Drum Corps Documenataries

Out of all the drum corps documentaries that you've seen, which one do you like best and why? Does this documentary appeal only to drum corps fans or a wider audience as well?

In 1976, or maybe 1975, Boston’s PBS station WGBH did a documentary on the 27th Lancers. I was in a CYO band at the time and we were told we had to watch it. I can’t recall the specifics of the show, but I do remember watching it and being amazed. I also remember the reaction of other members of the band, particularly the senior band’s color guard captain. At the end of the year banquet, she announced she was no longer marching due to college requirements, and began to cry. She also said she realized how much she loved marching when she saw the show on the 27th Lancers, how they cried at their banquet, and how much spirit they had and hoped our band would have the same love and dedication as the 27th Lancers seemed to have. I know people from other bands, drill teams, and drum corps who said the show had an impact on their unit as well. Instructors would ask “Do you think this is what the 27th Lancers are doing?” anytime anyone slacked off. My guess is that BAC and the newly formed North Star did not find it as impressive, but everyone else did. I’d love to see it again, if it still exists.

Out of all the drum corps documentaries that you've seen, which one do you like best and why? Does this documentary appeal only to drum corps fans or a wider audience as well?

DCI's "Brass Roots," tracing the origins and evolution of the early years of DCI. It's only on VHS...I wish they would bring it back out on DVD.

Also, Larry McCormick's "When Drum Corps Was Drum Corps."

• Like 2

In 1976, or maybe 1975, Bostons PBS station WGBH did a documentary on the 27th Lancers. I was in a CYO band at the time and we were told we had to watch it. I cant recall the specifics of the show, but I do remember watching it and being amazed. I also remember the reaction of other members of the band, particularly the senior bands color guard captain. At the end of the year banquet, she announced she was no longer marching due to college requirements, and began to cry. She also said she realized how much she loved marching when she saw the show on the 27th Lancers, how they cried at their banquet, and how much spirit they had and hoped our band would have the same love and dedication as the 27th Lancers seemed to have. I know people from other bands, drill teams, and drum corps who said the show had an impact on their unit as well. Instructors would ask Do you think this is what the 27th Lancers are doing? anytime anyone slacked off. My guess is that BAC and the newly formed North Star did not find it as impressive, but everyone else did. Id love to see it again, if it still exists.

Local PBS station used to show that before the live DCI broadcast for a few years after it came out. Few years later Joe Morella(sp?) was a drum judge at the 1978 AL when my corps competed. Later my bass drum buddy said "Did you see the celebraty out there?" I asked who and and said Mr "He'll tel you to do a roll.... and then come back in a half hour to tell you to stop" Morella.

"roll" line is from the documentary and forget if it was half hour... but you get the idea... Hell I remembered it from before...

Edit: Over this past Holiday I was cranking the 1975 Legacy DVD I bought to check the sound with our off-brand DVD player. Played 27th for a few minutes until my wife came over and told me to restart it. Halfway thru I remembered the show was the end of that doc. :worthy:

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Over here back in the 80s there was a six part documentary called "Bands of Gold" that followed all the corps through the season. Each episode broadcast highlights of one or perhaps two shows with finals having it's own extended episode.

I think every corps gets at least one slot which was accompanied by a short intro/background piece about the corps.

The 2008 Troopers independent documentary was real cool, I cant wait for the much anticipated 2012 Madison Scouts documentary being made this summer as well.

DCI's "Brass Roots," tracing the origins and evolution of the early years of DCI. It's only on VHS...I wish they would bring it back out on DVD.

That would be awesome. I'd settle with DCI putting it up on the Fan Network as en exclusive, or something. I think that was by far the best doc on drum corps that's I've ever saw

That would be awesome. I'd settle with DCI putting it up on the Fan Network as en exclusive, or something. I think that was by far the best doc on drum corps that's I've ever saw

Thanks for the idea. I'll suggest that in person to some people I'll be meeting at the DCI Annual Meeting in two weekends.

• Like 1