Saving Drum Corps part I: Defining the problem

The problem I always had was playing my trumpet in school all week and then having to switch over to a G. This got worse when I was with Rochester Crusaders in 2000's as I played trumpet all the time and then had to switch to a G...boy that stunk! I think the switch was a smart move...as there became less drum corps the need for G horns was less. Since there would always be bands and marching bands, the switch made perfect sense in every aspect.

I don't know if drum corps can be "saved" as I think that due to the small amount of corps left, it makes it hard for young people to participate. If there are, say 50 corps left (just a #)and you can have, lets say 150 in each corp, that allows 7500 kids to participate. What about all the other band kids in the country? So there were 35 corps in prelims this past year and lets say the average corps has 120 members (obviously this is just a number I am throwing out)...that means that roughly 4200 kids participated in DCI prelims. Compare that to numbers in, say, 1976.

Unless DCI has a great master plan to help develop future corps leaders/management I think we will continue to see drum corps fade away. I hate to say that but "the times they are-a changin'"

*respectfully snipped* I was at a show, I believe it was in Rockford, when the Phantom staff came in and handed us judges a booklet to explain what they were doing so we could understand it.....

Still have one of them there libretto thingies from Spartacus the First...