1991 Phantom Regiment

Hey. I've been thinking about this for a while but never asked about it...

Was the jazzy section of Pagliacci (with the baritone, mellophone, and screech soprano) just an arrangement or did part of the original actual sound like that? Or could it have been an arrangement of somebody else's version (similar to this summer's Canon in D being based on another group's interpretation)? The tune we're all familiar with follows that - the much slower (gentler?) version. I would assume the original isn't quite that peppy, but I thought I'd ask...

And what was the reaction to it in 1991? Were some folks outraged that Phantom had a park-and-blow?

Kash

Hey. I've been thinking about this for a while but never asked about it...

Was the jazzy section of Pagliacci (with the baritone, mellophone, and screech soprano) just an arrangement or did part of the original actual sound like that? Or could it have been an arrangement of somebody else's version (similar to this summer's Canon in D being based on another group's interpretation)? The tune we're all familiar with follows that - the much slower (gentler?) version. I would assume the original isn't quite that peppy, but I thought I'd ask...

And what was the reaction to it in 1991? Were some folks outraged that Phantom had a park-and-blow?

Kash

It was an arrangement of a Maynard Ferguson version of Pagliacci.

Moving this to the historical forum.........

As I recall while sitting in the stands at Finals, that show blew the house down -- best crowd response of the night.

And I loved every minute of being on the field...especially the "tidal wave" of sound that crashed over us after the end of the show, when the crowd goes nuts. Only one other feeling like that I ever got....at the end of the 360-degree turn after the crab step in 1993.

Hey.  I've been thinking about this for a while but never asked about it...

Was the jazzy section of Pagliacci (with the baritone, mellophone, and screech soprano) just an arrangement or did part of the original actual sound like that?  Or could it have been an arrangement of somebody else's version (similar to this summer's Canon in D being based on another group's interpretation)?  The tune we're all familiar with follows that - the much slower (gentler?) version.  I would assume the original isn't quite that peppy, but I thought I'd ask...

And what was the reaction to it in 1991?  Were some folks outraged that Phantom had a park-and-blow?

Kash

It was an arrangement of a Maynard Ferguson version of Pagliacci.

Also used by Phantom in 1977 (as well as by the Bridgemen in 1976 and 1979).

actually, i believe regiment did it in 1978.

Hmm...no, I think it was 1977...Dan Farrell (bari) and Peter Bond (sop) were the soloists in that version, Grant Dawson (bari), Matt Chapman (bari), J.D. Shaw (mello) and Ray Vasquez (sop) were the soloists in 1991. We spread the wealth a tad more in 1991, apparently. :)