27th Alumni & Staff (inc. Once More in '94)

TO: 27th Lancers Alumni & Staff (1968-86), and "Once-More-in'94" Participants & Staff (1993-95)

DBclearer.jpgoldeenglish.jpg

Bumper stickers are 7.25" by 4.75"

FREE-OF-CHARGE to all former Two-Seven members & staff.

Alumni: if you haven't already done so, e-mail me (Bill Sullivan) at < take.a.knee.men@gmail.com > with your mailing address. Limit: 2 per alumni/staff member. Specify "Olde English" lettering or "Plain Font" lettering ( or one of each.) Layout & production was donated by our corps-mate Peter Mullin and the folks of Label Tech Inc. of New Hampshire. Peter cleaned up my design idea, and his company printed them up.

If there are any left after all alumni & staff have been served, the left-overs will be presented to the committee planning The 27th Lancer Alumni Association's 45th Legacy Reunion to be held 19-21 OCTOBER 2012 in Danvers (CoCo Key Hotel & Water Resort, soon to be a Double Tree Hotel.)

We are doing this project to keep the Lancer Legacy legacy alive, as a "Pay-It-Forward" honoring the memory of Patsy & George B. I'm not the man I might have been without their influence at an important juncture in my life.

TO REQUEST two bumper stickers: email me at < take.a.knee.men@gmail.com > with your mailing address and indicate whether you want one of each style, or two of either "Plain" font or "Olde English" font. TWO-SEVEN!!

Edited by Navillus WP

Weird dream last night for me! I dreamed I won a lot of money and decided to spend some on bringing back a drum corps....it just so happened it was the 27th Lancers. How weird!!!!

• Like 2

I never even marched with them. I was in NY. Crazy dream!

Weird dream last night for me! I dreamed I won a lot of money and decided to spend some on bringing back a drum corps....it just so happened it was the 27th Lancers. How weird!!!!

• Like 1

God bless you, my son.

I've seen other post where some have debated whether 27th could ever have a comeback. Most seemed to feel that "Once More in 94" was the grand finale, and all I can say is what a way to go.

Certain corps in Massachusetts evoke a nostalgic response from people who loved drum corps in Boston. St. Kevin's Emerald Knights and its beloved spiritual director (and my former employer) Fr. J. Joseph Kierce come to mind. We love looking back on the good old days and the personalities involved, but love and respect were not easily earned in the Boston area and 27th may be the best example. Local fans expected a great deal from 27th, in a way that is similar to the Red Sox. It's an interesting coincidence that 27th's last year competing was 1986, and baseball fans know that 86 was not the best year for the Sox. When 27th succeeded, everyone loved them. 1980, both the Winter Olympic appearances and DCI may be the best example of total love for 27th. I also remember 78. It was a rebuilding year and 27th earned a respectable 7th place finish at DCI, far better than most expected that year, yet few cut 27th slack, many were critical, and certainly did not give 27th the latitude granted to North Star and Crusaders, which I do not say in a spirit of disrespect. I loved all three. But 27th had to work hard to earn the love they received from local fans, love and appreciation that seemed to be a given for 27th in other parts of the country. Now they are greatly missed. No other corps connected with the audience quite the way 27th did and keep in mind, the pull of the heart that "Danny Boy" always accomplished was only part of the show. 27th was the total package.

Jersey Surf is planning a "Bridgemnaia" show this summer. We have to wait and see if it succeeds, but even if it is not as great as the original, fond memories will come to mind. Could a corps do a 27th tribute? Perhaps. Note I said tribute. I don't think there could ever be a duplication.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

I've seen other post where some have debated whether 27th could ever have a comeback. Most seemed to feel that "Once More in 94" was the grand finale, and all I can say is what a way to go.

.......... Could a corps do a 27th tribute? Perhaps. Note I said tribute. I don't think there could ever be a duplication.

Thanks, Tim. It was a heck of a ride.....

-WPS-

Jim, John, Lauren, Jack, Tomato - going out to you in today's mail. -WPS-

Linda from GA: going out in today's mail to you.

When 27th succeeded, everyone loved them. 1980, both the Winter Olympic appearances and DCI may be the best example of total love for 27th. I also remember 78. It was a rebuilding year and 27th earned a respectable 7th place finish at DCI, far better than most expected that year, yet few cut 27th slack, many were critical, and certainly did not give 27th the latitude granted to North Star and Crusaders, which I do not say in a spirit of disrespect. I loved all three. But 27th had to work hard to earn the love they received from local fans, love and appreciation that seemed to be a given for 27th in other parts of the country.

George Bonfiglio was a special person to every person with whom he associated. People make judgements about him without knowing him personally are risking making hasty conclusions. Was he perfect? No. Did George make mistakes. Yes, but never for spiteful or narrow-minded reasons.

"George B" could inspire people with lofty statements and observations. He was famous for a few of them, most of which were significant in the context. One of them is appropriate to the context of your post: The biggest reason anyone would dislike you is because they wished they could be more like you. At the time we knew exactly what he was saying to us: act with the conviction that you are being someone worth emulating.

Edited by Navillus WP
  • Like 1

Eric and Suzanne: going out to you in tomorrow's mail. -WPS-