D&BC on America's Got Talent(?)

(This could be interesting. The "?" in the topic is for a "will this really happen?)

The Edge” to audition for America’s Got Talent!

Bringing the drum corps activity to national television

Rochester, NY (January 19, 2012): David Bruni announced today that after submitting a video clip of “The Edge” in performance to America’s Got Talent, he received an e-mail requesting the group to audition for the nationally televised program.

America’s Got Talent is an American reality television series on the NBC television network. The talent show features dancers, comedians, singers and other performers of all ages. The show gives opportunities for amateur performers to be recognized by an audience vote in the final round. Prior to that, contestants need to pass through a celebrity judging panel. This year, the panel includes well known stars: Sharon Osbourne, Howie Mandel, and Howard Stern. The show is hosted by Nick Cannon.

Born out of an American art form, Drum and Bugle Corps, "The Edge" is a stage show comprised of blazing brass, incredible percussion and powerful contemporary visuals! The show is designed to entertain every fan of passionate performances. All elements of Intensity and precision are part of the cutting Edge performance that you will witness.

Through their combine efforts with the Empire Statesmen Drum and Bugle Corps from Rochester, NY "The Edge" has assembled a national cast comprised of some of the finest entertainers in our field today.

Under the direction of Creative Director David Bruni, Musical Director Joey Pero, Colorguard Director Matt Winans and Percussion Director Joe Guadagnino ”Edge” will take you beyond the stage. Viewers will witness the stunning visuals and music that test the very boundaries of the stage itself.

“The Edge" is setting out to capture America's hearts as told through the music of approximately thirty-five of the world’s premier performers Join us on the first leg of our modern yet nostalgic journey to stardom!

We'll see you all on..."The Edge"!

The Details:

2/3 “The Edge” departs Rochester, NY.

2/4 “The Edge” arrives and sets up to give two performances prior to the show. One of these performances will be with Nick Cannon, the host. This will be a taped performance in which clips will be used to promote the new America’s Got talent season.

“The Edge” has an audition time slot of 10am with two minutes to “wow” the judges in the initial round.

Should the initial judging panel approve, “The Edge” will move on to the final rounds in

July. The live television show will take place in New York City!

As the audience to many drum corps shows have decreased, Bruni believes that taking this group to a nationally televised show will create banter among those who do not know what drum corps is. The millions of viewers (2011 season average 11.82 million and finals of 14.37 million) will make a significant impact on the visibility of the drum corps activity. ”This is an epic opportunity to bring drum corps to millions of people in one shot!” states Bruni.

The group sends special thanks to the Carolina Crown Drum & Bugle Corps for their assistance in this project.

For further information on this venture, please contact David Hobart on (917) 528-9340 or e-mail dhobart1@gmail.com. You may also reach out to David Bruni on his e-mail dbruni1@rochester.rr.com.

“The Edge” is a program of the Empire Statesmen Drum & Bugle Corps. Founded by Vincent Bruni in 1983. If you would like to make a tax deductible contribution to assist the Empire Statesmen in getting “The Edge” on the road to North Carolina, please contact

http://www.bfdtv.com/?p=482

Members come from the following Corps:

Empire Statesmen

Santa Clara Vanguard

Cadets of Greece

Genesee Quest Drum and Bugle Corps

St. Joe's

The Rochester Crusaders

The Crossmen

Ghost Riders

Spirit of Atlanta

Sun Coast Sound

The Blue Devils

The Cavaliers

Carolina Crown

The Boston Crusaders

Rochester Patriots

The Bluecoats

The Cadets

The Brigadiers

Madison Scouts

Phantom Regiment

Southwind

Reading Buccaneers

Prime Time Brass

Power Zone

Ghost of Power Zone

White Sabers

San Francisco Renegades

The Colts

Thunderbirds

WNY Alumni

Kingston Grenadiers

3rd Regiment

L'Insolite

The Bushwackers

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

Other than DCI, there's nothing else available. It's better than nothing and maybe out of the millions who watch, it may help get D&BC some needed exposure. Lack of exposure to the masses has been discussed many times before on this forum.

• Like 2

Not exactly sure if THIS is what I'd want showcasing "this is drum corps" :-(

...it looks like Blast! on a Wal-Mart budget. LOL!

It'll be fine, but they'll need music the audience can understand and get into....this is NOT the place to be busting out "Medea." Now if they did the Blast! version of "Malaguena" and did it well...it....would...rock!

Not exactly sure if THIS is what I'd want showcasing "this is drum corps" :-(

...it looks like Blast! on a Wal-Mart budget. LOL!

I think that they should make it past their first audition. My wife & I have been watching the show since the first season, and to actually succeed, each week the individual performaces must improve (just like in the Drum Corps world). If this group plays their cards right, I think that they might go a long way, which would be fantastic for the activity. I've been telling my wife since the first season of the show, that something like Blast would do fairly well on America's Got Talent. I can't wait to see how they do!

• Like 1

Their show was performed for about 4000 people at I&E last year and was wildly successful...provoking a spontaneous encore, which nearly everyone stayed for. I'm not sure how it's going to do with the show, but to me, it seems like the right blend of 'typical american entertainment' with typical 'drum corps stuff'. I sure dont see any other groups doing anything to get drum corps on display for a prime time TV audience...

• Like 5

I wasn't entertained by one thing on the video. But maybe American's audience will eat it up! We have nothing to lose...well, except credibility on Excellence.

My guess, if it works, people will like it for what it is. Remember, this stage performing group will not be competing with a DCI field competing Corps. Plus, 99.9% of people in America have no idea what a " DCI Competing Corps and a DCI Corps show competition " is, so this will have no negative influence on that different entity whatsoever it would seem to me. In order to compare something to something else in the public's mind, one first has to have something to compare it with. Thus, should this stage outfit become unsuccessful in their quest to advance on " America's got Talent ", it should have no bearing on the small niche of DCI Competing Drum Corps Field Competition activity. And if it does becomes wildly successful, and seen my millions, it likewise will have virtually no effect on present day DCI competing Corps competition. My guess, the DCI small fan base of national devotees will still remain intact either way, and the DCI shows quality not affected in any way either. The Award winning " Blast " show had no effect on the " the credibility on Excellence " ( whatever that means ) in DCI. This new venture won't either, imo. I see no downside at all to this venture. So to that extent,I hope it becomes a big success for them and wish them much success.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Their show was performed for about 4000 people at I&E last year and was wildly successful...provoking a spontaneous encore, which nearly everyone stayed for. I'm not sure how it's going to do with the show, but to me, it seems like the right blend of 'typical american entertainment' with typical 'drum corps stuff'. I sure dont see any other groups doing anything to get drum corps on display for a prime time TV audience...

remember it was in front of a drum corps audiance....All age especially....even Blast when on Broadway had some not so good reviews some saying it was Loud ,crude, bad HS band although Blast when on the road did well.