Balancing College and Drum Corps fees

How to you balance paying for College and paying for drum Corps at the same time ? I was planning on getting a music scholorship, but I decided to do drum corps instead of marching in college. I have made good grades so far, but I dont know if I can keep up my grades to A level, especially in math.

So how to you pay for College (partial scholoship) and Drum Corps ?

there are lots of ways to get college scholarships... academically, it varies by school.

you can march in a college band and do drum corps. the seasons don't overlap at all. tons of kids do it.

Depends on the school.

Many colleges have tryouts around DCI finals week, so it depends on the school the OP goes to...

Some of them have weekly rehearsals after those tryouts, which may conflict with corps.

You know, it wouldn't hurt to find out the schedules of the colleges to be sure.

By the grace of God.

No, seriously.

Well to pay for drum corps I fundraised. A LOT. Sponsorship letters, car washes, the whole shebang and was able to get all the money for that. Also save what money you can from your job, if you have one. If you're living on your own in college and not already, eat cheap.

Get organized, show discipline and be prepared to sacrifice.

Organization is what you'll need to balance study for school (and corps) while working. Discipline you'll need to persevere in your studies when you're tired and feeling sorry for yourself. And in doing both these things, be prepared to sacrifice the temptations that distract and detract from your aim.

The goal is to afford school and corps and to do well at both. That probably means you'll have to skip most Thursday nights out with friends (probably most Fridays and Saturdays too). Even if you can afford the scratch, you probably can't afford the time away from study (or work). Spring break in Florida or Arizona or wherever kids from your school go? Not you. You're not saving for vacation - unless its summer vacation sleeping in buses and gyms and never enough.

Organization. Discipline. Sacrifice. Make it happen. Or stay home.

HH

Depends on the school.

Many colleges have tryouts around DCI finals week, so it depends on the school the OP goes to...

Some of them have weekly rehearsals after those tryouts, which may conflict with corps.

You know, it wouldn't hurt to find out the schedules of the colleges to be sure.

oh... I know there are lots of DCI kids that marching in college, so I figured this was very common. Personally, I did not since my school had a pep/scramble band only. But yes, the best advice is to look at the particular college you will be going to, because each college has slightly different requirements and a slightly different schedule.

as has been posted in this thread, some people skip a quarter or semester of school to do drum corps and add years on to their schooling. This might be the right choice for you, or it might not. It would not have been the right choice for me, but everyone is different.

and, for your birthday/christmas you can ask for money towards tour fees. You can march somewhere that is driving distance (vs. flying distance) because flights add up a lot.

Edited by soccerguy315

I know kids who took out "education loans" for drum corps. I even know a kid who got a credit card with over 18% APR and put the whole season on a card.

NOTE: DO NOT DO THIS. Do not risk your long term finances on a summer in drum corps.

Your participation in drum corps should be part of an overall plan you have put together. It is an expensive semester...many private colleges are cheaper. And if you have to travel to camps, it will involve missing some school and extra travel expenses.

It is already January 2012 and if a young person was my child, our plan would already have been in place last summer for this year. I believe it's very late in the process to be putting together a successful plan for the 2012. But, it's been done before. It all depends on how hard you and your family work at it. But, if your family is less than supportive of you being in drum corps...it's going to be a heck of a lot harder.

• Like 1

there are lots of ways to get college scholarships... academically, it varies by school.

you can march in a college band and do drum corps. the seasons don't overlap at all. tons of kids do it.

Not sure if it's the same now but in the 80 & 90's Hawkeye Marching Band's (U of Iowa) "Hell Week" overlapped with finals week (but finals week was later in August then). I think corps kids got a pass back then as I know of several folks who marched both corps and HMB.

Talk to the marching band directors - you may get a pass too! Good luck.