Drum Corps Documenataries

The 2008 Troopers independent documentary was real cool, I cant wait for the much anticipated 2012 Madison Scouts documentary being made this summer as well.

Well, I'm one of the guys behind the documentary on the Madison Scouts. We are in the early stages of production. I went on the road this past summer for 8 days with the Scouts to shoot test footage. We've been raising money online through the site IndieGoGo and would love some help spreading the word.

I marched with the Scouts in '95 and have been working in the film industry for the past 11 years. Our goal is to make "Scouts Honor: Inside a Marching Brotherhood" unique. We want to examine what makes such a strong brotherhood within the Madison Scouts by following a few members throughout the season, talking about the history of the corps, and also interviewing alumni. While the Scouts organization has been very supportive of our film, they are not financing it. It's a completely independent project.

Please visit our campaign to learn more about it: Scouts Honor IndieGoGo Campaign

We have a number of videos linked under the "GALLERY" tab on there.

Also Chris Komnick has posted the one show that we shot during the 2011 season in a small stadium in Summerville, SC: 2011 Madison Scouts - Summerville, SC This was the first and only show where we got to do both video and sound (we did full 5.1 sound which you don't get to hear on Vimeo unfortunately). Not too bad for the first time.

You can also follow me on Twitter (@ScoutsHonorDoc) Thanks for taking a look, and please help us get the word out!

• Like 3

DCI's "Brass Roots," tracing the origins and evolution of the early years of DCI. It's only on VHS...I wish they would bring it back out on DVD.

Brass Roots, which I think was issued to commemorate DCI's 25th anniversary, was very helpful to an unschooled fan like me not only for the roundtable discussions and many clips, but also because it concluded with a long montage of a minute or three from every championship show 1972-1996 -- something otherwise unavailable except at great cost before the advent of the Fan Network. Still, I wished the whole video was far longer!

My favorite would have to be "One Night in August," the documentary produced by WXIA-TV in Atlanta in 1979, and not just because I'm in it. Most people on here have never seen it, but it just does a really good job of showing what drum corps is all about. I'm quite sure it's on that website that we aren't supposed to mention on here. Give it a look.

Second on my list would be "The Troopers Are Coming," narrated by Walter Brennan, because it's just a really cool old video.

My favorite would have to be One Night in August, the documentary produced by WXIA-TV in Atlanta in 1979, and not just because I'm in it. Most people on here have never seen it, but it just does a really good job of showing what drum corps is all about.

Thanks for pointing us to that one; it was fun to watch. Some different camera angles than those on the Fan Network, I think. It's amusing that they mention Spirit's hope of achieving 3rd place a few times, but never tell you how well they finished in the end (4th).

Thanks for pointing us to that one; it was fun to watch. Some different camera angles than those on the Fan Network, I think. It's amusing that they mention Spirit's hope of achieving 3rd place a few times, but never tell you how well they finished in the end (4th).

You know, as many times as I've watched that video over the years, I never noticed that they didn't say where we finished. The video was produced by the TV station that was sponsoring Spirit of Atlanta at the time and it aired in Atlanta the following summer, just before Spirit's home show at Georgia Tech's Grant Field.

If you look really close during the end credits, you will notice that as Spirit was marching back into the stadium for retreat, Sammy McDaniel, who played the big bass drum, is wearing Crossmen timpanist Bob Morrison's hat instead of his Spirit shako. That summer was when the bond between Spirit and Crossmen began, and when Crossmen didn't make finals, that was one of our ways of showing that bond -- which I'm glad to say is a bond that still exists today.

Edited by oldsoprano

"The Troopers are Comming":

"In name and appearance".... At least thats what the late Walter Brennan said about the corps "Way Back When" in 1969 and 1970 when the TV special was made. I believe the late Don Whitely whos was at that time a promotions director at a Denver TV station had a lot to do with the programs production.

Originnaly an hour long it was later shortened to a half hour segemnt. The show was aired several times in the Rocky Mountain West, mainly in conjuction with the revival of the "Drums Along the Rockies" series in Casper, Cheyenne and Denver CO.

I believe Santa Clara Vanguard and the Chicago Cavaliers also had TV documentaries around this time. The very old Guelph Royal Aires from Toronto Canada were a major part of a 1961 Canadian show about their hometown, and featured as an "American Styled Senior Drum & Bugle Corps".

Elphaba

"Competitive Drum Corps". Filmed in '73 featuring SCV. it is an inside view of Drum Corps showing what DC is all about. The travel, rehearsals and competition. Great intro from Stan Kenton. Great insights from Gail. It's the ONLY film of any Corps from '73. It includs Anaheim Kingsmen, Troopers, Blue Stars, Kilties, and Madison Scouts. Unfortunately, it shows only "clips" of everyones show. One of my all time favorite besides "Brass Roots".

Well, I'm one of the guys behind the documentary on the Madison Scouts. We are in the early stages of production. I went on the road this past summer for 8 days with the Scouts to shoot test footage. We've been raising money online through the site IndieGoGo and would love some help spreading the word.

I marched with the Scouts in '95 and have been working in the film industry for the past 11 years. Our goal is to make "Scouts Honor: Inside a Marching Brotherhood" unique. We want to examine what makes such a strong brotherhood within the Madison Scouts by following a few members throughout the season, talking about the history of the corps, and also interviewing alumni. While the Scouts organization has been very supportive of our film, they are not financing it. It's a completely independent project.

Please visit our campaign to learn more about it: Scouts Honor IndieGoGo Campaign

We have a number of videos linked under the "GALLERY" tab on there.

Also Chris Komnick has posted the one show that we shot during the 2011 season in a small stadium in Summerville, SC: 2011 Madison Scouts - Summerville, SC This was the first and only show where we got to do both video and sound (we did full 5.1 sound which you don't get to hear on Vimeo unfortunately). Not too bad for the first time.

You can also follow me on Twitter (@ScoutsHonorDoc) Thanks for taking a look, and please help us get the word out!

Yeah this is great the word is spreading and being a alumni myself I'll definitely be doing my part in the campaign.

• Like 1

"The Troopers are Comming":

"In name and appearance".... At least thats what the late Walter Brennan said about the corps "Way Back When" in 1969 and 1970 when the TV special was made. I believe the late Don Whitely whos was at that time a promotions director at a Denver TV station had a lot to do with the programs production.

Originnaly an hour long it was later shortened to a half hour segemnt. The show was aired several times in the Rocky Mountain West, mainly in conjuction with the revival of the "Drums Along the Rockies" series in Casper, Cheyenne and Denver CO.

I believe Santa Clara Vanguard and the Chicago Cavaliers also had TV documentaries around this time. The very old Guelph Royal Aires from Toronto Canada were a major part of a 1961 Canadian show about their hometown, and featured as an "American Styled Senior Drum & Bugle Corps".

Elphaba

Don Whitely worked for KBTV which is now KUSA in Denver. At the end of this show, there is a performance of the Troopers at a Denver Bronco game in 1970 which I believe was against the New York Jets the year after they won the Super Bowl.. A couple of thoughts on this. If you look at the crowd, 90% of them stayed in their seats during the Trooper performance and as they ended their show towards the south end zone, you can the crowd giving them a standing ovation before the end of their show. Very chilling to see a non drum corps crowd give this type of respect to a drum corps. But then again the Bronco fans have always been big fans of the Troopers.

Edited by bstar82

Our IndieGoGo campaign for the Madison Scouts documentary ends on this Sunday night, January 22nd. Please consider a contribution and spread the word. This film has the potential of benefiting the entire drum corps activity. SCOUTS HONOR IndieGoGo Campaign Page Thank you so much!