Star United

Was the 2011 Mini Corps performance by Star United the best single performance in drum corps history? My experience only goes back to 1956, but I believe it was well worthy of the score awarded.

Joe Dz in NJ

• Like 1

Was the 2011 Mini Corps performance by Star United the best single performance in drum corps history? My experience only goes back to 1956, but I believe it was well worthy of the score awarded.

Joe Dz in NJ

It was by far the greatest I have ever witnessed since my humble beginning in Drumcorps back in 1958. I have no problem with Star's ing of the score. The only problem I have is the score of 100 in my eyes should be an unattainable number. The perfect score given reflects where judging has been going for the last few decades. Under the "tick system" this perfect score would have never happened. Great job Star!

Edited by Shenandoah Vibrato
  • Like 1

It was by far the greatest I have ever witnessed since my humble beginning in Drumcorps back in 1958. I have no problem with Star's ing of the score. The only problem I have is the score of 100 in my eyes should be an unattainable number. The perfect score given reflects where judging has been going for the last few decades. Under the "tick system" this perfect score would have never happened. Great job Star!

Dick,

Yes, you would need ticks indeed to score them below 100...... but none of the judges saw fit to award them anything but the top of the top box using this system..... and that's fine with me because 100 is NOT perfect....just the top available score (R E L A T I V E L Y).

They could have sat on folding chairs (ala Sky 2010) and I'd still consider it the best I've ever witnessed.

Now I have something to look forward to every time I come in from shoveling snow..... a cup of hot tea and STAR ---- Cabs Alumni ----- STAR ---- Freelancers Alumni -----STAR------- CABS Open-------STAR-------refill on the tea...... and repeat ! (I haven't perused all the DVDs enough to add to that list yet, but I will when I spend some time with the others.

Musicality has jumped in leaps and bounds over these past five years or so......

Joe

Well put Joe. I was in the audience that night and thought that the Ghost Riders would topple them this year until Star came out and gave that spectacular performance. My gripe is with the judging system these days. Star would have won using the tick system too.I should not sully this thread with the that. I guess I am just old fashion. Again, I thank Star for a spectacular performance.

Thanks guys for your enthusiasm and appreciation!

I have to agree with both of your assessments.

There were more than enough ticks in that performance that it would be nowhere near 100 had we been using that system today.

The spread is everything, and the old 100+5 is only available to be used once every 25 years or so!

I am glad you feel that it holds up on the DVD. I haven't seen it yet, but in the past, the closer you get the more grit becomes available for you to hear! The tube-o-you videos that are up right now are pretty lo-fi, so people probably get a distorted view of what it really sounded and looked like that night.

Edited by JeffBanyots
  • Like 1

Thanks guys for your enthusiasm and appreciation!

I have to agree with both of your assessments.

There were more than enough ticks in that performance that it would be nowhere near 100 had we been using that system today.

The spread is everything, and the old 100+5 is only available to be used once every 25 years or so!

I am glad you feel that it holds up on the DVD. I haven't seen it yet, but in the past, the closer you get the more grit becomes available for you to hear! The tube-o-you videos that are up right now are pretty lo-fi, so people probably get a distorted view of what it really sounded and looked like that night.

Jeff,

What impressed me so much was how awe-struck the entire audience was. I've watched DVDs of mini corps for several years now and always you see a good number of folks chatting or walking around. But EVERYONE was glued to your performance.

As for sound, I get the impression that your range of volume in playing was so great that the editors had to pull down the levels a few times.

Again, the musicality was magnificent.

Thanks for what you do......

Joe

Despite the street noises, cars and buses driving by and the fact that the camera was accross the street the loading dock victory performance was also great. Correction! Fantastic!

Was the 2011 Mini Corps performance by Star United the best single performance in drum corps history?

I can't argue with that at all.

However, under the tick system, they would not have gotten a perfect score.

It would have been a 99.8. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Patience required here: I don't know enough about judging and the tic system vs. current system, to offer an intelligent response. I try NOT to understand, actually. It just gives me a headache. That said, I think what we all saw and heard was simply "perfection". (It had to be perfection, to beat the performance by the Ghost Riders). We as an audience have seen and heard some amazing corps, lately. The reunited Yankee Rebels with almost 100 horns on the field that started the Alumni corps activity, The Reading Bucs 6 year winning streak, The Brigadiers at full speed in their winning streak. Thats just a sample of the DCA side of things. It was obvious that Minn Brass would have to come up with a show that had all the pieces in place, to topple the Bucs and they had that show, at finals! On the DCI side, we had the Madison Scouts alumni reunion project, the Star of Indiana Alumni performance, the Cavaliers Alumni, The Anahiem Kingsmen Alumni, and the reborn Bridgemen in the Alumni activity. I haven't even listed all that we have witnessed over the last twenty years or so. There is simply too much, to list here! Retorically speaking, Have we become jaded? Have we seen and heard everything there is to be seen and heard? Then, a corps comes along and proves that we HAVEN'T seen it all! That corps is Star United. I think this is why the audience was "blown away", at the mini corps show. Maybe, just MAYBE, George Hopkins has it in his mind to do something amazing this season, with Cadets 2. I don't know. I am waiting (like the rest of us) to see what he has in store. To MY untrained ear, I heard perfection from Star United. What score do you award for "perfection"? I guess you give them 100.

Make no mistake, one of the best things Star has going for them is The Ghost Riders! The judges left only 2 1/3 points for Star....Perhaps if Ghost was on last and Star not present, we would have seen a 99.5 awarded to Ghost.....It's all relative anyway.

One thing is certain..... mini corps has evolved into groups of individuals who meet weekly or so to play some SERIOUS music. The selection of music is excellent and the performances are at the very highest levels.

On one hand, I could see this spreading to become a winter competitive season with many more mini corps forming local circuits. On the other hand, I can also see where some might be happy with weekly or bi-weekly practice sessions and just a few appearances per year.

Mini corps may help us return to the days of MANY drum corps in each state, although I don't see it as a tool for keeping kids off the street ala 1950s junior corps as much as more of a professional venue for slightly older folks. It fits PERFECTLY into the DCI-DCA Class A - Open and Alumni spectrum. (And let's not forget I & E)

I love it !

Joe