The official "love on Blue Devils 1988" thread.

One of my all time favorites and I'm watching it on DVD right now. I thought "why not start a thread on this great drum corps"?

Whether you marched this drum corps, saw it live or have only seen or heard recordings, share stories on how this great classic show impressed you.

One story I can share is that I watched a rehearsal in the middle of the summer of 88 and they did a music only runthrough with the hornline all the way at the edge of the track. I remember the hornline being so loud it literally HURT! Some irony however, I also love 1988 Madison (which I'm sure they hate...LOL).

Show some 88 BD love!

Edited by bmjfelts1988
  • Like 2

Yes, yes, yes! I absolutely LOVED their '88 show. Saw it many times while traveling back to Finals (planned road trip around several shows). I knew it could be a winner. One of the best that year. But, it wasn't ment to be. It reminded me of SCV in '72. We had a winning show, we knew in our hearts we did. But "something" was missing at finals. We were clean and all, but the 'umph', that was there throughout the season somehow slipped away. I feel the same about BDs '88 show. When I watched it, the "something" that I had felt at other performances, just...wasn't...there. My heart goes out to those who marched it that year. I know how you feel... Just remember though, it WAS an awesome show, and that can NEVER change.

Big diff in 88 that affected BD was the "one and done" change in the prelims order. The top 5 made television, and picked their appearance order out of a hat without knowing their actual prelim score. It was never done before, and never done since...... :doh:

I think, if BD had known they had lost to Madison in prelims, they would have attacked their finals performance would more of everything......that being said.....I had seen them several times during the season - from east coast to their home show. One of the greatest performing corps in all respects. :worthy:

Arguably a visual concern might have been looking at the "non" blue uniforms - but that guard was superb !!!

Big diff in 88 that affected BD was the "one and done" change in the prelims order. The top 5 made television, and picked their appearance order out of a hat without knowing their actual prelim score. It was never done before, and never done since...... :doh:

I think, if BD had known they had lost to Madison in prelims, they would have attacked their finals performance would more of everything......that being said.....I had seen them several times during the season - from east coast to their home show. One of the greatest performing corps in all respects. :worthy:

Arguably a visual concern might have been looking at the "non" blue uniforms - but that guard was superb !!!

I actually really liked the Black and Grey uniforms and wished that they could have found a way to use that look a little longer (specifically with gray pants and not the 89 black). If they just could have found a way to get SOME blue on them (perhaps some blue trim or something) would have been awesome. I thought it was a great look. Very classy and sort of "buisness" looking.

Edited by bmjfelts1988

I loved the grey and black look as well. Also thought they should have won. The brass book was SOOOO exposed.

Edited by DPEmerald

Loved their look that year - like '89, the black jackets and light guard made the whole thing into a jazz dinner party-type affair, and that was neat, especially under stadium lights.

I admit, I'm a huge sucker for the opener and closer (the soft opener was definitely something fairly unique, even at the time). I do like the interior of the show, but not as much as the bookends. Since I Fell For You is to this day in my permanent iPod rotation.

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The guy I introduced to DC in '84 aged out in the euph section in '88 after joining BD in May of '87 when a spot opened up. Part of me still wishes he'd marched '87 SCV from a "Circle of Life" perspective (he'd auditioned and made it, but BD was more flexible on the tour fee) but watching him from the stands in KC in '88 still made me proud! :worthy: I would liked to have seen an overall tie that year for sure, but they still took home the Ott Trophy. :thumbup:

Edited by TRacer

The guy I introduced to DC in '84 aged out in the euph section in '88 after joining BD in May of '87 when a spot opened up. Part of me still wishes he'd marched '87 SCV from a "Circle of Life" perspective (he'd auditioned and made it, but BD was more flexible on the tour fee) but watching him from the stands in KC in '88 still made me proud! :worthy: I would liked to have seen an overall tie that year for sure, but they still took home the Ott Trophy. :thumbup:

LOL! Yeah, that was a year I would have tolerated a tie.