CONGRATS PHANTOM!

I do wonder.... How do ticket sales through an entire season compare to the number of downloads?

Not sure what your question is!

Are you wondering IF the corps who score so high in paid downloads also SELL tickets at shows? That maybe people buy downloads RATHER THAN tickets?

I can only speak of what I know is true with Phantom Regiment -- WE DO (sell BOTH)!

Our home show, the FIRST TOC show, sold out the entire stadium, a part of the back stands and there was quite a few people sitting in lawn chairs just outside of the end zone.

Our Paddock Lake (Salem) Wisconsin show will be packed full.

I didnt get to the West Virginia show, but heard nothing but good things about the turn out and the show.

I'm sure this outcome is consistant with the other corps who have scored a high number of downloads. People want downloads to play later and to show to friends/family of some of the great drum corps that we have touring our country. They buy tickets to see great drum corps shows, then go and purchase the downloads to shows they want to share and/or remember the most.

The entire PR organization should be proud of this achievement! To no surprise, the emotional, passionate, crowd-pleasing shows PR is known for seem to have the greatest impact and memory.

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=8d002bf7-f0fe-4f92-9876-ad053d93f321

When I first heard the show in the early season I remember liking the music...thinking.."This is the Phantom Reg". Finally saw them live in Allentown..really liked the show...and after seeing them at Giants Stadium the Sunday before DCI finals...I was completely hooked. They may not have received the most ecstatic crowd reaction...but on finals night..they clearly had the longest standing ovation.....awesome :)

• Like 2

I would submit that being the top selling audio download is less about being a crowd favorite and more about having one of the few shows that is enjoyable in an audio only context.

Several shows I saw and liked this summer don't hold together without the visuals.

• Like 5

Not sure what your question is!

Are you wondering IF the corps who score so high in paid downloads also SELL tickets at shows? That maybe people buy downloads RATHER THAN tickets?

I can only speak of what I know is true with Phantom Regiment -- WE DO (sell BOTH)!

Our home show, the FIRST TOC show, sold out the entire stadium, a part of the back stands and there was quite a few people sitting in lawn chairs just outside of the end zone.

Our Paddock Lake (Salem) Wisconsin show will be packed full.

I didnt get to the West Virginia show, but heard nothing but good things about the turn out and the show.

I'm sure this outcome is consistant with the other corps who have scored a high number of downloads. People want downloads to play later and to show to friends/family of some of the great drum corps that we have touring our country. They buy tickets to see great drum corps shows, then go and purchase the downloads to shows they want to share and/or remember the most.

I didnt mean offense. Obviously it is a great organization.

I asked what I asked

I’m not surprised about the 2011 downloads. While “Elsa’s Procession” is rightfully praised, I think “East of Eden” is one of the most beautiful beginnings of a show. I downloaded it as soon as it was available and it can give me goosebumps. I can get so caught up it may even be more of a driving hazard for me than cellphone use! “A time For Us,” not quite Phantom’s classical fare is also magnificent. Phantom has always had the ability to select music that is both challenging and listener friendly and many of their shows do offer a pleasing listening experience without the visuals. For me, it’s their 1991 show that holds up best (“Nessun Dorma” “Pagliacci” “Samson et Delilah”) also some of their shows in the “key of G” come across great. For me, it’s 1977 and 1979. I am looking forward to this summer’s “Turandot.”

Also, someone mentioned that Crown did well download wise too. Their style is somewhat different to Phantom, but they seem to have a similar method to Phantom: offer a challenging show musically that is also fan friendly.

• Like 1

I have been a fan for 40+ years; a small point is that many of us fans of 'Old-Fashioned' Drum Corps don't use the DCI downloads; we have the Legacy Series DVD, as well, at least in my case the 33&1/3 rpm LP albums and/or tapes, plus VCR tapes of the PBS broadcasts.

I am curious whether DCI has records on on how Legacy DVDs and/or the LPs from the 70s and 80s compare with the downloads from the web site?

Perhaps Mike Boo, as semi-official DCI apologist on on DCP might have access to the sales figures.

A potential new revenue stream for DCI could be making all the Ken Kobald recordings that DCI supposedly has in a closet somewhere available as digital downloads. If so, I might have to [finally] trade my Walkman for an Ipod... (although I fear there might be copyright issues).

I have been a fan for 40+ years; a small point is that many of us fans of 'Old-Fashioned' Drum Corps don't use the DCI downloads; we have the Legacy Series DVD, as well, at least in my case the 33&1/3 rpm LP albums and/or tapes, plus VCR tapes of the PBS broadcasts.

I am curious whether DCI has records on on how Legacy DVDs and/or the LPs from the 70s and 80s compare with the downloads from the web site?

Perhaps Mike Boo, as semi-official DCI apologist on on DCP might have access to the sales figures.

A potential new revenue stream for DCI could be making all the Ken Kobald recordings that DCI supposedly has in a closet somewhere available as digital downloads. If so, I might have to [finally] trade my Walkman for an Ipod... (although I fear there might be copyright issues).

*cough*dinoalert*cough*

• Like 1