The official "love on Blue Devils 1988" thread.

My absolute favorite BD show of all time. Still think they should have won.

I concur. The next day my wife and I flew back to Boston, via O'Hare. There were quite a few members of the Scouts on the plane with us. Naturally they were still "over the moon.".

But the thing I was most struck by, the thing they kept returning to again and again in their happy, bubbling recounting of the previous evening, was how absolutely astonished they were that they had won. Even the next day they still couldn't quite believe it.

I had figured them for third behind BD and SCV. Even today I think that finish would have been proper. And I mean no offense to the superlative performance that Madison put on. They were wonderful. However, BD and SCV absolutely took my breath away.

Edited by reallyoldfrt
  • Like 1

This show had everything that a good drum corps show should have. Exquisite brass arrangement, tight percussion, and a clean visual program - I mean, to end the show in an old-school French curve form was quite an elegant touch. One of my all-time favorites which I just listened to today, now that you mention it.

• Like 1

The 1988 Blue Devils' show is perhaps one of the most timeless masterpieces I've witnessed on the field. It defies carbon dating.

• Like 2

Best hornline in DCI history.

• Like 2

I saw the show for the first time that summer at Whitewater prelims.

UN-FREAKIN-BELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!! :worthy: :worthy:

One of the cleanest hornlines ever, for sure!

'88 BD was remarkable in many ways. One of them was the seeming rebirth of the organization on the field after '87. Their whole style was cleaned up. That's the way it looked to me, anyway.

I got to see their victory performance after the second Drum Beauty show (the one in the big stadium) that summer. I basically ran across the lot from our buses to get there in time. It was truly incredible, I had never stood in front of a horn line that tight. It actually frustrated me because we were still trying to get all 6 guys in my section to play the entire show at that point, we'd lost to Marauders that night, and BD was just rocking everything like it was easy.

• Like 1

Incredible corps. Amazing hornline, cleanest snareline maybe ever, drumline over all was awesome, guard was elegant and fit the show perfectly, that corps had the total package going on. Someone said masterpiece. I concur. :)

• Like 1