Madison Scouts "Innovators of the 90's"

I'd also like to think they were innovative in their finances.

1990's Madison corps had a consistent top 6 corps... with a tuition of less than $1,000 per member.

Someone else might want to chime in with specific numbers, but I think it's been mentioned that the corps had fees as low as $900 even as late as 1999. Even back then in a more stable economy that number would probably be considered pretty low.

• Like 3

I'd also like to think they were innovative in their finances.

1990's Madison corps had a consistent top 6 corps... with a tuition of less than $1,000 per member.

Someone else might want to chime in with specific numbers, but I think it's been mentioned that the corps had fees as low as $900 even as late as 1999. Even back then in a more stable economy that number would probably be considered pretty low.

I think in the $500 area would be more accurate.

• Like 2

I think in the $500 area would be more accurate.

It has been a while, but I know it started somewhere like $750 (I can't remember exactly), and dropped $50 each year you marched...So, yeah, for the 6-years, it was amazingly cheap. I know other corps' dues weren't as high as they are now, but I'm pretty sure that I remember figuring that I was paying about 1/3 as much to march Madison as it would cost to march Cadets.

What were the comparative points to this "innovation?" Where was the State of the Art?

The Hornline was _______ than any other corps. ("Louder" is not an answer... see Crossmen 1990)

The Drums were _________ than any other corps.

The Guard was __________ than any other corps.

The drill was __________ than any other corps.

The Book was ___________ than any other corps.

My answers for the quiz:

1. usually more entertaining

2. usually more entertaining

3. usually more entertaining

4. usually more entertaining

5. usually more entertaining

• Like 8

Not counting uniform fee's, free day expenses, and laundry, my best recollection is:

Tour Fees (and maybe it fluctuated different periods in the 90's)

1st year member - $500

2nd year member - $300

3rd year member - $250

4th year member - $200

5th year member - $150

6th year member - $100

Can't remember if staying at the Regent was a separate expense...Anyone? After Memorial day camp, you would room with 3 other guys, all chip in for food (mostly bought at Aldi's) and beverages and this was also another expense. The Regent was a pretty nice place all things considered, it had a computer room, a commons area, was close to a laundromat, and was about a 10 or 15 minute walk to State Street.

Good times.

Edited by mrshowfan
  • Like 1

All of this while NOT listening to one comment off of a judges tape.

Not true. While they stopped sending staff to critique after 1995 (which I don't

agee with), they most certainly listened to judges tapes.

When I think of innovative, corps such as Santa Clara or the Cadets usually comes to mind rather than Madison, but when I think of entertainment and excellence, the “Men from Madison” always deliver and often set the standard. I think if there was a time when Madison was innovative, it was in the 1970’s, especially 1974-7 or maybe 78. This was a time that DCI was beginning to define who it was, and Madison was one of the corps that set the standard. In the 1980’s were the years that they had innovative moments, and were a bit more competitive and some of my favorite Madison moments came from that decade.

As far as the 90’s were concerned, I’m not sure innovative would be the word I would use, but that would not be a way of dismissing their accomplishments. Madison knows what works for them and tries new ways to make this happen so they are both traditional and fresh. The shows of the 90’s were generally consistent and often excellent. I found overall they alternated between new and creative shows (1992 or 1998) and different ways to reinterpret pieces that defined them (1995 and 1996). The newer shows demonstrated they could always be competitive, returning to old favorites demonstrated building on excellence. Madison plays to the crowd which generates excitement, and so often this excitement enthuses the corps which ensures performances that not only wow the crowd but have an energy that makes them competitive. Some characterize this as schmaltz, but there is no way that skill, talent, and hard work cannot be involved in making a Madison show work.

Madison has had some challenges in the new millennium. The horn line is generally strong, but other areas are not a strong and can at time pale in comparison. Still, Madison can still pack a punch and I’m willing to bet that if the percussion can get stronger and the guard has the style and athleticism of the 80’s and 90’s, Madison will remain a force, at least that’s what I’m hoping as I anticipate the coming summer.

• Like 1

Not counting uniform fee's, free day expenses, and laundry, my best recollection is:

Tour Fees (and maybe it fluctuated different periods in the 90's)

1st year member - $500

2nd year member - $300

3rd year member - $250

4th year member - $200

5th year member - $150

6th year member - $100

Can't remember if staying at the Regent was a separate expense...Anyone? After Memorial day camp, you would room with 3 other guys, all chip in for food (mostly bought at Aldi's) and beverages and this was also another expense. The Regent was a pretty nice place all things considered, it had a computer room, a commons area, was close to a laundromat, and was about a 10 or 15 minute walk to State Street.

Good times.

If memory serves, in my recollection from 96, it was $500 for a first year member, $400 for a second year, and so on...so that 6 year members marched for free. I believe Regents was a separate expense. I don't know because I stayed with a member I went to school with whose uncle was the UW Asst Athletic Director. Nice place right on the lake with a boat. :thumbup:

But nevertheless, it cost me MORE to march Colts in 94-95 ($650) than Scouts in 96 ($500). All this while, operating with a huge surplus, from what I remember. There's no doubt that Scott Stewart ran a tight ship.

And Van Matthews is hands-down, IMO, one of the best instructors I've ever had. Shame that he's no longer with Scouts.