Really Old Drum Corps

I really appreciate what the young people are doing in Drum Corps but I'm afraid that history is being forgotten. With all the alumni people out there, how fare back do you go?

I really appreciate what the young people are doing in Drum Corps but I'm afraid that history is being forgotten. With all the alumni people out there, how fare back do you go?

I started playing in drum corps in 1967, playing cymbals in the North East PA Shoreliners at 12 years old. I'm 56 now playing snare with Steel City Ambassadors. I haven't forgotten the history, but you have to adapt and try to keep somewhat current in your playing style. I have to add that I know a lot of people still playing that go back further than that. Old school is still alive and well

Edited by Santana

I guess I'll chime in. Came from a drum corps family. My father, uncle and aunt were all in Hamilton Fish Post VFW corps in Philly in the mid-late 30's. I saw my first show in '49 and followed Philly corps for most of my life, sat in with a few, marched a parade or 2 and did 1 contest, but in '62 I joined Archie......and I'm still involved with the activity.

Started marching in a Boston area CYO band in 1967, joined 27th Lancers in SEPT 1969, aged-out in spring 1973. Still "march" (amble, actually) with (Holy Family/Plymouth County) Defenders Alumni Corps.

I, too, was born into a drum corps family. My grandfather and two uncles were involved with some junior corps here on Staten Island in the 30s ( Rocky Hollow and Immaculate Conception corps ) and in 1938, "Pop" Feist co-founded the Royal Blue Drum Corps with Ed "Pop" Flamm. The Blues were named after one of the B&O RR's 'name trains' of the era and were sponsored by B&O Veterans ###'n and Rhinelander A.L. Post of Manhattan. It seems that many of the Legion Posts on S.I. had their own corps to sponsor ( Staats Post, Beauvais-Hudson, Fabian etc.). The Blues and Staats were the breeding ground for a number of original members of the Garbarina Post and its corps, the Skyliners. Many alums of the Blues later went on to march Sky, Cabs, Amboy, Sun or founded one of the many junior corps on S.I. during the 60s and 70s.

I attended many small corps shows in the early 50s but saw my first BIG SHOW at the '58 Dream. I played with a Sea Cadet corps in the late 50s and my family and former members of the Royal Blues started the Thunderbirds in 1960. The T-birds merged with the Lawmen in late '65, becoming the Statenaires and that's also where I marched and played snare on weekends or when home on leave during '66. I was discharged from the Navy on a Friday in May '67 and the following Wednesday evening I joined the Skyliners, where I marched competitively for 10 years. Played with BSGK parade corps for their first 5 years, while the Sky Alumni corps was getting off the ground with Charlie Bruen, Rich Warga, Andy Lisko, Jerry Giordano, Mike Siglow, Dennis Peck, Joe Genero and a few others forming the original nucleus. I played with both corps simultaneously for a couple of years and then went strictly with the red and black. I served as Director of the corps for 6 years and while I don't play in line any more (bad back), I'm still involved with the corps and the activity. It's an extension of my family and I still love being with some of the finest folks in the hobby from ALL corps. Sorry for being long-winded.

• Like 1

I, too, was born into a drum corps family. My grandfather and two uncles were involved with some junior corps here on Staten Island in the 30s ( Rocky Hollow and Immaculate Conception corps ) and in 1938, "Pop" Feist co-founded the Royal Blue Drum Corps with Ed "Pop" Flamm. The Blues were named after one of the B&O RR's 'name trains' of the era and were sponsored by B&O Veterans ###'n and Rhinelander A.L. Post of Manhattan. It seems that many of the Legion Posts on S.I. had their own corps to sponsor ( Staats Post, Beauvais-Hudson, Fabian etc.). The Blues and Staats were the breeding ground for a number of original members of the Garbarina Post and its corps, the Skyliners. Many alums of the Blues later went on to march Sky, Cabs, Amboy, Sun or founded one of the many junior corps on S.I. during the 60s and 70s.

I attended many small corps shows in the early 50s but saw my first BIG SHOW at the '58 Dream. I played with a Sea Cadet corps in the late 50s and my family and former members of the Royal Blues started the Thunderbirds in 1960. The T-birds merged with the Lawmen in late '65, becoming the Statenaires and that's also where I marched and played snare on weekends or when home on leave during '66. I was discharged from the Navy on a Friday in May '67 and the following Wednesday evening I joined the Skyliners, where I marched competitively for 10 years. Played with BSGK parade corps for their first 5 years, while the Sky Alumni corps was getting off the ground with Charlie Bruen, Rich Warga, Andy Lisko, Jerry Giordano, Mike Siglow, Dennis Peck, Joe Genero and a few others forming the original nucleus. I played with both corps simultaneously for a couple of years and then went strictly with the red and black. I served as Director of the corps for 6 years and while I don't play in line any more (bad back), I'm still involved with the corps and the activity. It's an extension of my family and I still love being with some of the finest folks in the hobby from ALL corps. Sorry for being long-winded.

"Staten Island Memories":

THANKS for a GREAT history lesson. I remember drum corps shows on the "Island" from back in the 1960's and in particular the olde T-Birds individuals contest. Some INCREDIBLE moments at that one, and not all of them having to do with the contest.

I remembr Richie Waga from the olde PAL Cadets and Andy Lisko marched with both "City" corps (Cadets and Buccaneers) "Back in the Day" Joe Genero taught us for three years and was followed by none other than Hy Drietzer in the "Arranger" job.

Thanks again.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

Started out as a drummer in '49 with St. Mary's of Beverly, Mass. Stayed with them until I "aged out" (even though we didn't use that term) in '61. Then in the army for three years, but did a wee bit of drill instructing after I got out and was in college. Completely dropped out of the activity until I went to Scranton for DCA's in '04. Joined Hawthorne's alumni in '05. Can't be in their drum line for two reasons - (1) my back can't take it and (2) I couldn't break into that line on my best day.

The FIRST contest I ever saw was the New Jersey VFW States in 1960. (Blessed Sacrament, Garfield, St. Vincent's, and Many More.

Got me Hooked. Went and joined the Local Corps. Then in the Fall of 1961. The VFW desided they wanted to change from Parade Corps to Competeing Corps. So that Spring '62, we Learned a Field Show. They (the VFW) even Charted a bus in early June 1962. Took the entire Corps to the Preview of Champions in Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City, NJ. Wanted us to all to see a Contest. (many never had). So that we would be ready to compete for the first time two weeks later. The Preview had :

June - 1962

Juniors Corps: 1 Chicago Cavaliers -- 2 Garfield Cadets -- 3 Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights -- 4 Cambridge Caballeros. AND in, Seniors Corps: 1 Hawthorne Caballeros -- 2 New York City Skyliners -- 3 Archer-Epler Musketeers -- 4 Reading Buccaneers -- 5 Guelf Royalaires

What a start to something I have Competed in during '60s, '70s, '80s '90' and yes the first five year's of the 2000's.

From Last place at Jersey State's(when there were 15 Corps in JR's). Too being a member of a Top 7 in the Nation in Jr., & Top 5 in DCA in SR .

( Competed in VFW National's Finals, American Legion National's. National Dream (Both Jr & Sr), DCA Championships Finals, and too many others to mention.)

It was ALL GREAT. Now just a Big Fan. So it was and still is "A Wonderful (Drum Corps) Life"

Edited by 2B or not 2B

Wow Dick, You got some of our beloved activity's heavy hitters to reply! thumbup.gif

I used to compete against my "wife to be" when we were kids (5 and 8yrs old) and we've marched together since the Renegades in 1970. (RCA Corps from Everett, MA)

Donna and I both started in 1963... (my DC history is listed in my sig)

Donna's DC History: (All Guard, Rifle & Flag Lines)

Majestic Knights, Charlestown, MA 1963-1968/69

St. Kevin's Majestic Knights, Dorchester, MA 1969

The Renegades, Everett MA (RCA) 1970-1973

L.I.Sunrisers, L.I.N.Y. 1975-1979, 1981-1984

Yankee Rebels Alumni Corps, Baltimore, MD 2009-2010, 2012 (Honor Guard / Volunteer)

Reilly Raiders Alumni Corps, Willow Grove, PA 2011-? (Rifle Line)

SHoF, Class of 2008

I started following drum corps in 1967, when my older brothers joined the Raiders of 88, a local junior corps from Highland Park, NJ... next town over from where we lived.

I joined the Raiders in the fall of 1967 after their first season on the field.... but the corps folded a couple of months after that. (There is an interesting story about why the corps folded... but I'm not sure it's appropriate for this thread.)

My brothers joined the Little Falls Cadets in north Jersey for the 1968 season.... that corps then folded after the season.

My brother Lenny then joined the Manville Crusaders junior corps, while my brother Marty enlisted in the Air Force. Thankfully, neither the Crusaders nor the Air Force folded as the result of them joining. :tongue:

As my signature says... my first year marching, with the Manville Crusaders, was 1971.