Most Under Rated Shows Of All Time...

85 Phantom

87 Phantom, BD

91 BD

94 Phantom, SCV

95 SCV, Phantom

96 Cadets, Crown, Magic

97 Cadets (no one seems to talk about it, as far as I can hear, sounds like a horn book with Star-like difficulty), Phantom

98 Cavies

99 Madison, BK, Cadets, Magic, Spirit, Glassmen, Phantom :rolleyes: , Crown, Colts (underrated YEAR, overall)

2000 Phantom, Southwind (deserved 12th), Crown

01 Cadets (deserved 1st, IMO)

02 Magic, Colts

03 Magic (yes, I know I pick them almost every year), Madison (placement wise)

Edited by GoPhantom

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

91 Blue Devils

Every aspect of it stunning.

Cannot understand their placing to this day.

It's called "drum line"

Also, guard didn't contribute much to enhance their total GE.......

.........but you gotta love it, awesome brass, and best OTL ever !!

~G~

98 xmen - though i think i like the show more than others because of its music and not its execution

92 SCV - sure, it was dirty in some spots. but heck, the way they entered the stadium and the music they played, not to mention the bottle dance, were good enough for top 6 IMO ;)

For me, a few stand out for different reasons.

1. BD 1982 - exceptional horn line and great charts that would be fun to hear any year. The show won the title so it is not under rated from that perspective, but in terms of popularity, very ffew mention the power of this musical presentation.

2. Suncoast Sound 1989 - Florida Suite, some of the most unique music and show ideas I have seen. Very fresh.

3. 1980 27th Lancers - Very competitive show that almost won a DCI title (and maybe should have won with all respect to BD fans), but this show is under rated for what it brought to the activity in terms of visual content (guard and drill). Although SCV was the first to do asymetrical drill (also in 1980), and Garfield would eventually revolutionize the marching style and concept of flow with asymetry, I believe the 1980 27th Lancers were the corps to bring all drum corps into the new era of show design (Zingali was a genius).

4. 1981 SCV - Once again, here is a show that certainnly earned respect as a champion. But few talk about this show for what I feel are its real contributions to the activity. Listen to the symphonic sound achieved by the Vanguard. Prior to that, and I had attended corps shows for several years before hand, you simply did not hear horn lines play that refined and in tune. Yes, Phantom and SCV and BD and Madison were all amazing in the 70s, but the 1981 Vanguard ushered in a new era of symphonic control, elegant phrase shaping, a stronger emphasis on balance and blend, and the demand of the horn book was taken just a notch higher. JMHO.

My vote would have to go to 1985 Phantom Regiment. That is still my favorite Phantom show and what they did from the beginning of the season to the end is utterly amazing! It was a brilliant performance, a brilliant concept, and a brilliant design.

Bring it back Phantom!

Most underrated shows in my opinion:

1985 Madison - loved the guard

1989 Phantom - incredible horn line

1984 BD - simply "WOW"

1983 Knights - should have made finals

1985 Knights - Jesus Christ Superstar - awesome show from a smaller corps. It's amazing how a smaller corps can crank out a full hornline sound! Of course, I'm biased because I marched that show...

1988 Cavaliers - Firebird Suite, young corps - we worked our butts off to make it up to 5th place.

I wouldn't say that PR '89 was underrated...the best corps to not win DCI to that point with a 98.4, and one which many believed to be the real winner that night (That's an issue for another thread!).

I don't think '88 Cavies was really underrated either, you guys seriously overhauled that show, especially after DCM, it was just a highly tough group up at the top that year, and I have no doubt Don Pesceone had you in mind as one of the "6,7, or 8 corps...that could win it". It does tend to get overlooked, though, in the continuing debate about the Top 3 and who "should have won" that year. I loved your show all year long, and the later version of "Firebird" Cavies did later in the 90's really sucked compared to it. (This is the only time you will ever hear me say such a thing.)

I thing Bluecoats '88 was underrated - flawless Jazz, awesome soloists, I still whistle their Latin version of "Take Five"- really a quantum leap from '87.

Sky Ryders '89 was also underrated, since the dark symphonic literature was so radically different from the broadway musicals and more lighthearted fare they were known for.

I wish Star would come back too, but I don't think it will ever happen. It would be hella tough to come back with the expectation of just picking up where we left off................

Most of the activity still hasn't caught up to Star 93.

Garfield 1989 gets a nod from me.