Saving Drum Corps part I: Defining the problem

I don't dismiss band, I'm currently teaching one. But if kids are marching weekend band as you say, then kids are not so different from our day when they marched weekend drum corps. A segment of this presumed "different generation" still want this experience in one form or another.

I don't think they are all that different...it is just that they receive the same weekend experience we did, but in the fall, not summer, and in far greater number than ever marched in drum corps.

So it seems that in your mind there is no hope for weekend drum corps circuits which you, in turn, blithely dismiss. How sad that someone with your evident experience is so closed to the possibilities of the activity that I am sure gave you so much. You could use that experience to be instrumental in helping a whole new generation have what you had. Perhaps you are concentrating your time on those weekend bands. If so, kudos for giving your time to kids!

My involvement is with our local HS band. I arrange the music, both winds and percussion, and I teach them as well. Been on staff with them since 1994. I have been working with bands at one level or another since 1971, my freshman year in college.

A piece of this year's show at USSBA Nats...

We're a little more optimistic here. Quebec has the starts of a resurging circuit. Ontario will follow. With no marching band programs, what can it hurt to try?

You are looking to fill a void, which is great. My own POV is that there is no such void with the competitive band scene in the states. At least not enough for local-style corps circuits to spring up all over the US. The model is slighly different than back in the day. There were pretty much always a group of 10-20 very top corps at the top of the pyramid, with the base of the pyramid the more local-style corps, even pre-DCI. Today, you have the top of the pyramid being the DCI corps, but the base is now the scholastic programs.

Kind of a sidebar. But if we really want to save drum and bugle corps (ie brass/percussion music) as a viable and distinctive art form, I believe that it can be accomplished via funding.

Form a non-profit grant giving foundation where people can donate via paypal, payroll deductions, etc. Basically I think DCI is too far gone to even worry about. This would apply mainly to DCA, SDCA, Alumni, and parade corps. The foundation would be based upon the principles of grants being disbursed to organizations who agree to the following principles:

1. Purchase of 2 or 3 valve g bugles only (and or percussion or guard equipment if meeting other criteria fully)

2. Grants will not be disbursed to groups using synths, amps, woodwinds or instrumentation other than g-bugles & percussion. Any group that violates this agreement will void the grant contract and risk legal action.

3. Organizations should show a solid business plan for survival and demonstrate need.

4. A mandatory number of local performances and proof of commitment to recruit a local membership

5. Start-up assistance for corps meeting certain criteria

6. Financial assistance for corps hosting local/regional shows or revival of regional championships

Basically money talks, and I bet a lot of corps would be glad to have free instrumentation, uniform funds, etc.

I know Mike and John are going to hate this idea, but for those of us who prefer our brass pure and unfiltered it might be a way to make a positive impact and rebuild the activity. Just a thought...

• Like 1

I don't think they are all that different...it is just that they receive the same weekend experience we did, but in the fall, not summer, and in far greater number than ever marched in drum corps.

That is certainly true these days....

My involvement is with our local HS band. I arrange the music, both winds and percussion, and I teach them as well. Been on staff with them since 1994. I have been working with bands at one level or another since 1971, my freshman year in college.

So - no offence intended, but this explains your bias in favour of the band scene and your preference for no comparable drum corps circuit to exist. There is no reason both could not exist. It's great to have a choice.

You are looking to fill a void, which is great. My own POV is that there is no such void with the competitive band scene in the states. At least not enough for local-style corps circuits to spring up all over the US. The model is slighly different than back in the day. There were pretty much always a group of 10-20 very top corps at the top of the pyramid, with the base of the pyramid the more local-style corps, even pre-DCI. Today, you have the top of the pyramid being the DCI corps, but the base is now the scholastic programs.

Fill a void - yes. With no band scene here it's a huge void that only drum corps will fill. But it's a little more than that. Drum corps is an endangered species.

Kind of a sidebar. But if we really want to save drum and bugle corps (ie brass/percussion music) as a viable and distinctive art form, I believe that it can be accomplished via funding.

Form a non-profit grant giving foundation where people can donate via paypal, payroll deductions, etc. Basically I think DCI is too far gone to even worry about. This would apply mainly to DCA, SDCA, Alumni, and parade corps. The foundation would be based upon the principles of grants being disbursed to organizations who agree to the following principles:

1. Purchase of 2 or 3 valve g bugles only (and or percussion or guard equipment if meeting other criteria fully)

2. Grants will not be disbursed to groups using synths, amps, woodwinds or instrumentation other than g-bugles & percussion. Any group that violates this agreement will void the grant contract and risk legal action.

3. Organizations should show a solid business plan for survival and demonstrate need.

4. A mandatory number of local performances and proof of commitment to recruit a local membership

6. Financial assistance for corps hosting local/regional shows or revival of regional championships

Basically money talks, and I bet a lot of corps would be glad to have free instrumentation, uniform funds, etc.

I know Mike and John are going to hate this idea, but for those of us who prefer our brass pure and unfiltered it might be a way to make a positive impact and rebuild the activity. Just a thought...

I don't hate it at all. Big thumbs up from me! Just make it international so we can feel some of that love up here in the Great White North, OK? :thumbup:

Already in place ... been for a while via Drum Corps World:

21st Century Drum & Bugle Corps Foundation

The Foundation's Purpose

*** To assist non-profit organizations in starting new junior drum and bugle corps around the United States to involve more young people.

*** To maintain an "equipment bank" of used bugles, percussion equipment and uniforms, and make it available to start-up groups.

*** To plan and implement or assist at management seminars for individuals who wish to learn about how to start a drum and bugle corps.

*** To publish several books on the history of the drum and bugle corps activity and use the profits to perpetuate the foundation's other programs.

Not sure of how active the foundation is but, it would seem to provide a basis for what you outlined.

:-)

Already in place ... been for a while via Drum Corps World:

21st Century Drum & Bugle Corps Foundation

The Foundation's Purpose

*** To assist non-profit organizations in starting new junior drum and bugle corps around the United States to involve more young people.

*** To maintain an "equipment bank" of used bugles, percussion equipment and uniforms, and make it available to start-up groups.

*** To plan and implement or assist at management seminars for individuals who wish to learn about how to start a drum and bugle corps.

*** To publish several books on the history of the drum and bugle corps activity and use the profits to perpetuate the foundation's other programs.

Not sure of how active the foundation is but, it would seem to provide a basis for what you outlined.

:-)

USA only - no Canadian content. :sad: That would be very helpful.....

People should be all over this. I would be if it was active up here.

So - no offence intended, but this explains your bias in favour of the band scene and your preference for no comparable drum corps circuit to exist. There is no reason both could not exist. It's great to have a choice.

I'd love to see both. IMO it is not going to happen. One reason is that with such a large competitive band scene, there is no impetus to start local-style weekend drum corps circuits all over the country. It is a different time than the 50's and 60's.

Don't forget who started those little corps back then...VFW, AL, CYO...those groups are not in any position to fund and manage such efforts these days.

The Catholic church is not the power it was, especially in the urban areas. Just look at the list of corps on corpsreps...St "This" and St "That" all over the place. Most of them never made it to the DCI era at all, or just barely.

WWII and Korean Vets were the bulk of the VFW and AL membership in the 50's and 60's. Their kids were the marching members...that is how I started in 1964 at age 10 1/2, when my dad signed me up at the little corps his VFW post sponsored.

There is no ready pool of members at this point. Viet Nam vets didn't flock to those groups, and it doesn't seem that vets of more recent military service are either.

I certainly have no preference to NOT see such circuits; I just don't see them happening, at least in the US.

Actually, I don't hate the idea. People are free to spend their money as they so choose.

Personally, I don't think it has any chance of making an impact, given the costs of doing business these days. You would need millions of dollars to make much of a difference in a country as large as the US.

And...I do see you have gone beyond the idea of supporting a youth activity in mentioning DCA (and yes, their average age has dropped over time, but they are still open to 'all-age' participation) and alumni corps. That might make it more difficult to get funding from people/groups who like to support youth activities...but again, people are free to support what they wish.

• Like 1

I'd love to see both. IMO it is not going to happen. One reason is that with such a large competitive band scene, there is no impetus to start local-style weekend drum corps circuits all over the country. It is a different time than the 50's and 60's.

Don't forget who started those little corps back then...VFW, AL, CYO...those groups are not in any position to fund and manage such efforts these days.

The Catholic church is not the power it was, especially in the urban areas. Just look at the list of corps on corpsreps...St "This" and St "That" all over the place. Most of them never made it to the DCI era at all, or just barely.

WWII and Korean Vets were the bulk of the VFW and AL membership in the 50's and 60's. Their kids were the marching members...that is how I started in 1964 at age 10 1/2, when my dad signed me up at the little corps his VFW post sponsored.

There is no ready pool of members at this point. Viet Nam vets didn't flock to those groups, and it doesn't seem that vets of more recent military service are either.

I certainly have no preference to NOT see such circuits; I just don't see them happening, at least in the US.

I understand, but when weekend drum corps circuits were in the ascendancy, I'm sure someone made similar statements about a weekend band circuit.

I understand, but when weekend drum corps circuits were in the ascendancy, I'm sure someone made similar statements about a weekend band circuit.

maybe Canada can do this I dont think you will ever see it to anything close to what it was back in the day here....as Mike said Band has for sure filled that void.Canada long before the US corps did. If it wasnt DCI then what was it there? I have taught many many kids every year from Canada traveling here to the US , I ask them all the time..they say nothing lasts , thats why and laso that they are so spread out its hard to even keep a winter guard going. I would think for those reasons alone it would be hard to get and keep something going.