• 2002 - Cadets
    • 2003 - Cadets
    • 2004 - Santa Clara Vanguard
    • 2005 - Cadets
    • 2006 - Phantom Regiment
    • 2007 - Blue Devils
    • 2008 - Phantom Regiment
    • 2009 - Blue Devils

BD 07 was FILTHY. I can't even believe they won drums that year, let alone the fact that people think they were the best of the decade. Ridiculous. Yes, their front ensemble was awesome that year, but so were many other groups with way cleaner drumlines.

• Like 2

We're splitting hairs at this point, as each of these lines was recognized as the best of DCI that year. But what the SCV lines from Gusseck/Casella brought, I felt, was their unmatched integration into the horn and musical book. It's very easy to listen to the drumline play through Scheherezade and pick out the brass phrasings simply from the battery book.

That's not to say that other lines can't or didn't do it, but SCV in those years very much took it above and beyond their peers.

Mike

Yep. I agree completely. All of Casella's SCV books had amazing musicality and effect in terms of complimenting the hornline, as well as KILLER percussion features. Btw, not sure why you wrote "Gusseck/Casella" as Casella was sole designer all the years they worked together. (and caption mgr. all years except '04.) Nothing against Murray. Just assigning proper credit.

I lean towards 08 Regiment, mainly be cause they played so well while suppressing a slave rebellion. ;)

• Like 1

Sorry - wrote both as I couldn't remember who was which each year, and when the switch happened.

Mike

Thanks!

Yep. I agree completely. All of Casella's SCV books had amazing musicality and effect in terms of complimenting the hornline, as well as KILLER percussion features. Btw, not sure why you wrote "Gusseck/Casella" as Casella was sole designer all the years they worked together. (and caption mgr. all years except '04.) Nothing against Murray. Just assigning proper credit.

Murray was caption manager in 2003 as well, and both Casella and he were effectively co-caption heads from 96-99, 02-04. (Murray wasn't around in 2000 or 2001, though Casella was.) Casella wrote those books, but Murray was instrumental in really bringing them to life. A team many would like to see work together again someday.

• Like 1