Should my 14 year-old march

Marched DCI; Aged Out; been on DCI Staff; seen the good and the bad in the activity; saw a college student go to jail for commingling with a minor in a high school band setting; (all before you were born son). So, you might want to know what you are talking about prior to making a dumb statement.

Clearly, I was quoting the OTHER guy. Maybe you should check who is being quoted prior to making a dumb statement. :tongue:

The way this thread has gone, if I had a young child wanting to go into the activity I would definitely say "No Way!". That's my opinion and is based solely upon the comments in this tread.

Do you make all your decisions based on what strangers on the internet say? or just about drum corps?

• Like 1

I mean, if you are really concerned consider a cadet corps.

I mean, if you are really concerned consider a cadet corps.

Which will work if they live within driving distance of Dubuque, Santa Clara or Concord. It doesn't sound like they really want to put their child on a plane several times.

Do you make all your decisions based on what strangers on the internet say? or just about drum corps?

Nope, and I do know a lot about the activity which I have gained over 45 years. What I was trying to point out is how I would feel if I knew little or nothing about the activity. This may or may not be the case with the OP.

I have made it perfectly clear the work, although I never marched. I have never seen him work so much on his horn as when he decided to switch from trombone to baritone 10 days before the open house. I am pretty familiar with the corps and I am aware of no issues past or present with them. I will be helping at the next camp, in part to get a feel for that corps and to talk to people in the corps.

Thanks for your reply.

BINGO! THAT's what you need to do right there. Get involved. Of course, you don't need to hover over him 24/7 and shadow him like an alternate on the field. Give him his space (and room to grow) but the very best thing you can do for him (and you and your wife) is be involved. Do that, and problems that would occur around his age and association with older kids will be minimal to none.

• Like 2

Thank you all for all of your advice. The only reason I am questioning it is because my wife is. He is a very determined young man and knows when it is time to be serious and work hard. I too work in a high school and see him as a one that is mature enough to buckle down and accomplish team goals. Really it seems as if the best course of action is to get my wife there to talk to people one on one. The corps is Jersey Surf so they definitely cater more to younger folks than top tier corps.

Oh gosh yeah! A perfect fit for a 14 year old (or anyone for that matter). Jersey Surf is great and no doubt will there be kids close to his age....as well as possibly the very same age. You have nothing to worry about then. Jersey Surf is a classy organization with a great staff and management that runs a tight clean ship. He will have a blast!

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for all of the advice and the entertainment of others. I knew what to expect when I posted this on here and I know to take some posts with a grain of salt. Thanks also to those of you who pm'd me as well. I love this activity and know that all of you do as well, that is why we get so many passionate remarks on every side of an issue. We'll see how the weekend goes and I will report back. BTW, none of my post starters have ever garnered this much attention.(Not that there have been many over the last nine years.

• 7 months later...

Now that the season is over I thought I should report back. My 14 yo did march Jersey Surf and had an incredible experience. Obviously he had a fun show to perform and received great responses from crowds across the country. There really isn't a bad thing to report. He wishes he was still on tour. He can't wait for the next 96 days to pass until first camp.

• Like 5