Guelph Opti-Knights

Did you know Peter marched in Guelph Opti-Knights? I didn’t until now!

http://www.optimists-alumni.org/photos/displayimage.php?album=192&pos=0

An ad from the 1976 Information Drum Corps newsletter; Paul drew cartoons and Peter photographed :)

76-idc09-edit.jpg

I’ll keep looking for Guelph Opti Knights stuff for your FB and your reunion :smile:

Did you know Peter marched in Guelph Opti-Knights? I didn't until now!

http://www.optimists...album=192&pos=0

An ad from the 1976 Information Drum Corps newsletter; Paul drew cartoons and Peter photographed :)

76-idc09-edit.jpg

I'll keep looking for Guelph Opti Knights stuff for your FB and your reunion :smile:

Hi Linda----yes both Peter and Paul marched Opti-Knights----one crew kinda took off for Toronto Optimists (Peter and Paul McCusker, Ed Martin)--and one crew kinda took off for Del (Mark and Glen Bailey, Niko Vanderslus, Archie O'Connor, John Astins) in 1972. After 1972 most everyone that left Opti-Knights went to Del as did a lot of Toronto Optimist. It all kind of inter collapsed upon it self. With escalating costs the corps could not mantain themselves anymore---and people just kept moving to the remaining corps that had both financial equipment available.

Hi Linda----yes both Peter and Paul marched Opti-Knights----one crew kinda took off for Toronto Optimists (Peter and Paul McCusker, Ed Martin)--and one crew kinda took off for Del (Mark and Glen Bailey, Niko Vanderslus, Archie O'Connor, John Astins) in 1972. After 1972 most everyone that left Opti-Knights went to Del as did a lot of Toronto Optimist. It all kind of inter collapsed upon it self. With escalating costs the corps could not mantain themselves anymore---and people just kept moving to the remaining corps that had both financial equipment available.

Hi WildWilly. Sorry I’m responding late. I’m in another zone and watching lots and lots and lots of winter guards on Fan Network. I’ll relate a few tidbits. Debbie and I joined Scarborough Firefighters fall of 68. We bugged and bugged our younger brothers to join drum corps. In 71 or 72 my brother finally joined a drum corps, De La Salle Oaklands. He was friends with a guy in Del who started drum corps with London Midlanders. I got to know the Midlander boys, 2 of whom marched in Anaheim Kingsmen in 74, one of whom plus another taught Alberta All Girls.

Fast forward in time … 9 of us flew over 2,000 miles to see DCI finals in 2010. Brenda and I went to the drum corps museum where I think I saw a Guelph Royalaires uniform. The museum was fantastic! We then proceeded to our seats but I asked Brenda to stop by Steve Vickers' table so I could say thanks for the History of Drum Corps books that I ordered and received. At that moment in time, guess who is also approaching Steve? It was Al Murray! We had a quick chat and in no time we were back in our seats ready for more drum corps. Small world hey :smile:

I don’t have a lot for Guelph Opti-Knights. You’re listed in the 1969 program but there’re no program notes. I’ll check newsletters next. Here’s the 1973 Nationals Program, Optimist Knights (Opti-Knights), Guelph Ontario, photo courtesy of Eric McConachie (photo may be of 72?) (photo is also on some old corps photos thread)

Program notes; “… corps formed in 1961 … this year they are marching 31 bugles, 14 drums and a colour guard of 25 …music is ‘A man a Horse and a Gun’, ‘If You Knew Suzy Like I Knew Suzy’, ‘Watermelon Man’, My Way … instructors – bugles Glenn Bailey and Mike Hendy, drums – Rich Dimod, drill – Bob Mondy and Jim Hutchinson’

73-opti-knights.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If the truth be known Guelph actually had 4 Canadian Championship Drum Corps. I have learned this from Ian Erb who is another Drum Corps fanatic from Opti-Knights.

They where as follows:

The Red Lions--(sponsored by the Red Chevron Club in Guelph)--Jr. B or standstill champs from the 60's

Ajax Sea Cadet Corps--Jr. B standstill champs in the 60's

Opti-Knights Drum Corps--1971 Jr. B M&M champions

Royalaires--Several time Canadian Senior Corps Champs

Amazing little trivia bits you find out along the way!!

• Like 1

If the truth be known Guelph actually had 4 Canadian Championship Drum Corps. I have learned this from Ian Erb who is another Drum Corps fanatic from Opti-Knights.

They where as follows:

The Red Lions--(sponsored by the Red Chevron Club in Guelph)--Jr. B or standstill champs from the 60's

Ajax Sea Cadet Corps--Jr. B standstill champs in the 60's

Opti-Knights Drum Corps--1971 Jr. B M&M champions

Royalaires--Several time Canadian Senior Corps Champs

Amazing little trivia bits you find out along the way!!

If anyone would know, it would be Ian. He lives and breathes drum corps history.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This site seems pretty quiet---but I have some new scanned pictures!!!

1968Opti-KnightsDrumCorps.jpg

1968 Opti-Knights (I think this one is already posted)(one double base and a set of timbali's)

1969Opti-Knights.jpg

This one is new--the 1969 Opti-Knights (Note the double base drums--cut in half real base drums!!)--Heavy!!!

1971Champions.jpg

This is the Canadian Jr. B Champion 1971 Guelph Opti-Knights

1974Opti-KnightsDrumCorps.jpg

The 1974 Guelph Opti-Knights

CityHall1971.jpg

Downtown Guelph after winning the 1971 Jr. B Championship.

Colourguard1971.jpg

Our colour guard uptown Guelph 1971

Edited by WildWilly55
  • Like 1