A Trivial Piece of Very Trivial Drum Corps Trivia T

Andyroo

In going through my collection of contest scores, I've occasionally come across the name "St. Joseph's Ironbound Cadets." I thought it an odd name, but certainly no worse than the Leaside Lions "Jungle Kings." But since they weren't one of the powerhouses of the time, I didn't think much of it.

Today, reading a model railroading magazine, I noticed that Andy Romano of California has included the Ironbound neighborhood of Newark in his layout. It explains that "The Ironbound neighborhood of Newark, NJ, is so-called because it was surrounded by railroads (and, obviously, railroad tracks): The Pennsylvania, the Lehigh Valley, and the Central Railroad of New Jersey."

Clarified... After all these years...

In going through my collection of contest scores, I've occasionally come across the name "St. Joseph's Ironbound Cadets." I thought it an odd name, but certainly no worse than the Leaside Lions "Jungle Kings." But since they weren't one of the powerhouses of the time, I didn't think much of it.

Today, reading a model railroading magazine, I noticed that Andy Romano of California has included the Ironbound neighborhood of Newark in his layout. It explains that "The Ironbound neighborhood of Newark, NJ, is so-called because it was surrounded by railroads (and, obviously, railroad tracks): The Pennsylvania, the Lehigh Valley, and the Central Railroad of New Jersey."

Yes, Newark, N.J. was a Big, 6 Drum Corps town.

Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights

St. Lucy's Cadets

Woodsiders (of Loyal Woodsmen of the World)

St. Joe's Ironbound Cadets

St. Rose of Lima Imperial Lancers

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Plus a Sr. Corps Washington Carver Gay Blades

Edited by 2B or not 2B

Yes, Newark, N.J. was a Big, 6 Drum Corps town.

Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights

St. Lucy's Cadets

Woodsiders (of Loyal Woodsmen of the World)

St. Joe's Ironbound Cadets

St. Rose of Lima Imperial Lancers

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Plus a Sr. Corps Washington Carver Gay Blades

... and the Ballentine Brewers ...

:-)

• Like 1

The Ironbound neighborhood also has some great Portugese restaurants. The garlic shrimp... fantastic! :thumbup:

I have heard the name, "St. Joseph's Ironbound Cadets" before, so that was nothing new to me when I read Andy's original post. However, this thread got me to wondering if the "St. Joe's Ironbound" is also the same corps as the (original) "Mighty St. Joe's" that I have heard referred to over the years. Is there someone out there who can clarify if they are two different corps, or one and the same?

I have heard the name, "St. Joseph's Ironbound Cadets" before, so that was nothing new to me when I read Andy's original post. However, this thread got me to wondering if the "St. Joe's Ironbound" is also the same corps as the (original) "Mighty St. Joe's" that I have heard referred to over the years. Is there someone out there who can clarify if they are two different corps, or one and the same?

John,

Just judging from the dates of their entries in my listings, I tend to think they're two different corps. But since I'm getting ready to leave town, I won't have time to look up specifics. I would suggest, however, that you talk with Duke Tererri today at practice; his father was tied in so closely with the original St. Joe's that he might know.

Ah, another MR subscriber!

Ray

Ah, another MR subscriber!

Ray

Yup! ...for many years now. I get a lot of great ideas from MR, but, unfortunately, they remain simply ideas. Perhaps when I retire....

On the other hand, I have an enormous collection of very nice N Scale stuff - which will probably revert (unused) to my grandsons when I cross that final finish line. :smile:

The Ironbound neighborhood also has some great Portugese restaurants. The garlic shrimp... fantastic! :thumbup:

I have become a huge fan of them. I love working in the Ironbound!!

... and the Ballentine Brewers ...

:-)

And the Blessed Sac Sr corps for a season (1975)....