Malaga vs Malaguena

I'd rather hear Malaguena or West Side Story any day than a lot of the crap some corps seem to drag out from under a rock year after year thinking it's "art".

I completely agree. That's why I voted you up from -1.

You forgot the Cadets in 2003.

Sorry, so much for my copy and paste skills. No wonder I flunked Kindergarten. :sleeping:

Ozark would have forgotten the Cadets had s/he been talking about Malaguena, but s/he was listing who had played Malaga.

I'd rather hear Malaguena or West Side Story any day than a lot of the crap some corps seem to drag out from under a rock year after year thinking it's "art".

I'll agree with your general point with this proviso: I'd rather hear the 'proven' pieces only if the current design uses a "fresh" approach (musically or visually -- preferably both!)

Perhaps this is why so many people roll their eyes over pieces like Malaguena/Malaga. There's really not much flexibility in how to present them successfully on the field so they quickly become 'stale'. OTOH your other example -- WSS -- lends itself much more readily to "a new spin".

• Like 3

I'll agree with your general point with this proviso: I'd rather hear the 'proven' pieces only if the current design uses a "fresh" approach (musically or visually -- preferably both!)

Perhaps this is why so many people roll their eyes over pieces like Malaguena/Malaga. There's really not much flexibility in how to present them successfully on the field so they quickly become 'stale'. OTOH your other example -- WSS -- lends itself much more readily to "a new spin".

I might disagree with this a bit. If one looks at the visual, as well as the musical arrangements of Melaquena and/ or Malaga from all the Corps that have played "Malaquena" ( Hawthorne Cabs,, Cambridge Cabs, Madison, Boston,The Cadets, Muchachos,, Blast, etc and others )or "Malaga" ( Argonne, Blue Stars,Freelancers, VK, Dutch Boy, Florida Wave, Madison,Hawthorne, etc) it is pretty clear to me that the visuals and the musical arrangements are as varied as can be. But not to quibble the point. Just thought I'd pass that along that the musical arrangements and most especially the visual accompaniments were vastly different and seemed updated and " fresh " at the time among the various Corps that have featured this 2 musical pieces over the years.... at least in my observations anyway. ( and I'm a poster that'd be ok if we gave these 2 particular pieces a rest for awhile now too. )

Edited by BRASSO

I might disagree with this a bit. If one looks at the visual, as well as the musical arrangements of Melaquena and/ or Malaga from all the Corps that have played "Malaquena" ( Hawthorne Cabs,, Cambridge Cabs, Madison, Boston,The Cadets, Muchachos,, Blast, etc and others )or "Malaga" ( Argonne, Blue Stars,Freelancers, VK, Dutch Boy, Florida Wave, Madison,Hawthorne, etc) it is pretty clear to me that the visuals and the musical arrangements are as varied as can be. But not to quibble the point. Just thought I'd pass that along that the musical arrangements and most especially the visual accompaniments were vastly different and seemed updated and " fresh " at the time among the various Corps that have featured this 2 musical pieces over the years.... at least in my observations anyway. ( and I'm a poster that'd be ok if we gave these 2 particular pieces a rest for awhile now too. )

Your list has a lot (mostly) to do with comparing 1960 to 1980 etc...

And I guess our expectations of "fresh" could be quite a bit different. I didn't say the arrangements and visual were identical. The character of piece is so strong that (IMOAL) the Cadets, Boston, Blast, and Madison (all contemporary treatments that each tried to put their own spin on it ) all gave what amounted to YAPOM (yet another performance of m*) . Even Blast -- with all the virtuosity exhibited in that performance -- did a very "standard" presentation (quite intentionally I suspect -- it was one the "drum corps" sections of the show).

Anyway the whole proposition was prefixed by "perhaps" ... I'm not sure it's the whole explanation but it's one that appears to be at least a large part of it. It may also have something to do with the number of times corps have come back to it. Longest m* drought was 6 years.

• Like 2

How about a show with both tunes in it? :peek:

MALAGAGUENA

MALAGAGUENA

I thought Mal Aquena wrote " Malaga "... no ?

The main theme of each consists of the same 4 notes...

Malaga:

E..FD.., FEDE.., GFD..

Malaguena

EFG.., GGGG.FEDEF...

The sax/french horn/mello repetitive running notes/countermelody/lip killers during the big finish in Malaguena are the basis of the melody for Malaga :)