Should my 14 year-old march

I can’t speak for all corps, but I know volunteers with three corps: two world and one open that are required to sign waivers for criminal background checks as a matter of policy. All corps should and any parent entrusting minor to a corps for a summer should demand it. One corps began doing the background checks not due to drug or sexual offenses of volunteers and instructors but when it was discovered a money handler who pocketed a considerable amount of funds from the souvenir booth faced prior criminal charges for embezzlement. If what you say is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, let’s hope that corps do not learn tragic lessons the hard way. There’s also a touch of cynic in me, and any corps that is not thorough in this regard could lose donors. Most corps fundraising that I know of highlights the traits of hard work, dedication, and extraordinary skills to describe members. Would people be as willing to donate if someone said “and these great kids will be trained and supervised by known felons?” Probably not.

corps and winter programs doent even do cecks on staff...some states schools do but I can tell you of several fellons working within DCI as well as WGI programs...YES..I do think they should not be allowed ( if convicted )but I can tell you its not like that let alone checking kids.

You make some very valid points here. First, in most high schools, if an overnight trip is involved, criminal background checks would probably not be required, but kids would most likely be segregated by age, at least in Massachusetts. I know this from experience chaperoning high school activities in school settings. You are also correct when you say that there will be immature 21 year olds and there is a good chance that if the 14 year old is motivated, he may be more mature than his years. There are also possibilities of something wonderful happening. Last summer I watched the semifinals at a local movie theater and when Carolina Crown appeared, members of a local band in the audience erupted with excitement. Apparently when Crown visited the Boston area, members of the band visited Crown while rehearsing. Most of the kids were freshmen/sophomore age, and from what I was told by a parent, members of Crown took them under their wing, showed the instruments, explained about touring, and encouraged the kids to build up their own high school band and audition for a corps one day. The woman who told the story claimed Crown takes mentoring seriously. While there is the possibility of the wrong thing happening, good healthy mentoring relationships can be formed too, with the right corps and circumstances.

BTW: this thread is getting kind of depressing, and as one who has injected reality in a few posts, I have to take some of the credit/blame. Now if this anecdotal story about Crown is false, or if you believe that Crown is made up of party animals and their buses are dens of iniquity, please don't burst my bubble.

I know this thread has spiraled wildly out of control from the original intent, but are you insinuating that the average high schooler's interactions on a day-to-day basis are anywhere similar to a drum corps marching member's interactions on a day-to-day basis?! :blink:

I think anyone that has marched in a nationally touring drum corps knows that marching member on tour has a wildly different experience than a freshman going from class to class in HS. I get that your point is likely that kids encounter a lot of stuff daily and are probably more prepared for drum corps based on their life experiences than some think they are (and I don't disagree with you, depending on the kid: I know 21 year old students who are not mentally prepared/mature enough for a DCI national tour :tongue: ). But let's not get crazy with hyperbole...

Edited by Tim K

I know this thread has spiraled wildly out of control from the original intent, but are you insinuating that the average high schooler's interactions on a day-to-day basis are anywhere similar to a drum corps marching member's interactions on a day-to-day basis?! :blink:

I think anyone that has marched in a nationally touring drum corps knows that marching member on tour has a wildly different experience than a freshman going from class to class in HS. I get that your point is likely that kids encounter a lot of stuff daily and are probably more prepared for drum corps based on their life experiences than some think they are (and I don't disagree with you, depending on the kid: I know 21 year old students who are not mentally prepared/mature enough for a DCI national tour :tongue: ). But let's not get crazy with hyperbole...

I was just following the "logic" of an earlier poster who observed that "adult" marching members should have background checks before marching with "minors".

I agree this thread has spun wildly out of control.

I would rather not get into the details of people showering in the same area. Its just plan nasty to talk about... and don't put words in my mouth. All I simply said was I think that's something you should PM the father about.

More or less I refuse to post my feelings on this subject on a public forum... if you wish to continue our little argument here please send me a PM and I will address myself a little further... have a nice day

This guy hasn't marched. Take it with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

It’s not you. I don’t consider a brief encounter mentoring either. I probably didn’t convey that part and my earlier response is somewhat wordy, so I’ll correct it here. I abbreviated the conversation quite a bit. The woman I spoke with admired the way the members of Crown took an interest in the younger visitors. An instructor told her that was the way the corps functioned. Older members looked out for younger members, experienced members helped inexperienced.

I wouldn't call talking to high school kids after rehearsal "mentoring," but perhaps that's just me.

This guy hasn't marched. Take it with a grain of salt.

Marched DCI; Aged Out; been on DCI Staff; seen the good and the bad in the activity; saw a college student go to jail for commingling with a minor in a high school band setting; (all before you were born son). So, you might want to know what you are talking about prior to making a dumb statement.

• Like 1

It's not you. I don't consider a brief encounter mentoring either. I probably didn't convey that part and my earlier response is somewhat wordy, so I'll correct it here. I abbreviated the conversation quite a bit. The woman I spoke with admired the way the members of Crown took an interest in the younger visitors. An instructor told her that was the way the corps functioned. Older members looked out for younger members, experienced members helped inexperienced.

Crown members spend a *lot* of time in clinic / educational mode including being the "host" corps for the BOA clinic for past 3 summers. IMO the experience of those students you met is pretty typical for high school age kids who get the chance to interact with Crown members and staff.

While we're adding grains of salt ...

Background checks on the members might allow lawyers to check a box but they won't realistically address the issue. That's because the members don't have enough history to make the process meaningful.

The risk here is that a horny guy (yep, it's a guy) between 19 and 21 years old hooks up with a 16-year-old (or younger) girl (or guy) in a state where the age of consent is below 18 and the two-year rule is in effect (the partners can't be more than two years apart in age to give legal consent). These situations happen all the time. A 19-year-old and a 16-year-old are in a situation where the relationship ends badly or the parents get involved and now it's a crime. These aren't predators in the classic sense and certainly not the sort who might be caught in a background check. But the behavior is criminal if prosecuted under the laws of some states.

Background checks of members aren't going to reduce that risk. All they'll do is cost the corps more money. This idea is well-intended but should be dropped nonetheless. Better for the corps staff to preach responsibility.

HH

Edited by glory

I am sure this is going to be accepted on this forum and in this thread like a turd in a punch bowl but sometimes you just cannot be as PC as everyone would like.

After reading this thread, it further confirmed why our young people and future continue to get further behind. It is our job to raise young people to be adults yet we continue to want to coddle and pasify and then cannot understand why they cannot accept the first time someone tells them they are not the best, told no, or do not get the job or part that they want.

Is it wrong for a kid to be around older and more mature people for a summer so they can mature and grow up? Or shoudl they stay in daycare and mommy's care until the day the go off to college?? Maybe when that happens colleges should start having shared living with the parent in the other room because heaven forbid Little Johnny ever have to make a decision, deal with adversity, deal with an uncomfortable situation or grow up and be a responsible adult.

I marched at 14 and sure I was exposed to things other kids my age weren't and what happened?? OH that's right I grew up faster than they did and was at a competitive advantage to other kids my age that didnt march drum corps.

Stop trying to keep your kids as children for their entire life and allow them to grow up and experience life that includes adversity and uncomfort at times. They will be rewarded later in life and will thank you for it.

SO now feel free to blast away... I have thick skin and can take it... Must be because I was exposed to all of those awful things like showering with older people, riding a bus with older people, being held accountable for my choices, and learning to set goals and achieve them.

• Like 4