Should my 14 year-old march

1 minute ago, Tim K said:

This is a bump thread, and even though the young person would be aging out, the issue comes up around this time, especially if the young person is exposed to DCI.

Les Stentors and Colt Cadets have marching members who are young, perhaps as young as 14, but both groups are heavily chaperoned and in the case of Colts Cadets, at least in the past, special attention has been paid to issues such as being away from Mom and Dad, maturity (the difference in maturity between a fourteen year old and a fifteen year old can be astounding). A parent really has to know a corps to decide if this is a good thing. This is a void that feeder corps could fill, and before someone says school bands fill this void, they do not compete in the summer or travel. This is not to minimize school programs who in so many cases do a great job and give kids so much. 

Mine marched when he was 13 in Capital Sound.   

My son marched when he was 14 and did fine. However since we lived in the town where the corps was based there was really no move-in and they didn't leave the state until later than the other corps so the tour was not as long. Both of those things made it easier for a younger person to handle the load.

I have no idea how my almost 8 year old post got bumped but I was asked to say how it turned out.

He marched that year and two more. He did great and loved it.  A herniated disc kept him from marching 15-16. He made a top 12 in 17 but dropped when they went to all euphs. Trying a euph in14 is what caused the herniation. He is a baritone but switched to trumpet in14 because of the disc. He auditioned his age out year at Crown and self cut after two camps because his heart wasn't in it to give that commitment any more and his back was botheringhim a bit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He just graduated with a music education degree and is looking for a teaching gig, not quite the excitement that at least one poster speculated.

• Like 2

Well he had a good experience in those formative years!  And although the injury is no good, it sounds like he gained a ton of maturity and wise decision making skills to know what his limits are and what he wants from things.  And the skill to get a degree and teach.  I'm sure he'll land somewhere!

• Like 1

Just now, KVG_DC said:

Well he had a good experience in those formative years!  And although the injury is no good, it sounds like he gained a ton of maturity and wise decision making skills to know what his limits are and what he wants from things.  And the skill to get a degree and teach.  I'm sure he'll land somewhere!

Yup nothing negative and no regrets.  I have actually done more tours on a food truck than he has marched.

• Like 1