D&BC on America's Got Talent(?)

Eww - dont compare us to the Duke Basketball team, whatever you do! Being that close to Durham is bad enough for me :sleeping:

I agree. no need to compare Edge to Puke Basketball.

Signed,

A UNC basketball fan

• Like 1

Will you guyz quit reminding me I have in laws in Wake Forest????

Back On Topic: Let's face it, anyone who never heard of Drum Corps will see Edge as a bunch of bands kids and some probably laid off musicians looking for a way to kill time or make a buck. If the words DC or D&BC are said it wouldn't even be noticed let alone remembered.

And anyone who does know Drum Corps (but not Minis) will be thinking WTF???? :blink::tongue:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Yes. It is troubling to me that this group/presentation might be put forward as representative of the drum corps activity generally when it's not.

Drum corps is an activity that already is a subset of the the broader marching band category (which has it's own troubles). The Edge represents a niche of a niche within a niche.* I asked the question several pages back: How will the Edge be described? As a mini-corps? As a drum corps? Those won't mean anything to the audience. And what about the age issue? I'm okay with all-age corps.

IIRC, when the Edge performed in Rochester, they weren't introduced as a drum corps...I don't remember exactly how they were introduced, but I clearly remember thinking to myself, "What is this?" before they came on. They weren't introduced as a mini-corps either, rather they happened to follow the competing mini-corps and used the same stage for their performance. My thought on this, is that this venue and this time period within the DCA championship weekend was probably deemed most appropriate. It also gave them great exposure, as the mini-corps portion of the weekend attracts a large audience. Personally, I don't understand some of the ill will that this post has created toward this group. They are a group of present and former drum corps members who put together a group and simply played to entertain. Somewhere along the line, it was suggested that they audition for AGT and suddenly they're villains who are trying to smear the good name of drum corps? There are plenty of instances in the past where individuals who were identified with corps, or corps themselves, have done far worse to damage the image of drum corps than a group of people with drum corps backgrounds playing to entertain.

• Like 6

...suddenly they're villains who are trying to smear the good name of drum corps?...

I don't think anyone (certainly not me) has labeled them "villians trying to smear drum corps" or anything like that. We're talking about this group in this situation as if it were an abstraction. It's not personal.

The issue isn't Edge at all. Indeed, most, maybe even all, of us hope they do well. The issue we're discussing is how they will be perceived by the judges and the audience as well as the possible significance of their appearance for our activity. We ought to be able to discuss this interesting topic, shouldn't we?

HH

Edited by glory
  • Like 1

The issue we're discussing is how they will be perceived by the judges and the audience as well as the possible significance of their appearance for our activity. We ought to be able to discuss this interesting topic, shouldn't we?

HH

Yes, and we are discussing this on DCP it looks like to me. When the musical stage production " Future Shock " made up of primarily DCI Drum Corps alums,, DCI staff, was boring, bad, and a total flop with the non Drum Corps audiences, did this negative occurance then effect the " image " of the Blue Devils, or DCI's " excellence " in any manner, shape, or form ? The answer is a categorical " no ". Thats why the fear and concern here with " The Edge " is silly and over the top ridiculous, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

The issue isn't Edge at all. Indeed, most, maybe even all, of us hope they do well. The issue we're discussing is how they will be perceived by the judges and the audience as well as the possible significance of their appearance for our activity. We ought to be able to discuss this interesting topic, shouldn't we?

HH

I really don't see "how they will be perceived" really has any significance to the drum corps activity. If the judges "perceive" them to be talented and entertaining, they'll move to the next stage (forgive me for not knowing, nor really caring, what happens next-I don't watch the show and probably won't unless I know they're going to be on). Ditto for the audience. IF drum corps is mentioned at all, some in the audience may say to themselves, "Wow, drum corps sure has changed since when I was growing up". It wouldn't matter if it were the Edge, Blue Devils, Star United, the Hawthorne Caballeros or Our Lady of the Single Valve Cadets-their perception of drum corps probably goes back to the time of starting lines, timing guns, tics and marching timpani. No matter who is performing the show or the level its being performed at, it's not the way they remembered it. Some will think the change is for the better, some for the worse, some will have no opinion. All will reach for the clicker at the end of the show and most likely not give it another thought unless they are on again. Most others, IF drum corps is mentioned, will watch and either enjoy it-or not-and not give it another thought. Those who truly enjoy it and want to know more, will seek out information from places like the DCI or DCA websites, you tube clips, or grabbing a corps member or staff member at the next parade they're at and asking some questions. Those who watch it and are thinking that the drumline is dragging their sixteenth notes or the third snare missed a flam or whatever, already know what drum corps is. Or perhaps they will just be introduced as "Edge Musical Performance Ensemble" and make this entire thread, plus the one on the DCA forum, totally meaningless.

• Like 1

I really don't see "how they will be perceived" really has any significance to the drum corps activity. If the judges "perceive" them to be talented and entertaining, they'll move to the next stage ...

If there is a problem, maybe it is that you and I agree. We don't think anything of significance to the drum corps community will result from the participation of the Edge on this show. That, however, is not what some folks were saying here, which might explain how this part of the conversation went awry as some of us were discussing that.

To sum up my end of the discussion...

The Edge will be judged for what it does on the stage. No matter how well they do, the chance that the audience connects them to the drum corps activity in any meaningful (and positive) way is extremely slim. This slim chance derives in large part from the fact that the Edge is: adult, not junior; indoor, not outdoor; mini,not ... full/regular/whatever.

HH

• Like 1

Well folks,

We are down to the wire. I want to send a heartfelt thank you to everyone who's shown support for this endeavor. Those kind sentiments are what keeps us burning the midnight oil for the cause! Albeit new and different, our heritage is the Drum Corps. Drum and Bugle Corps is the activity that binds us and we intend on representing our community positively and professionally. We'll certainly keep everyone informed of the goings-on down in Charlotte.

I certainly appreciate the healthy debate here on the DCI forum - thank you for engaging and voicing your thoughts.

Much love and respect,

Joey Pero

Add "The Edge" to your facebook page

• Like 6

David Bruni and Joey Pero are NOT just putting a bunch of middle age men on stage. I am 15 and there is another girl who is only a couple years older than I am. We also have several guys from DCI who have only just aged out after being leads. They have hand picked everyone in the group, so if they picked someone who is middle aged, they had very good reason to.

And might I add.... a talented kid!! I know you guys will put out a quality product... Ignore the Nay sayers, they have no vision. This is a GREAT way to get Drum Corps (in any form) out to the public. Millions of viewers, what a great idea.

• Like 1