of going to a camp and talking to folks is the best thing you can do to get a sense of the "corps culture." In my experience, staff, members and volunteers alike (many of whom will be parents like you) are eager to talk about their own experiences, and the experiences of their members with the corps.

I started at 10...different era (my 6 year old brother marched cymbals too).

As a father of a 14 year old and a teacher of mostly freshmen, I say YES! If he is mature enough!

What corps is it because it really depends in the group. Some are more younger friendly than others.

Thank you all for all of your advice. The only reason I am questioning it is because my wife is. He is a very determined young man and knows when it is time to be serious and work hard. I too work in a high school and see him as a one that is mature enough to buckle down and accomplish team goals. Really it seems as if the best course of action is to get my wife there to talk to people one on one. The corps is Jersey Surf so they definitely cater more to younger folks than top tier corps.

Edited by cage
  • Like 1

Thank you all for all of your advice. The only reason I am questioning it is because my wife is. He is a very determined young man and knows when it is time to be serious and work hard. I too work in a high school and see him as a one that is mature enough to buckle down and accomplish team goals. Really it seems as if the best course of action is to get my wife there to talk to people one on one. The corps is Jersey Surf so they definitely cater more to younger folks than top tier corps.

Surf may be a good choice..As a person who grew up in Drum Corps and was maybe the youngest to this day in a certain WC corps or whatever it was called back then,corps, age can mean alot. What I mean is that personally I spent alot of time alone due to my age. I also worked very hard and younger than your son BUT when you are lets say 14 not many 17 or 18 year olds have alot in common with you. This can lead to lonley times off the field. A 14 year old can certainly be more mature than a 17 year old BUT tell then to a 17 year old. Kids can be mean at times.

Edited by GUARDLING