partial list of DCI Casualties

Did you know the people who REALLY care about drum corps still have drum corps? Only the strong survive; the weak didn't care hard enough. And that's fine. Not everyone can be a GH. I'm not being sarcastic.

• Like 1

Did you know the people who REALLY care about drum corps still have drum corps? Only the strong survive; the weak didn't care hard enough. And that's fine. Not everyone can be a GH. I'm not being sarcastic.

gee maybe if I knew what you were talking about,, this would bother me,,,then again,,,nope :tongue:

Mike tell me how do kids join these bands if they want to play but the schools that they go to do not offer the competitive band experience, or in my son's case no band at all now that the schools have deemed fit to cut the program?

If my town was looking to cut the band program, I'd be up in arms and getting together with other parents to make my POV known at the local Board of Ed meetings.

As for non-competitive bands, the numbers I see are around 4,000 that compete. Yes, if you are not in one of those districts you do not have the competition experience. The same applied in the day if you did not live local enough to a corps, esp a non-touring small corps. The difference is that while the numbers I have seen are 440 competitive corps just prior to DCI, there are close to 10 times that with the competitive bands today.

And...if you want to compete and are not in a competitive band, there are corps out there you can join, at differing levels of committment, be it World class DCI, Open class DCI, or All age DCA.

Edited by MikeD

Yeah,,,we did the "Up and arms" thing. LOL, but the final result was the same.

When I was in, back in the early 60's and 70s i did travel, up to 60 miles one way, but that was because my town had lost most of their competitive corps and I still had marching to do. Still, there were many corps in the area and all of them would make room. Bands don't have that flexability do they? If you don't belong to their districts, your just as much out of luck, right?

I have mentioned DCA to him at this point where we are located there are no competitive JR. WC or OC.

I realize there are MANY bands, but unless you attend those schools, they are just as exclusive as WC I would say.

Thanks Mike

Edited by BariBrian

Yeah,,,we did the "Up and arms" thing. LOL, but the final result was the same.

When I was in, back in the early 60's and 70s i did travel, up to 60 miles one way, but that was because my town had lost most of their competitive corps and I still had marching to do. Still, there were many corps in the area and all of them would make room. Bands don't have that flexability do they? If you don't belong to their districts, your just as much out of luck, right?

I have mentioned DCA to him at this point where we are located there are no competitive JR. WC or OC.

I realize there are MANY bands, but unless you attend those schools, they are just as exclusive as WC I would say.

Thanks Mike

You are right in a position like yours. When we talk about the overall numbers of kids, as opposed to one or more specfic kids is where the numbers from 'then' and 'now' are just so radically different...the 4000 to 440 competitive groups thing. I drove close to 100 miles each way to march with Garfield after my folks moved to the Jersey shore. OTOH...the members in the GSC corps in my original home town all came from the town or a town less than 10 miles drive. Lots of kids had little or no access to even small corps, given that there were only 440 corps at EVERY competitive level nationwide. I'm sure there are stories like yours of kids who might want to have joined a corps but could not, as there were none close enough for their parents to drive them to. You can always find specfic cases to fit any scenario you want.

But my point is you could just JOIN a drum corps back then (for the most part) but you can't just JOIN a band of today, right? it doesn't matter how many of them there are, you still need to be in that school or district.

I'll admit, not every school will be cutting their band programs, but given the economy, their will be more and more still that may consider it. Still even at 4000, they are an exclusive club that you can only be in if you belong there.

So the kids that could march and want to march have to take their chances with what drum corps are left and openings are rare, even at OC

But my point is you could just JOIN a drum corps back then (for the most part) but you can't just JOIN a band of today, right? it doesn't matter how many of them there are, you still need to be in that school or district.

I'll admit, not every school will be cutting their band programs, but given the economy, their will be more and more still that may consider it. Still even at 4000, they are an exclusive club that you can only be in if you belong there.

So the kids that could march and want to march have to take their chances with what drum corps are left and openings are rare, even at OC

1) Who wants to march who ISN'T in a marching band first? I bet there's an average of 1 per corps.

2) OC must be doing REALLY well since they're all marching full corps!

1) Who wants to march who ISN'T in a marching band first? I bet there's an average of 1 per corps.

2) OC must be doing REALLY well since they're all marching full corps!

Tell me, do you actually ever have anything constructive to say, or do you just enjoy taking Jabs at people, because I honestly don't see your point. Your opinion realy doesn't carry any weight with me, because

A: You show no respect and

B: you make very little sense to whats being talked about. You just keep trying to drive some tired point home. I Get it, ok! You DON'T LIKE DRUM CORP from my days and we should all just dry up and blow away, so please go to the current DCI discusions and impress them with your knowledge. I could care less.

• Like 3

Tell me, do you actually ever have anything constructive to say, or do you just enjoy taking Jabs at people, because I honestly don't see your point. Your opinion realy doesn't carry any weight with me, because

A: You show no respect and

B: you make very little sense to whats being talked about. You just keep trying to drive some tired point home. I Get it, ok! You DON'T LIKE DRUM CORP from my days and we should all just dry up and blow away, so please go to the current DCI discusions and impress them with your knowledge. I could care less.

Brian, I'm sure you've noticed that, in his profile, he lists a couple of corps he likes. He also scrupulously avoids any mention of ever having actually been in a corps. We know he can execute a left face while rolling a rifle around his shoulders. Or, that could just be computer graphics

When I first joined, I had pointed out to me a notice Chief had pasted on the wall of the Uniform Room(his Office) in the basement of the old American Legion Hall(our practice hall through 1965). On it were HIS expectations of each Cadet's responsibilities ........... there were quite a few more than WORK ETHIC, HONESTY, LOYALTY...etc (wish I could remember the whole thing or still had my copy)

KNEW what wheels to grease and when to call in favors.

The others were " when in a rumble with St. Lucy's, you must remember to keep your arms and hands up and close to the face, and not down low "..... " move the head left and right, and keep the feet moving from left to right and by all means keep a good balance, and watch from behind any possible oncomers to the fray "..... " stay together. There is strength in numbers ".

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1