More Realistic List

Stu

By looking through the list of all junior corps which have posted scores in DCI since 1972 (on Corpsreps.com) there are at least 271 corps which are no longer competing in DCI. (I spent the afternoon counting them thus have a headache now) :sad:

By looking through the list of all junior corps which have posted scores in DCI since 1972 (on Corpsreps.com) there are at least 271 corps which are no longer competing in DCI. (I spent the afternoon counting them thus have a headache now) :sad:

There are loads of factors for changes in numbers of corps in the present day compared to the 60's, 70's...

Birth rate is a considerable factor. The post war baby boom meant a surge of kids for a number of years, then the birth rate quickly dropped to levels far below pre-war levels. Take the birth rate and the window of +14-21 years forward and you see a clear surge and rapid decline in numbers.

640px-U.S.BirthRate.1909.2003.png

Drum corps was highly-concentrated in the Northeast. Combine the figures of a declining birthrate with the number of people from the Northeast migrating to other parts of the country during the same period and you have another contributing factor. In the midwest and west, you have a considerably lower number of organizations per capita that had traditionally sponsored drum corps, namely VFW posts and the Catholic church.

Another set of statistic that are pretty much self-explanatory:

TV-VCR-Remote-Cable_Ownership.JPG

Increasing number of TV's, VCR's and cable television subscriptions per household meant that kids had something to easily occupy their time. Add to this the growth of video game consoles and personal computers that started to appear in the mid-1970's.

Add to this massive inflation and spikes in gas and food prices.

It is a wonder that drum corps even exists today in any form at all. DCI did not kill drum corps, but instead has prevented it from becoming extinct entirely.

The other point to consider is the number of school marching band programs that have mushroomed since the 1970's. The rate they have grown at (due in large part to the influence of drum corps, actually), has more than replaced the decrease in numbers of small corps.

Basically, there are loads more local drum corps these days than there was in the past... they just have an expanded instrumentation and compete in the fall.

Drum corps is marching band, and marching band has not only replaced local drum corps... it tends to do a better job of it.

• Like 1

Where did I ever claim any causality in this thread for the demise of these 270+ corps which posted scores in DCI? I was merely pointing out a more realistic number of corps who no longer compete based on corps who performed in DCI since 1972, nothing more.

I thought that it was Oprah's weight.....then I noticed the numbers were wrong. :devil:

And as much as many folks want to blame "DCI" for their folding, the truth is that easily 90% of those corps that folded did so because they were run poorly by people who were terrible businessmen.

• Like 4

And as much as many folks want to blame "DCI" for their folding, the truth is that easily 90% of those corps that folded did so because they were run poorly by people who were terrible businessmen.

,..........or they were decent corps without a big enough money machine to keep up with the national touring model DCI has rammed down their throats,...........

• Like 2

,..........or they were decent corps without a big enough money machine to keep up with the national touring model DCI has rammed down their throats,...........

You keep preaching that. The rest of us know it's bunk, and there were plenty of regional associations that were just fine until the corps that populated them were run into the ground by their administrations.

• Like 1

You keep preaching that. The rest of us know it's bunk, and there were plenty of regional associations that were just fine until the corps that populated them were run into the ground by their administrations.

,...........not sure where you are coming from,............but I am pretty sure you cannot even win a regular season WC show these days without a 2 million dollar budget,...........

• Like 1

Again, I never claimed any causality in my posting, I just stated the number of corps who competed in DCI that are no longer competing; nothing more.