1986 Star of Indiana is DCI.org Download of the Week

The band director at the school I work at (Assistant Director/Drumline) marched soprano in that show!!!

I received a note from someone Monday who worked as an equipment manager for a corps that lent Star of Indiana four contras for the feature that is shown on the video. He states, "The horns came back in FAR better condition AND also came back in hand-made wooden cases (which weighed a freaking ton - LOL). Class act were Star; class act."

• Like 1

Two questions...

1) I saw them a couple times live that year...with the wheels along the back of the field...question...did they EVER use them in a performance before nixing them?

2) Is it really true that they buried them?

Two questions...

1) I saw them a couple times live that year...with the wheels along the back of the field...question...did they EVER use them in a performance before nixing them?

2) Is it really true that they buried them?

Yes, they used the wheels at the very beginning of the season. The staff could hear the laughter from the crowds.

Yes, they really did bury them behind Star Hall/Brown School. They brought in a backhoe and unceremoniously dumped them in and covered them up. Everyone just wanted to see them disappear and they were deemed too difficult to take apart and recycle. I've talked about it with someone who was there to wash their hands of the experiment-gone-wrong.

Yes, they used the wheels at the very beginning of the season. The staff could hear the laughter from the crowds.

Yes, they really did bury them behind Star Hall/Brown School. They brought in a backhoe and unceremoniously dumped them in and covered them up. Everyone just wanted to see them disappear and they were deemed too difficult to take apart and recycle. I've talked about it with someone who was there to wash their hands of the experiment-gone-wrong.

they should have stored them someplace...I'm sure there are a few corps today that would have used them... :blink:

Yes, they were used the first week of tour and we realized how limited they were and got rid of them. Inversion boots, poles that needed ball bearings to steer them, lots of stuff we were not prepared for at the time... BUT...a very cool idea.

Mike, I don't know if I would call this "an experiment gone wrong" (though I know others did). I was there that summer as the caption head and there were a lot of cool and creative ideas that came out of that summer that a few years later manifested themselves in other programs (and Star). Tough part about that summer is that the corps got VERY GOOD... VERY QUICKLY... and between staff/designer's family member's passing away and a few sicknesses that included hospitals for some people, it became a rough summer for all.

Making a decision to tear out the drum solo at the end of the opener with less then two weeks in the season, probably was the biggest mistake (and a funny/sad story I still tell to this day), when we were in the 90's in all captions but drums. But this was the year that you started to hear the infamous "Star Sound" from the hornline. Probably, one of the most underrated hornlines of that summer.

• Like 2

These silver-white assemblages of big hair mullets-run-amok were—in the initial design sketches—intended to make the guard look galactically glamorous.

Instead, the wigs gave off the aura of Hell’s Angels biker chicks having a bad hair day and being about five minutes away from climbing into the stands to start knocking heads together. It’s the same style adopted by punk rocker Courtney Love in the early 1990s. The wigs certainly helped create a visual attitude and with a little Endust, could have also seen double duty to help keep the corps’ housing site gym floors clean.

Read more: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=d431bb6c-1eae-4a93-a597-b3584527d9eb#ixzz1j587E5ph

:thumbup:

• Like 1

Yes, they were used the first week of tour and we realized how limited they were and got rid of them. Inversion boots, poles that needed ball bearings to steer them, lots of stuff we were not prepared for at the time... BUT...a very cool idea.

Mike, I don't know if I would call this "an experiment gone wrong" (though I know others did). I was there that summer as the caption head and there were a lot of cool and creative ideas that came out of that summer that a few years later manifested themselves in other programs (and Star). Tough part about that summer is that the corps got VERY GOOD... VERY QUICKLY... and between staff/designer's family member's passing away and a few sicknesses that included hospitals for some people, it became a rough summer for all.

Making a decision to tear out the drum solo at the end of the opener with less then two weeks in the season, probably was the biggest mistake (and a funny/sad story I still tell to this day), when we were in the 90's in all captions but drums. But this was the year that you started to hear the infamous "Star Sound" from the hornline. Probably, one of the most underrated hornlines of that summer.

Wow, I don't remember the drum solo. I'd love to hear that story. "Experiment-gone-wrong" is too harsh. Perhaps "off-track" or "an experiment the staff stopped believing in" would be more fair.