SCV moves to Dynasty

Not sure what I think about the idea of THIS hornline being on Dynastys. SCV has gone for a very controlled sound in the last few years (which can be just as appreciated as an in your face approach) but Dynasty horns do tend to project less than other horns and may require a philosophy change in projection. :unsure:

Edited by stevedb1975

Not sure what I think about the idea of THIS hornline being on Dynastys. SCV has gone for a very controlled sound in the last few years (which can be just as appreciated as an in your face approach) but Dynasty horns do tend to project less than other horns and may require a philosophy change in projection. :unsure:

The hornline will still be playing Yamaha - per SCV's Facebook.

• Like 2

I'm not being a smart alec, but I'm sure they changed their philosophy when they changed the staff.

The hornline will still be playing Yamaha - per SCV's Facebook.

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank God. I had just found Fiedler on speed dial and was going to ask him if the head injury was recent.

Edited by tigger2
  • Like 3

Well it is odd for SCV and BD to be using the same company. It only happened once before in 75 with BD using Slingerland or was that 74 and 75 I forget. I was kind of hoping SCV would switch to Tama but it does make sense that Renick has such pull with Dynasty.

BD switched to Pearl last year.

Man, people get fired up about some equipment. The fact is, good players make equipment sound good. Bad players make equipment sound bad. 90% of the sound that comes out of a drum comes from tuning and approach.

Look at the Blue Devils in the Dynasty years. I know plenty of people who loved that sound, and plenty who didn't like it at all, but there is no denying that their approach to tuning and playing was very different from that of any other groups out there. On the other hand, if you listen to them last year playing Pearls, the sound was not that different. Another example, look at the Cavaliers in the early 2000s. Then look at them in the few years that Casella and company took over. Then look at them again when Mac returned. 3 very different approaches, 3 very different sounds, one product.

None of this equipment is crap, or the company wouldn't have a place in the industry. There is certainly an element of personal preference involved, but to say that because a group switched its a move to "lesser equipment" is kind of over the top. I've worked extensively with Pearl, Dynasty and Mapex/Majestic, and can say from my experience that they all had their strong points and weak points. However, I wouldn't consider any of them "lesser companies" in comparison to the others.

Not everyone is going to like every sound that comes out of every drum. That doesn't mean that the equipment is faulty.

• Like 6

For everyone who trashes Dynasty's percussion equipment, Paul Rennick and Phantom Regiment's drum trophy in 2010 says otherwise.

As well as BD's percussion wins on Dynasty in 2007 and 2009.

When you look at what Paul Rennick did with PR & Dynasty it makes sense.

Fullfil a contractual obligation: that's exactly what Paul Rennick did with PR & Dynasty. IMO the sound quality in Phantom their last year of Pearl vs their first year of Dynasty was an obvious drop (I saw them in the lot, up close, both 2007 & 2008). By that I know it has zero to do with musicianship of the players or the quality of the books: PR was unquestionably incredible on both sides of the sheets in 07 & 08. But the sounds of the snares was noticeably deader: IMO Dynasty snares specifically, and drums in general, don't project nearly as well as Pearl. They were tuned OK, and I do think Phantom/Rennick tuned those drums as good as they can possibly get. But Dynasty's sound quality A/B'd with Pearl (or Yamaha, for that matter) is diminished sound quality wise.

• Like 2