More Realistic List

Stu

I'm just saying there are many more factors than cost for the kids that do participate. Some of these have to do with proximity, instructors, friends, and so on. Money is not the real factor for kids in deciding where to do... it is mostly a factor for those where cost is a barrier for them.

Also, there is often a huge gap in mindset between many of the kids that simply audition and the kids that actually participate.

Still waiting to hear wher this "broad brush" information comes from.

Also the people who resonded to my earlier thread did not say cost was a barrier. They said they put enough thought into the decision that they decided the cost of a non-top corps was higher than what they were willing to pay. If they were willing to pay the $$$ for a top corps, then they had the $$$ to begin with.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

From being the guy sitting at the table registering the kid's for a corps' audition camp and entering their info into the computer... calling them up later in the year after they had been cut (or cut themselves) to see what they ended up doing and why, so I could enter that into the computer too.

But, other than that... I have absolutely no idea. :-)

From being the guy sitting at the table registering the kid's for a corps' audition camp and entering their info into the computer... calling them up later in the year after they had been cut (or cut themselves) to see what they ended up doing and why, so I could enter that into the computer too.

But, other than that... I have absolutely no idea. :-)

OK, so you're hearing from people who actually go to auditions. Was this a top corps or non-top corps?

Also the people who responded to my earlier thread did not say cost was a barrier. They said they put enough thought into the decision that they decided the cost of a non-top corps was higher than what they were willing to pay. If they were willing to pay the $$$ for a top corps, then they had the $$$ to begin with.

Ding, Ding, Ding. While there are some who move away from a ring-winning corps for personal reasons, the majority who get cut from a ring-winning corps stay at home instead of going to another corps because they do not want to pay the same huge amount for a corps which will not have a chance at that getting a ring let alone make it to Saturday Finals. The two major problems that has created this large rise in performer costs for even non-ring contending corps are: 1) The massive full all-out national touring now required for all corps who desire to even make it into the Saturday Finals (with the complete elimination of regional first tour scenarios); and 2) The corps no longer recruit talent mainly from their own driving distance region but from all over the world which creates massive transportation costs to and from camps for those who audition.

Ding, Ding, Ding. While there are some who move away from a ring-winning corps for personal reasons, the majority who get cut from a ring-winning corps stay at home instead of going to another corps because they do not want to pay the same huge amount for a corps which will not have a chance at that getting a ring let alone make it to Saturday Finals. The two major problems that has created this large rise in performer costs for even non-ring contending corps are: 1) The massive full all-out national touring now required for all corps who desire to even make it into the Saturday Finals (with the complete elimination of regional first tour scenarios); and 2) The corps no longer recruit talent mainly from their own driving distance region but from all over the world which creates massive transportation costs to and from camps for those who audition.

It isn't that they sit it out because of cost... they sit it out because they are pretty much set on going to a specific corps... or sometimes... just don't want to admit they got cut... so, find some other excuses that they say are the reasons they are not participating.

I remember one kid one year who got cut early in the winter... but stuck around... and kept showing up... thinking he would eventually get a spot... because he told everyone back home he'd made the corps. He kept doing this until memorial day.

Some people just know ALL the answers! I wish I could be that perfect.

Actually Stu. I still teach in WC and several winter programs and MONEY for most doesnt come into play alot of times. KIDS want to be in the best of the bestor have other motivations. AS I have said before members in our activity today demand alot more than we did back in the day.

Money should be a factor ( many dead beat members today or many who feel entitled ) but as in many things its beeen proven money doesnt motivate or usually doesnt make a final decision. Ive seen this over and over.

Actually Stu. I still teach in WC and several winter programs and MONEY for most doesnt come into play alot of times. KIDS want to be in the best of the bestor have other motivations. AS I have said before members in our activity today demand alot more than we did back in the day.

Money should be a factor ( many dead beat members today or many who feel entitled ) but as in many things its beeen proven money doesnt motivate or usually doesnt make a final decision. Ive seen this over and over.

Don't confuse money as "being able to afford corps" with what I've been posting. I've been talking about "is it worth what I pay". Which fits well into "members in our activity today demand alot more" as if a corps doesn't fit what they want it isn't worth their money.

Can't remember exact quotes anymore but something like "Why pay the same amount of money for OC it I'm not going to do a full tour or get knocked out early DCI Championships Week".

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Don't confuse money as "being able to afford corps" with what I've been posting. I've been talking about "is it worth what I pay". Which fits well into "members in our activity today demand alot more" as if a corps doesn't fit what they want it isn't worth their money.

Can't remember exact quotes anymore but something like "Why pay the same amount of money for OC it I'm not going to do a full tour or get knocked out early DCI Championships Week".

I understood your point Jim was trying to undersand Stu or give my take on members of today or at least the many I come across.