Fantasia video

TrishDish1002

Fantasia's video is not available on fan network. I heard the show is "disturbing."

What's the story? has anyone seen them?

The guard is portraying Nazi's and they shoot 5 of 6 "jews". I found the show to be quite good. They are spinning only rifle. Great costume. Cool staging. I LOVE it. : ) And NO, I am not a Nazi.

Yes, the "firing squad" section is (or could be) disturbing... but I found it to be more powerful than anything. Too much?? I don't think so. Way to go Fantasia - you are only portraying history (albeit a gruesome portion of it).

Can't wait to see this show live at WGI!

• Like 1

Here's how I feel though, I'm almost 23 years old, and am a paying member for the fan network service. I can handle disturbing imagery, especially if I'm paying for access to the service. Maybe they should age-check the subscribers?

• Like 2

Fantasia's video is not available on fan network. I heard the show is "disturbing."

What's the story? has anyone seen them?

Despite the show being disturbing I was disappointed that when the regional was posted to fan network Fantasia requested not to have their show published. Unless you see them at a local circuit show or regional I guess the rest of the color guard community will not see Fantasia until Dayton.

With that being said efigenio jose has posted a detailed description/review of Fantasia's show on the Onxy 2012, SCV, Flanagan, Braddock, etc. thread.

ps: Trish, you know its, "who you know in this community" for someone to hyjack a video for you :) I'm sure one will surface before its yanked off Youtube.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Edited by Fan of the Arts

The guard is portraying Nazi's and they shoot 5 of 6 "jews". I found the show to be quite good. They are spinning only rifle. Great costume. Cool staging. I LOVE it. : ) And NO, I am not a Nazi.

Yes, the "firing squad" section is (or could be) disturbing... but I found it to be more powerful than anything. Too much?? I don't think so. Way to go Fantasia - you are only portraying history (albeit a gruesome portion of it).

Can't wait to see this show live at WGI!

It won't be the first time a guard has brought a controversial/disturbing show to Dayton. I too can't wait to see Fantasia. WGI certainly agreed that the show was disturbing enough to go along quickly with Fantasia's request.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

My initial thought is.. how irritatingly pompous of their staff...you're spinning wooden guns in a gym, not safeguarding your daughter from the extremely hot alcoholic quarterback of the school. The reality is that it's not all that disturbing, but more so: self-preserving. They want their show; specifically their ending to be a surprise, and this is the cowardly way to do it...otherwise the emotional impact is lost from viewing it over and over again. Also, Fantasia has made copyright claims to all youtube videos posted, so be careful. I had previously seen the show on youtube, and if you possess a video of the show, be discreet on how you post it or who you send it to.

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay
  • Like 2

I agree that the video should be up on Fan Network. In my personal opinion, it's especially pompous to present a show every weekend in a gym, but claim that it could be offensive and not have the video shown.

Fantasia's design team, and the rest of the Winter Guard World, has been fully aware from the beginning that their show would be on Fan Network. As a paying subscriber, I'm deeply disappointed in WGI.

If WGI and Fantasia feel the show is offensive, add a disclaimer! But taking it down seems to me more like politics and horse-racing then actual concern for the audience.

I hope WGI will reconsider its stance, or offer a partial refund to those of us who expected to be able to watch Fantasia and all of the other performing guards.

• Like 1

Sent through the Fan Network support link: http://wgi.thefannetwork.org/support/

I am extremely disappointed in WGI and Fantasia's decision to withhold the video from the Riverside, CA regional on 2/25/12. The show is presented live to many people every weekend, yet a paying subscriber to this service (who presumably would be shown video from every guard at every WGI regional) is unable to see the show.

I sincerely hope that this decision is reconsidered.

Thank you,

[My Name]

• Like 2

Being a big fan of Fantasia, I am very disappointed that the show is not on FanNetwork because I would like to watch it over and over and over.... However, I will say another issue from this regional is being overlooked due to this distraction. Am I the only one with an issue with Arcadia? I hate to use words like crime, stealing, plagiarism, etc. - so I won't. I'll leave those descriptions to other people. I do like their show for the same reasons I like the original version produced by Emerald Marquis way back when. I can see that Arcadia has a very talented staff (and kids), so I am perplexed as to why/how the staff came to the conclusion for this "idea" for this as a show. Seems like someone already had this idea 15 years ago (and was successful doing it). I don't see it as a "tribute" and I don't think they have improved upon the previous iteration, seems to me to just be "borrowed". okay, I did think of another issue about this regional - the write-up on the wgi website. Funny how the writer has wonderful descriptions and accolades for even the "less than" wonderful groups, but when he gets to Fantasia (who were clearly the stand-outs of the day) seems to have developed writer's block. This is not an exact transcript from the WGI website but the general idea - - "So and so colorguard" in Scholastic A - blah blah blah wonderful wonderful yadda yadda yadda for four sentences. Then the description for Fantasia - They entered the gym, did their show, and left. Seriously? ...or perhaps the staff of Fantasia requested that no description of their show be written, lest ye be stricken down by lightning.... Legal disclaimer - All of the preceding was my opinion only.

Here's how I feel though, I'm almost 23 years old, and am a paying member for the fan network service. I can handle disturbing imagery, especially if I'm paying for access to the service. Maybe they should age-check the subscribers?

I agree.. I like the show and saw it live. I paid for my subscription and want to see the darn show again on video!