Should my 14 year-old march

I am sure this is going to be accepted on this forum and in this thread like a turd in a punch bowl but sometimes you just cannot be as PC as everyone would like.

After reading this thread, it further confirmed why our young people and future continue to get further behind. It is our job to raise young people to be adults yet we continue to want to coddle and pasify and then cannot understand why they cannot accept the first time someone tells them they are not the best, told no, or do not get the job or part that they want.

Is it wrong for a kid to be around older and more mature people for a summer so they can mature and grow up? Or shoudl they stay in daycare and mommy's care until the day the go off to college?? Maybe when that happens colleges should start having shared living with the parent in the other room because heaven forbid Little Johnny ever have to make a decision, deal with adversity, deal with an uncomfortable situation or grow up and be a responsible adult.

I marched at 14 and sure I was exposed to things other kids my age weren't and what happened?? OH that's right I grew up faster than they did and was at a competitive advantage to other kids my age that didnt march drum corps.

Stop trying to keep your kids as children for their entire life and allow them to grow up and experience life that includes adversity and uncomfort at times. They will be rewarded later in life and will thank you for it.

SO now feel free to blast away... I have thick skin and can take it... Must be because I was exposed to all of those awful things like showering with older people, riding a bus with older people, being held accountable for my choices, and learning to set goals and achieve them.

:worthy:

I am sure this is going to be accepted on this forum and in this thread like a turd in a punch bowl but sometimes you just cannot be as PC as everyone would like.

After reading this thread, it further confirmed why our young people and future continue to get further behind. It is our job to raise young people to be adults yet we continue to want to coddle and pasify and then cannot understand why they cannot accept the first time someone tells them they are not the best, told no, or do not get the job or part that they want.

Is it wrong for a kid to be around older and more mature people for a summer so they can mature and grow up? Or shoudl they stay in daycare and mommy's care until the day the go off to college?? Maybe when that happens colleges should start having shared living with the parent in the other room because heaven forbid Little Johnny ever have to make a decision, deal with adversity, deal with an uncomfortable situation or grow up and be a responsible adult.

I marched at 14 and sure I was exposed to things other kids my age weren't and what happened?? OH that's right I grew up faster than they did and was at a competitive advantage to other kids my age that didnt march drum corps.

Stop trying to keep your kids as children for their entire life and allow them to grow up and experience life that includes adversity and uncomfort at times. They will be rewarded later in life and will thank you for it.

SO now feel free to blast away... I have thick skin and can take it... Must be because I was exposed to all of those awful things like showering with older people, riding a bus with older people, being held accountable for my choices, and learning to set goals and achieve them.

Finally...some common sense. My drum corps involvement spans nearly 40 years. Although pretty much limited to BAC, my experience has been that when there were 14, 15, or 16 year olds in the corps, the older kids GO OUT OF THEIR WAY to take the younger kids under their wing. It was true in 1980, 1990, 2000, and today. While there are substantially fewer 14 or 15 year olds in recent years, I can tell you as an educator that I wouldn't hesitate for a second to allow my 14 year old child to march.

• Like 1

It’s not you. I don’t consider a brief encounter mentoring either. I probably didn’t convey that part and my earlier response is somewhat wordy, so I’ll correct it here. I abbreviated the conversation quite a bit. The woman I spoke with admired the way the members of Crown took an interest in the younger visitors. An instructor told her that was the way the corps functioned. Older members looked out for younger members, experienced members helped inexperienced.

gotcha, that makes sense. I would expect most corps to function this way, but surely not all of them do.

Depends on the corps and class. It is rare for a top world class corps to take anyone under 16, an open class corps would probably be a better fit for that age level. It is not the old days where people can march in a corps since they where 11 or 14. The activity has evovled so much, especially in the physical area. What the corps do today and what they did 20 years ago are completely different.

Depends on the corps and class. It is rare for a top world class corps to take anyone under 16, an open class corps would probably be a better fit for that age level. It is not the old days where people can march in a corps since they where 11 or 14. The activity has evovled so much, especially in the physical area. What the corps do today and what they did 20 years ago are completely different.

Oh no. Cue the chorus ...

Back in the day when Junior marched with the East Westchester Northstars in the Southern Conference of the Veterans Legion Police Youth Organization, they had one 13-year-old and 124 21-year-olds. And that 13-year-old was treated with such dignity and respect all summer that he went on to be lead soprano at BD, center snare at SCV and guard captain at Cavies when EWN of the SC of VLPYO lost its practice facility and was forced to close. He later was a shoe in to be the director of the Garfield Cadets until Hopkins led them to that three-peat. So he decided instead on a career as a corrections officer so he could teach prisoners to sew so they could not only learn useful career skills but could make uniforms for deserving corps and bands. And all because he marched at 13!

Just kidding, of course.

Best,

HH

Oh no. Cue the chorus ...

Back in the day when Junior marched with the East Westchester Northstars in the Southern Conference of the Veterans Legion Police Youth Organization, they had one 13-year-old and 124 21-year-olds. And that 13-year-old was treated with such dignity and respect all summer that he went on to be lead soprano at BD, center snare at SCV and guard captain at Cavies when EWN of the SC of VLPYO lost its practice facility and was forced to close. He later was a shoe in to be the director of the Garfield Cadets until Hopkins led them to that three-peat. So he decided instead on a career as a corrections officer so he could teach prisoners to sew so they could not only learn useful career skills but could make uniforms for deserving corps and bands. And all because he marched at 13!

Just kidding, of course.

Best,

HH

What?

The way this thread has gone, if I had a young child wanting to go into the activity I would definitely say "No Way!". That's my opinion and is based solely upon the comments in this tread.

• Like 1

The way this thread has gone, if I had a young child wanting to go into the activity I would definitely say "No Way!". That's my opinion and is based solely upon the comments in this tread.

That would be unfortunate. There is so much drum corps can teach kids of any age. Young members learn to stand up for themselves to older members in a competitive atmosphere and older members learn how to be nurturing of younger members.

• Like 2

That would be unfortunate. There is so much drum corps can teach kids of any age. Young members learn to stand up for themselves to older members in a competitive atmosphere and older members learn how to be nurturing of younger members.

Concur with the Boo-meister.

While choosing the *right* corps is important, I wouldn't hesitate to send a 14 yr. old off for a summer of drum corps IF that's what they truly wanted to do.

As for the OP -- I'd feel very comfortable with Jersey Surf as a choice! Definitely a good fit for a younger kid.

Edited by corpsband