Suggestion on Closing Threads

jonnyboy

Just a suggestion: Could we please stop letting the OP close a thread? I understand if they ask a question and it is answered, ie "What time does Cadets camp start on Friday?". But when they start a thread on a broad topic, and don't like the way it is going, they can ask for it to be closed. ie The kid that asked how how a BOA band would place in DCI, and a vigorous discussion took place. The OP quoted people and made comments, then asked for the topic to be closed. How can I respond to someone when the topic is closed? How can I defend myself?

I am fine with a topic being closed if it gets ugly or personal, or if the discussion has run its course, but please don't close topics because the OP changes of gears. Once a topic is posted, please let it run it's course....most topics seem to do fine this way.

• Like 2

In my experience, it is a nice feature of the board that (I think) is appreciated by the members, is rarely abused, an is very useful in keeping the board clean.

Given the traffic on DCP, it doesnt really happen that often that an OP requests a discussion be closed - but as I see in the majority of cases, it is quite appropriate to do so because either the question has been answered, or it has veered totally off course and is no longer relevant to the original intent. Be reminded, however, that the decision to close threads still ultimately rests with the moderating team - we have at times declined to close threads despite the OP request.

As for the thread in question, having just gone through and reviewed that particular thread, it had devolved into "ugly and personal" and was more than time and appropriate that it be closed whether the OP asked for it or not.

I hope this helps - we do continue to look for ways to improve the board, and I will keep this item in mind for any future reconsideration.

thanks!

z

Three cheers for the mods! They (mostly) get it right.

As the the OP closing a thread, it should remain his choice to do so.

I do, however, think that the privilege comes with a responsibility to monitor the thread you start, and attempt to keep it from veering off into non-related areas.

While the ultimate decisions rests with the mods, an OP can make the job easier by trying to keep the conversation on track with the title of the thread.

well, we are *gasp* human - we do make mistakes.

And we do some OPs actually doing just that - taking ownership of their threads by steering it on topic. that is noticed and greatly appreciated.

another viewpoint regarding the OP trying to keep a thread on topic - IMO it is sometimes perfectly fine for threads to 'morph', as long as it is relevant and meaningful to the OP, readers and participants. there have been some incredibly outstanding 'secondary' discussions over the years....which may somewhat explain to some why we may let some threads seemingly 'meander'. sometimes it works and the thread takes off in another purposeful direction, sometimes it doesn't.

hope this helps.