Speaking of Bonnie Ott

melligene

Nice post today on Face Book by Drum Corps' World regarding Bonnie Ott. Deservedly so. My question: How does one learn how to do Lip Trills? What is the practice regumine. Been playing a horn since 1954 (trumpet, Mellophone, blah, blah, Blah,) but never asked till now. Is it a gift...? A certain tecnique...? What..? I'm 68 years old now so I'd like to learn this ONE thing while I have the time.

Thanks.

Bonnie was one of the best mellos ever. Last I heard she was marching with the SF Renegades. The only thing I know about lip trills is that they're done with the tongue and not the lips, so I guess the term is something of a misnomer.

• 4 weeks later...

Lip trills are just fast slurs. I learned out of the Arban's book. Took about 3 months when I was in high school. I practiced them a lot.

Lip trills are just fast slurs. I learned out of the Arban's book. Took about 3 months when I was in high school. I practiced them a lot.

Same here. I did it with the tongue and saying "ah-ee-ah-ee-...". Just took lot of practice to get the tongue moving that fast and smooth..

Same here. I did it with the tongue and saying "ah-ee-ah-ee-...". Just took lot of practice to get the tongue moving that fast and smooth..

Not exactly sure how I do it, I just do! Maybe I am just lucky! :D

• 1 month later...

Try whistling it...notice how the front part of the tongue goes below the gum line and the back of the tongue lifts? Pick up the horn. Then slowly slur between two partials...let`s say High C&D, play both notes open,using the same tongue technique you whistled with...speed it up with a little more air on the D...easy as pie!

• 2 weeks later...

da-ee-ah-ee-ah-ee-ah-ee slowly then build up speed.

Cooley is right by whistling it, it gets easier to build speed. It is a very fast lip slur, like someone had mentioned. Try it between a major second at first like a-b or c-d upper register, then you can make it faster and get bigger intervals. Think the theme from the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. You should have no problem with the last one.

BTW...it isnt anywhere on a Labatt's Blue can, so you might as well stop looking for it there.

Donny

• 3 weeks later...

Two great resources for building a solid lip trill.

The Colin Lip Flexibilities

The Bai Lin Lip Flexibilities

get flexible everywhere, don't let the lip trill be because of tension or a gimmick. Play with a wet embouchure and play every flexibility imaginable. Before you know it, you'll have a solid lip trill.

The hardest part of the lip trill once you get flexible, is getting the first lip trill to break. Once you get the lip trill started, it goes pretty well. Trombone players have a trick of barely moving the slide out (just a bit) to get that first break to happen.