Star United

I can't argue with that at all.

However, under the tick system, they would not have gotten a perfect score.

It would have been a 99.8. :thumbup:

Fran,

I just watched their performance on the Finals DVD and saw the 2 ticks you pointed out (one toot and one false start step)........ they weren't there on Friday night....... obviously. For a mini corps to take the field after the Bucs and MBI and still fire up the crowd (and field announcer) is quite an achievement.

It was kind of you to point out that their performance was dedicated to Bill Cook. In addition to his love for drum corps, Bill was a pioneer in medicine and Founded Cook Groups to make medical devices, including guidewires for catheter angiography, His devices have invaded my heart twice....once to determine that I needed a triple bypass, and again 12 years later to show that the grafts were still as clear as new. Many of us owe our lives to his company.

Thanks, Fran

Joe

• Like 1

Make no mistake, one of the best things Star has going for them is The Ghost Riders! The judges left only 2 1/3 points for Star....Perhaps if Ghost was on last and Star not present, we would have seen a 99.5 awarded to Ghost.....It's all relative anyway.

One thing is certain..... mini corps has evolved into groups of individuals who meet weekly or so to play some SERIOUS music. The selection of music is excellent and the performances are at the very highest levels.

On one hand, I could see this spreading to become a winter competitive season with many more mini corps forming local circuits. On the other hand, I can also see where some might be happy with weekly or bi-weekly practice sessions and just a few appearances per year.

Mini corps may help us return to the days of MANY drum corps in each state, although I don't see it as a tool for keeping kids off the street ala 1950s junior corps as much as more of a professional venue for slightly older folks. It fits PERFECTLY into the DCI-DCA Class A - Open and Alumni spectrum. (And let's not forget I & E)

I love it !

Joe

just curious as to what mini corps meet weekly "or so". Star United meets once a month, and only during spring and summer.

It was kind of you to point out that their performance was dedicated to Bill Cook. In addition to his love for drum corps, Bill was a pioneer in medicine and Founded Cook Groups to make medical devices, including guidewires for catheter angiography, His devices have invaded my heart twice....once to determine that I needed a triple bypass, and again 12 years later to show that the grafts were still as clear as new. Many of us owe our lives to his company.

Thanks, Fran

Joe

Joe, I appreciate the compliment... but thank the folks from Star United for this one. They were the ones who gave me the writeup with the dedication to Mr. Cook. I was only reading what they wanted to have said.

It was by far the greatest I have ever witnessed since my humble beginning in Drumcorps back in 1958. I have no problem with Star's ing of the score. The only problem I have is the score of 100 in my eyes should be an unattainable number. The perfect score given reflects where judging has been going for the last few decades. Under the "tick system" this perfect score would have never happened. Great job Star!

I do not agree that the tick system would have given a lower score. It would have still been the same judges that were scoring them. Usually when you see perfect scores in single captions, it is because judges have boxed themselves in from scoring the previous group too high. This was not the case with Star United. It is not like the second place group received a 99. A judge under this system is certainly capable of giving a lower score for the reason of no group being perfect. The tick system (as you know) takes points away when a judge discovers an error. You are assuming the judges would have discovered an error... but I am not so sure.

Was the 2011 Mini Corps performance by Star United the best single performance in drum corps history? My experience only goes back to 1956, but I believe it was well worthy of the score awarded.

Joe Dz in NJ

Star United 2011 performance is why I follow drum corps !

There is no doubt that Star United is amazing. And I appreciate the comments about the Ghost Riders as well. To be mentioned in the same paragraph with Star United is a real tribute to what we do up here in "parts unknown".

Donny

• Like 1

I don't know who this Banyot guy is representing the Star United but I thought the performance was just o.k. ...ish :satisfied:

• Like 1

I don't know who this Banyot guy is representing the Star United but I thought the performance was just o.k. ...ish :satisfied:

I don't know who this LP guy is thinking he is representing coherent thought, but I am pretty sure I saw him spill his beer on the two rows nearest him when we did the kick halt in 1812...

• Like 2

yeah o.k.,,,but there was just that one part (and about 9 more minutes) ,,and I only spilled it on one row (see the video)...:ph34r: