Guelph Opti-Knights

bump

Edited by WildWilly55

bump

Hi. I'm lindap, know of Guelph Opti-Knights, was guard instructor Wednesday evenings September to December 1974 but had to quit 'cause the commute from Kitchener-Waterloo to Guelph was gruelling (I'm joking :) Kept your corps button all these years and scanned a bunch of drum corps programs over the last 4 years. This site has my button and program scan. Small world! lol

http://www.drumcorpscollectibles.com/OptimistKnights,Guelph,Ontario.html

I was a member of this site way--way back in the day---EJ good to see you--I have been about 4 days just catching up on the old Corps pictures etc on this page. Lindap--I see you where with Alberta All Girls---I lived in Anahiem with Al Murray and Johnny Flores--a lot of the Kmen hung in that apartment--Corner of Knot and Ball. Tom Float, Brenda Marksam, Sue Mazdia and Lenny---I have posted pictures from some of the parties on the Kingsmen site years ago. I may have to dig them out---I met up with Al Murray 3 years ago in Bloomington when he was still flogging drums for Dynasty--I was working up in Kokomo, Indiana--drove down to see him. Its been a long time--Al hadn't changed much. Saw Barry Wood with the Dutchboy--couple of other faces around. I have some shots of Anaheim drum line right before the collapse in 1975--I will have to post them. Good talking to you. If you are on Facebook---drop in to see our site Opti-Knights Drum Corps---Bruce Witmer was one of our electricians at Budd in Kitchener and former Dutchman---so we got to relive history quite a bit at work for 10 years or so. Bruce and his wife Wendy (Tudhope) from St. John's girls are both playing Euphonium with Preston Scout House Alumni Corps. Wow been 35 years since I last put foot on the field!! This site has some great memories--I remember going down to Hamilton to see Blue Rock--I was so blown away by them and their show (I still catch myself singing "Baby Eleaphant Walk" all the time--amazing what you remember. Anyway--I have talked long enough. Thnx for listening.

Edited by WildWilly55

As a side note---we are having a "Get togeather of Friends"---I hate the word reunion of the Guelph Opti-Knights on July 28/2012. It is being held at the Guelph and District Shrine Club at 15 Cork Street in downtown Guelph, Ontario, Canada--Cost will be $5/person to off set hall and light snack costs. I was asked to throw something togeather this summer---it is now thown togeather. We hope to have lots of corps memrobilia on display--EJ has even found an old tunic!! So this is just another vehicle to get the message out there!!!

As a side note---we are having a "Get togeather of Friends"---I hate the word reunion of the Guelph Opti-Knights on July 28/2012. It is being held at the Guelph and District Shrine Club at 15 Cork Street in downtown Guelph, Ontario, Canada--Cost will be $5/person to off set hall and light snack costs. I was asked to throw something togeather this summer---it is now thown togeather. We hope to have lots of corps memrobilia on display--EJ has even found an old tunic!! So this is just another vehicle to get the message out there!!!

Alberta All Girls had reunions in 1978, 1989, 2006 and 2011. I was on the 'reunion' committee 2011. Lots of work and lots of fun but from now on we're only having get togethers. All the best WildWilly55. I remember in October 74, before my first rehearsal with Guelph Opti-Knights guard, I walked around campus and found it reflective and calming. Guelph is a nice place. Amazing that Guelph had a Junior and Senior Corps :D

Alberta All Girls had reunions in 1978, 1989, 2006 and 2011. I was on the 'reunion' committee 2011. Lots of work and lots of fun but from now on we're only having get togethers. All the best WildWilly55. I remember in October 74, before my first rehearsal with Guelph Opti-Knights guard, I walked around campus and found it reflective and calming. Guelph is a nice place. Amazing that Guelph had a Junior and Senior Corps :D

We actually had three corps for a while. Besides Opti-Knights and Royalaires, Willy and I were both in the Sea Cadet Corps which competed both in the Cadet circuit and in CDCA. We were at Nationals in Ottawa in 1969.

We actually had three corps for a while. Besides Opti-Knights and Royalaires, Willy and I were both in the Sea Cadet Corps which competed both in the Cadet circuit and in CDCA. We were at Nationals in Ottawa in 1969.

I was at Nationals in Ottawa in 1969 too! Thanks for the info. 3 corps from one community! (no sarcasm because I like Guelph :) Information Drum Corps newsletter, dated June 1976 (No.76-2). ‘The Individuals Competition was held on March 6, 1976 at Etobicoke Collegiate in west Toronto. 1st place percussion quartet was Guelph Opti-Knights with a score of 81.0’ :bigsmile:

76-idc03.jpg

Do you remember that parade? Killer.....

It was a hot day, cool in the evening with a thunder storm later in the night. I wrote in my journal that the Ottawa Lansdowne Park Stadium seemed dark and huge.

This is where we stayed after Nationals 1969. Del had a party in room 204. We went for a while and left before curfew of course :wink:

1970-hotel-40.jpg